The Manhattan Project: Chain Reaction» Forums » Rules

Subject: Winning the game (clarification) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Harlow
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
After reading the rules and watching some videos I am a little confused on the final scoring.

I know that the final round is triggered when 10 kilotons has been reached by one player according to the rules.

When watching some videos it seems like everyone is using the points on the bomb as, the most points wins the game. Not sure if I have seen anyone adding in the 1/2 points for uranium. In fact in one gencon demo video, a rep of the company said first to 10 wins and no mention of letting anyone else finish the round or how to score the game.

As for the rule book, it says the scoring is:

"equal to all bomb plan plus bomb loaded cards you played plus 1/2 the total uranium left in your supply"

I take that as one point per bomb card and 1 point per bomb loaded card and 1 point for every 2 uranium.

Also in the paragraph of flavor text at the top left of the rulebook it says

"once someone has built 10 kilotons of bombs the final round will finish and the player with the most bombs will win"

So which one is it?? Am I interpreting the rules wrong or have all the videos been getting it wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An interesting interpretation... Which leads me to a rather silly question: Why do you think the bombs have different kiloton ratings? Why ever build a bomb too big to weaponize?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the paragraph above the one you quoted it says "each bomb plan is worth a number of points" this is what the "equal to all the bomb plans ... you played" is referring to. It later says (in the same paragraph) that "when one player has built at least 10 points of bombs and bomb loaded cards, the game will end at the end of that round, when the player to the start player's right has had their last turn" So the round does finish fully and others can win if they get higher score.

Also, while it says that you round down the half points for uranium, the designer himself said this was a silly rule and to feel free to count them as is.
Yellowcake will still be a tie breaker if necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Harlow
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Here is a quote from the designer from my same question on the Kickstarter comments.

"Scoring is best done as bomb points + loaded points + .5 per uranium and then use yellowcake as a tie breaker. That may not be exactly what it says in the rulebook but it's better to do it this way. I was worried about having .5 points in the game/rules and so the rulebook doesn't do it that way. But it's the best way so feel free to use that as I'm the designer "

Definitely clarifies my confusion. Even though I kinda like how I was interpreting the rules as well. Seems like it might allow for a different kind of strategy. One person may end the game by getting 2 big bombs but another player could have completed 3-4 smaller bombs and still have a chance of winning. Basically just using the 10 point rule as the timer for the game. I would assume that this may lead to the uranium being super valuable.

Maybe I'll just try it both ways when I finally get the group together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Harlow
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
@Krsnaji the rules separating the end game and the scoring into different paragraphs and the opening text led me to interpret the kiloton ratings as basically a timer to end the game and start the scoring process. And then the 2 sentences talking about most bombs completed and scoring is equal to cards played sounded like 1 point per bomb.

Hopefully my confusion at least makes sense and I'm not a complete dummy.

The designer did clarify it for me and I am incorrect in my interpretation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.