$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 132.75

7,775 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
49% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Gorechosen» Forums » Rules

Subject: Movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Duncan Cole
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
Played a game of this last night and had a blast but one thing we were not sure on is the movement. Specifically, if you play a card that can move your character multiple hexes do you have to move in a straight line? In the rules it says you can move in any direction but is that only for the first hex or can you move in any direction all along the path, creating a winding or double backing(?) path as you do so, as long as you obey the facing rule on the card for the last hex? We played the latter and it seemed to work fine but thematically it seemed like the cards, with names like 'Charge', implied a straight movement direction.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Footnote wrote:
Played a game of this last night and had a blast but one thing we were not sure on is the movement. Specifically, if you play a card that can move your character multiple hexes do you have to move in a straight line? In the rules it says you can move in any direction but is that only for the first hex or can you move in any direction all along the path, creating a winding or double backing(?) path as you do so, as long as you obey the facing rule on the card for the last hex? We played the latter and it seemed to work fine but thematically it seemed like the cards, with names like 'Charge', implied a straight movement direction.


You can move in any direction as long as you adhere to the facing rule at the end. This question came up in the big thread of questions here in the forums. If you haven't read it, it's worth checking out, as the designer was there confirming answers for a lot of other questions you might come up with.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Cole
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
Thanks for the clarification.

I did see, and have read, that other thread but the indirect nature of the answer to the movement question (a reply to a comment where the original question was nested a layer down) meant I still wasn't sure of the answer. I also find separate question threads easier to search through so thought I might do the same for this game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Footnote wrote:
Thanks for the clarification.

I did see, and have read, that other thread but the indirect nature of the answer to the movement question (a reply to a comment where the original question was nested a layer down) meant I still wasn't sure of the answer. I also find separate question threads easier to search through so thought I might do the same for this game.


No worries. I wasn't complaining about you starting a thread for this particular question, I was just pointing you towards that other thread because it covers a lot of other questions, and the designer was there confirming everything.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Jönsson
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The facing rule makes it hard to charge and end up facing the enemy directly if you don't go directly at him. I tried several times to outflank an enemy and given enough space it was doable, but with the pits in the way I ended up sort of rushing past the enemy and having to fight him from the side.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Throwing in a GeekImage just to clarify cases:



Say Kore Hammerskull (two-handed hammer guy top center) plays a Charge (3 + Green arrow). So he could move 1 down and be facing Redarg? He could also do that move 1 down, then head 2 top-right to go adjacent Heldrax. In both cases, he would be facing his opponent, since for facing only the relation of the penultimate and the final space matter (for Green and Red arrow moves)?

To engage Vexnar (bottom-right opponent), Kore could go 1 down-left and then 2 down-right (or 1 down, 1 down-right), end up facing Vexnar?

It's weird that you could play Charge, move back three hexes in a row and your facing would then flip possibly a full 180 from the facing you started at, more like a full-on Retreat than a Charge (unless there was an enemy behind you three hexes away). In terms of card terminology I mean, probably just best to ignore the name and focus on number and arrow color.

Of course, Kore is at his best one row away, so he probably wouldn't want to get into any of his opponents' faces, not up close.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Throwing in a GeekImage just to clarify cases:



Say Kore Hammerskull (two-handed hammer guy top center) plays a Charge (3 + Green arrow). So he could move 1 down and be facing Redarg? He could also do that move 1 down, then head 2 top-right to go adjacent Heldrax. In both cases, he would be facing his opponent, since for facing only the relation of the penultimate and the final space matter (for Green and Red arrow moves)?

To engage Vexnar (bottom-right opponent), Kore could go 1 down-left and then 2 down-right (or 1 down, 1 down-right), end up facing Vexnar?

It's weird that you could play Charge, move back three hexes in a row and your facing would then flip possibly a full 180 from the facing you started at, more like a full-on Retreat than a Charge (unless there was an enemy behind you three hexes away). In terms of card terminology I mean, probably just best to ignore the name and focus on number and arrow color.

Of course, Kore is at his best one row away, so he probably wouldn't want to get into any of his opponents' faces, not up close.


Yes, that's correct.

You can move in any direction, but the arrow on the movement icon determines your final facing.

It's worth noting the name of the action usually makes sense based on the additional text. For example, "Charge" lets you move three spaces and then immediately resolve an attack. So, yeah, you could use it to run away, but it's optimal usage is to get up close and batter someone (ie. charge).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.