15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Re-Theme game to Warhammer variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M U
msg tools
Hi,
i would like to make a retheme of some game to the theme of Warhammer universe for my self. Just bcs i really like this world (both of them,but fantasy more). I dont like so much board games from GW. I prefer asymetrical strategy games. But not sure which game could be good and thematicly nice for this.
I thinking about Cry Havoc, or ctulhu wars ... But, i am not sure.
Do you have any recommendation which games would be nice to do this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrol: Lost!

Just kidding. If it's strictly for personal use, I'd just pick one of your favorite games and go for it. I think something like Nexus Ops or Summoner Wars would be kind of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please don't give more for the Games Workshop Lawyers to do. Seriously.

They are very defensive of their intellectual property, which is their right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

If it is not distributed in any way to anyone ever they will not know, and depending on local laws (or how good lawyers you have) intellectual property laws might not be an issue even if they know (different countries have differebt definitions of fair use or other exceptions that will or will not cover a thing like this).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
pelni wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

If it is not distributed in any way to anyone ever they will not know, and depending on local laws (or how good lawyers you have) intellectual property laws might not be an issue even if they know (different countries have differebt definitions of fair use or other exceptions that will or will not cover a thing like this).

How good lawyers you have will never be as good as how good lawyers games workshop has. And their bankroll will last longer than yours as well.

But yeah, if it's just for yourself and you aren't going to share with anyone, who cares? If you are going to share it as a variant - you are probably not going to get into legal trouble, but if they catch you they wont be too happy about it and will probably force you to take it down.

Why not create your own generic fantasy world and use that? It's more fun, less dangerous, and all of these worlds are pretty generic anyway, especially as represented in a particular game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M U
msg tools
I think there is no problem if it is for personal use. I dont want to upload any photos of my work or do something like that.

For example 15-minute chaos us beauty rework of minute empire.

I just wanna talk about it here. Which game could be fine to do it. I am so sad that old fantasy Warhammer is dead.

And yes, summoner wars sounds fun.)) still in Cry Havoc are to much different factions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GW doesn't really care if you claim something that uses their IP is "just for personal use" or even "fair use". Come on, these are the game publishers that require that your miniatures be painted in a specific "approved" color palette in order to be used in any sponsored event.

In my past experience with people "just talking" about GW IP and reskinning/retheming, someone inevitably posts some picture or uses some keyword (like Space Marine) that GW owns and then BAM - out come the GW lawyers.

Please don't bring that kind of attention down on BGG. It's happened before. It wasn't pretty. It resulted in quite a few projects getting wiped from the database. It was sad.

You "just wanna talk about it here" and I'm "just letting you know that's a bad idea".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean James
United States
Richmond
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. This thread turned into a buzzkill pretty quick.
I guess GW's lawyers have done their job well because we can't even discuss how cool a given game might be in the warhammer universe.
sauron

Sorry I don't have any great suggestions. Maybe Summoner Wars or Battlelore/Command and Colors? I agree that more GW games would be cool. I hope you get some more suggestions in this thread.

I joke about the buzzkills, but they're right that GW's lawyers are...proactive. Talking about what MIGHT be cool is one thing, but openly developing or posting variants using GW's stuff would be bad.

All that being said, go have fun and mod some games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
...In my past experience with people "just talking" about GW IP and reskinning/retheming, someone inevitably posts some picture or uses some keyword (like Space Marine) that GW owns and then BAM - out come the GW lawyers....

Even when they don't own the phrase, as with Space Marine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M U
msg tools
Oh man .. Sad world
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Proctor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there a few fans who use the 5150 rules with the 40k background.

Including;
http://miksminis.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/un40k-game-of-5150.h...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Wow. This thread turned into a buzzkill pretty quick.
I guess GW's lawyers have done their job well because we can't even discuss how cool a given game might be in the warhammer universe.

sauron

That's their whole point. A few years back, GW wanted every gamer to be redirected to their own website.
That meant - for them - shutting down every site that was about them or their products.

Easier to control posts and content made there i guess...

- Online stores cannot display pictures of the products they want to sell.
- Fan sites cannot reference GW products without GW's consent.
- BGG itself being forced to remove tons of pictures and content.
- B&M stores having VERY strict rules on how they can present GW products.
- etc.

So the OP can so whatever he wants and retheme his game however his design requires. But he can't put pictures of it and if his project gets too much attention, they'll find a way to make him stop even talking about it... maybe with a notice to destroy his project.

This said, the OP should really just take a game he likes and re-theme that. Pandemic where you have to fend off the 4 chaos thingies? Splendor with Orks? Memoir 44 Orks VS Humans?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:

- Fan sites cannot reference GW products without GW's consent.
- BGG itself being forced to remove tons of pictures and content.

The first part is not true at all. While GW did put the hammer down on sites using their trademarks and copyrights, referencing GW products was not a problem at all.

The last part was just an insane over-reaction. GW sent a letter saying "Hey, BGG has some of our pictures and unauthorised copyrighted stuff on it, remove the infringing stuff" and the mods wiped everything indiscriminately. I helped run a site received a similar letter, we just took down the infringing bits and left everything else up.

deedob wrote:

So the OP can so whatever he wants and retheme his game however his design requires. But he can't put pictures of it and if his project gets too much attention, they'll find a way to make him stop even talking about it... maybe with a notice to destroy his project.

They aren't the mafia, they really don't care if you retheme a game to have their IP and show everyone pictures of it, just don't give the files out to everyone on the web.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
Pandemic where you have to fend off the 4 chaos thingies?

Pandemic: Nurgle - with one of the options being Exterminatus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R T
Portugal
LX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a little sugestion, https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/138205/skirmish-tact....
I helped a little developing it and seems almost what you have in mind. More if you look the STF variant https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1420183/stf-first-scena....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.