Hide
6 Posts

Above and Below» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Am I understanding 'harvest' correctly, or is it not that useful? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pat O'Donnell
msg tools
To my understanding, to 'Harvest' you first need to purchase a building that will generate a good, and then wait until the turn ends for it to generate a good.

Then, on the next turn, you must use one of your characters to harvest from this building. If you don't, the building will not produce any more goods at the end of this turn.

I respect that this could be very powerful if at the end of the game you have, say, ore at 5 victory points per ore. However, by then you would only be able to get one ore per turn.

I feel like the reward for sending an extra villager to explore would typically outweigh the cost of a) purchasing this building, b) waiting until the next turn for it to generate something, and c) having to spend a worker to harvest that good.

I've only played a few games, but I've never felt compelled to buy the buildings that generate goods.

Can someone enlighten me as to how they can be more powerful? I have found this game to be incredibly well balanced and very thought out, so I feel like I may personally be missing a detail here.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmb
podonnell wrote:
To my understanding, to 'Harvest' you first need to purchase a building that will generate a good, and then wait until the turn ends for it to generate a good.

Then, on the next turn, you must use one of your characters to harvest from this building. If you don't, the building will not produce any more goods at the end of this turn.

I respect that this could be very powerful if at the end of the game you have, say, ore at 5 victory points per ore. However, by then you would only be able to get one ore per turn.

I feel like the reward for sending an extra villager to explore would typically outweigh the cost of a) purchasing this building, b) waiting until the next turn for it to generate something, and c) having to spend a worker to harvest that good.

I've only played a few games, but I've never felt compelled to buy the buildings that generate goods.

Can someone enlighten me as to how they can be more powerful? I have found this game to be incredibly well balanced and very thought out, so I feel like I may personally be missing a detail here.

Thanks!

No, when you build the building, it comes with a good already so you can immediately harvest if you have a villager for it. It will only generate a new good at the end of the round if there isn't one there.

It's actually pretty useful... it's certainly helped me take the win a few times because of the track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Exploring is risky. You may get something, or you might fail. If you do get something it may not be as useful as you'd like; perhaps it is a reputation when you are already hopelessly behind, or a good you've already put on the 1pt. spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat O'Donnell
msg tools
Born-of-Ashes wrote:
Exploring is risky. You may get something, or you might fail. If you do get something it may not be as useful as you'd like; perhaps it is a reputation when you are already hopelessly behind, or a good you've already put on the 1pt. spot.

This is true, there's a good chance exploring may not be as lucrative, but you still get that building slot if you succeed. And if you were to instead buy a building that generates a good, it would need to be late in the game to be a 3+ VP material, whereas many buildings around the same purchase price may have a flat +3 VP reward.

Or, let's assume there's a +2 ore building on the board as well as an ore generating building. I can use one worker to gain +2 ore immediately, as opposed to a builder and then a harvester thereafter, for one. It would take me two turns and three workers to equal what the two immediate ore would give me... right?

Pauljima wrote:

No, when you build the building, it comes with a good already so you can immediately harvest if you have a villager for it. It will only generate a new good at the end of the round if there isn't one there.

It's actually pretty useful... it's certainly helped me take the win a few times because of the track.

So I could see this being very useful if your advancement track is far developed, and one of the buildings available will generate a +4 or +5 VP material. But if that's the case, it's probably late in the game, and you are spending one builder and one harvester to get a single material.

Alternatively, let's say you get the building early on -- you are generating a material ~6 times throughout the game, but you are giving up one worker 6 times throughout the game, for what is likely a +1 or +2 material. Unless you hold that material until the end of the game and then put it on the track at +4 or +5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Gass
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think you're misunderstanding resource buildings. If it's the kind with two circles, you put two goods tokens on the building, when you buy it, which you can later harvest for 1 worker per token. If it's the kind that refreshes, you put a token on it when you buy it and a new token between rounds if you harvested it.

You always have to harvest to get goods off a building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat O'Donnell
msg tools
Flame112 wrote:
I think you're misunderstanding resource buildings. If it's the kind with two circles, you put two goods tokens on the building, when you buy it, which you can later harvest for 1 worker per token. If it's the kind that refreshes, you put a token on it when you buy it and a new token between rounds if you harvested it.

You always have to harvest to get goods off a building.

This is where my mistake was -- you are correct.

For some reason, I thought the building with the two dots gives you those resources immediately. I was not aware they needed to be harvested from the building.

I will play a few games this way and see if it changes my mind on the continuously refreshing building.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.