United States
Unionville
Virginia
flag msg tools
Time for some new overtext
badge
Something will come to mind
mbmbmbmbmb
I was curious as to the differences between versions and since the 1981 version seems to be the most popular among users at BGG I compared the two. I don't have the 1975 version to compare and the 1980 is identical to the 1981 except for the rules. The New Dungeon and Classic Dungeon have many differences too but these didn't seem to be taken into account when the 2012/2014 versions were made as some of the new monsters have the same names but different stats.

If anyone with the 1975 or 2012 versions would like to chime in about other differences I would appreciate it!

Level 1:
The Giant Lizard was replaced by the Minotaur with identical stats.
The Hobgoblins were replaced by a Kobold with identical stats.
The Giant Rats were renamed Dire Rat with identical stats (two of them).
Goblins became just Goblin but the stats stayed the same.
The Secret Door Card is now worth 500 gold instead of nothing.

Level 2:
The Giant Spiders were replaced by Orcs with identical stats (two of them).
The Cage Trap is now only 1-2 turns instead of 1-6 turns.
The Evil Hero was replaced by the Gnoll with identical stats.
Ghouls and Hobgoblins became singular, Ghoul and Hobgoblin.
The Magic Sword is now only worth 500 gold instead of 1000.
The Secret Door Card is worth 500 gold instead of nothing.

Level 3:
The Evil Heroes were replaced by an Evil Cleric and Evil Rogue, both with identical stats.
The Giant Snake was replaced by Lizard folk with identical stats.
The Mummy was replaced by a Zombie with identical stats.
The Slide Trap specifies Level 4 now instead of the next lower level.

Level 4:
The Cage Trap is now only 1-2 turns instead of 1-6.
The Evil Superheroes are replaced by Drow with identical stats (both of them).
The Werewolf is replaced by a Duergar with identical stats.
The Green Slimes are now immune to Lightning Bolts and struck by Fireballs on a 6 or higher.
The Giant is now a Hill Giant with identical stats.
The Giant Snake is now an Owlbear with identical stats.

Level 5:
The Trolls were replaced by Driders with the same stats (two of them).
The Giants were replaced by Fire Giants but are now immune to Fireballs (two of them)
The Green Slimes are replaced by Gelatinous Cubes with the same stats (two of them). Unlike the level 4 Green Slime change, the Gelatinous Cubes are immune to Fireballs and killed by Lightning Bolts on a 6 or higher.
A Mind Flayer was added, not replacing anything in particular and the exact same stats as the Vampire.
The Slide Trap specifies Level 4 instead of the level below. (I'm thinking magic is involved somehow).
There are now two Vampires instead of one.
That's an overall gain of two monsters for level 5.
No difference in treasures.
It's worth noting that the Fighters need a 12 to hit Black Puddings as this was reduced to 10 in some versions and was a 10 for the original 6th level Black Pudding but a 12 for the 5th level ones.

Level 6:
The Black Pudding was replaced by a Dracolich with identical stats.
One Blue Dragon was replaced with a Black Dragon with identical stats. The other Blue Dragon remains the same.
The Purple Worm was replaced by a Carrion Crawler with identical stats.
Both Vampires were removed.
That's an overall loss of two monsters for Level 6.
No change in treasures.

Not much changed in the first three levels except for the Secret Door cards being worth 500 gold now.

I don't really understand the Green Slime change in level 4.

Level 5 has the most changes, the least played area of the game in my experience. It's just too tough for Fighters and Wizards really don't have much trouble on Level 6 to risk the randomness. Plus it has twice the number of chambers that don't provide any treasure. The Slide Trap pushing you back up to level 4 is most likely a typo/copy & paste error from the Level 3 card. edit: 2012 version specifies level 6 for the Slide Trap.

But the change in Level 6 probably has the most impact as it's even easier for Wizards to count cards and correctly guess the spell needed to combat a monster.

I wonder if the new Mind Flayer and extra Vampire for Level 5 were supposed to go on Level 6?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the 1981 version as a kid and have the 2012 version. IIRC, none of the UNderdark monsters were changed in that version. No Driders, Drow, etc. There is an Owlbear, though. So I guess what I'm saying is that some of these changes seem unique to the 2014 version (not surprising considering the Drizztification of the artwork).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have the 1980 version. Not sure how it differs from the 1975 or 1981 versions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Unionville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
silverbowen wrote:
I played the 1981 version as a kid and have the 2012 version. IIRC, none of the UNderdark monsters were changed in that version. No Driders, Drow, etc. There is an Owlbear, though. So I guess what I'm saying is that some of these changes seem unique to the 2014 version (not surprising considering the Drizztification of the artwork).

Actually, Drizzt is one of the Fighters in the game, the other is Cattie-brie.

One of the reviews I read of the 2012 version mentioned 9 monsters for the 6th level while mine only has 7. Can anyone confirm that?

I may just have to break down and buy the 4th edition. And the 1975 edition. And the other 1975 edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Unionville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowsclassic wrote:
I have the 1980 version. Not sure how it differs from the 1975 or 1981 versions.

At the time, gaming companies would package games with whatever parts were available. Some games from 1981 may include parts from the 1980 version and there may possibly be different 1980 versions as well.

The main differences between my 1980 and 1981 are:

The pawns are different shapes. I prefer the 1980 "fat" pawns.

The board color for 1980 is green, 1981 is black. Art is the same on both.

The "RIP" markers for 1980 are black print on tan, 1981 are white on dark brown.

Changes to the rules:

1980 can move through a secret door on the turn you find it
1981 must wait until the next turn to move through a secret door after you find it.

1980 has three monsters per chamber.
1981 has unlimited monsters per chamber. Also, characters in chambers will fight different monsters even if there at the same time.

1980 monster attack table is
7&11 miss,
6&8 Retreat 1 and drop 1 treasure,
4&5&9&10 retreat 2 and drop 1 treasure and lose next turn,
3&12 Drop all treasures and go back to start,
2 Drop all treasures and Killed.

1981 monster attack table is
9-12 miss,
7-8 drop 1 treasure,
4-6 drop 1 treasure and retreat 1 space and lose 1 turn,
3 Drop half your treasure and go back to start,
2 Drop all treasure and Killed.

1980 Wizards start with 6+1d6 spells.
1981 Wizards start with 10 spells.

1980 Wizards can regain 1 spell per turn if in the Start chamber.
1981 has no rules for Wizards regaining spells.

That's all I can find at the moment. I'm sure there's more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Unionville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got the 2012 version and compared it to the new 2014 version.

The Level 2 Magic Sword is worth 1000 gold in 2012, only 500 gold in 2014.

There are two Purple Worms in Level 6 for 2012. They are in Level 5 for 2014. Probably a printing error for 2014.

The Slide Trap in Level 5 specifies falling down to Level 6 in 2012 but specifies falling "up" to Level 4 in 2014. Probably a copy and paste error in the 2014 version as the same words are used on the Level 3 Slide Trap.

The only rules difference I can find is that Wizards regain 1 spell by spending a turn in the start chamber for the 2012 version while they regain 1d6 spells in the 2014 version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.