Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
We have an advisor with a +2 gold sticker on it (applying to a specific province.) Does this extra cost also apply when purchasing the advisor with reputation, or only when using gold to purchase?

From a flavor perspective I'm inclined to suggest that it applies to both, but a strict reading of the rules suggests that you pay only gold or only reputation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lactamaeon wrote:
We have an advisor with a +2 gold sticker on it (applying to a specific province.) Does this extra cost also apply when purchasing the advisor with reputation, or only when using gold to purchase?

From a flavor perspective I'm inclined to suggest that it applies to both, but a strict reading of the rules suggests that you pay only gold or only reputation.

It wasn't entirely clear to us either. Here's what we decided and why:
We decided that the +2 gold cost applied regardless of how you hire the advisor, so if you use rep, then it costs rep +2 gold. The purpose of the sticker is to make it harder to hire the advisor, and if the rep cost stays the same, then that hasn't happened. And keep in mind that while this IS a penalty for the player involved, they also got a nice bonus, too!

In any case, I hope you either get an official answer, or come to a conclusion that seems reasonable to your table!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah I think that's what we're leaning towards. Thanks :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we decided the opposite of Becq. But I don't think it's been relevant yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think either interpretation can be justified, and the relevance may be determined by the card involved. For example
I find that I almost always use rep to pay for 1 rep / 4 gold advisors. If I had to put the +2 gold sticker on such leader, and we interpreted it as increasing only the gold cost, then the sticker would be absolutely irrelevant. On the other hand, our interpretation basically results in that player not choosing that leader, which feels like the spirit of what the event intended.

Note that either way, I don't see the impact on the game being very large, as there are (first + second box spoiler)
a huge deck of advisors to choose from now. At the rate this I expect that the only advisors we're likely to see in back-to-back games are the ones we carry over...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
We have a slightly different question related to that sticker:

The player who got the +2 gold sticker on his advisor was also the game winner. So the winner's advisor has a cost of 3 (+2 for him). The highest advisor retained by another player was a 4 cost. So does the winner get to keep his advisor for next game?

We ruled no, because the cost for him is 5. But if there's a ruling somewhere that conflicts that or a reasoning that does I'd love to know about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We would have ruled as you did, Joseph. I don't think it's a huge deal either way (in the long run).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both issues are clarified here by JR:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24032761#24032761

If you pay with reputation, you pay with reputation only.

The +2 gold does not apply for advisor-carryover to the next game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.