Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Lindén
Sweden
Lund
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a duplicate of a post I made on bgdf.com. Perhaps this forum has the same followers, but I'll give it a try and see.

I like it whenever I see dice implemented in a creative way, and have therefore spent some time thinking of different ways that this could be done. There's one quite unorthodox mechanic which I think I've quite a long time ago. Never played the game so I'm not sure exactly but I remember the core mechanic and have made the outlines for a game based on that.

Use a chessboard (8x8 squares). Two players roll eight dice each of different colors (one rolls white and the other black) and place them on the eight squares at each end of the board. Then they make a move one by one. When moving you may move as many steps as the dice shows, for each step you "roll" the dice 90° in the direction your moving, so that a new number is showing. If the result was '4' you will end up with the same number but otherwise you will have a new value depending on the number of squares you moved. If you run into a die of your own color you may move on top of it but that costs one move extra. If you run into a die of the opposite color you may conquer it (removing it from the board) if the new value on your die will be higher than that die. If the conquered die is on top of another die both values of those dice may be added. If you run into a die but can't conquer it or roll on top of it you may end your move there.

Rough layout, I haven't tested anything, but like I said I have the feeling this game or something quite similar already exists. Anyone recognizes it? I can already think of more rules that could be added to this. Unique movement possibilities for different numbers. Different colored dice that cause different effects. But before I pour any time into this I'd like to take a look at the original game, if anyone can point me to it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Lower Hutt, WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Think of me as the Bishop of East Anglia
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you talking Three Pips?

The mechanism you describe is different but the setup similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Category:Hostess fruit pie ads featuring
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
Duell
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, that "roll a cube to its next face as you move it to the next square on the board" mechanism is also used in other games without standard dice, e.g. Kingdom Quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stone
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chesstique

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Rowlands
United Kingdom
Amersham
Bucks
flag msg tools
mb
Sort of quantum like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
32 Dice sounds similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brieger
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cube Checkers has a similar mechanic in which die are playing pieces and can capture pieces that have value less than them. The rolling is done always to the next number up though, so 3->4, 4->5.

It's actually quite a good little improvement on checkers. Esp for kids in the 8-12 range where they've started moving beyond regular checkers in terms of strategic thinking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lindén
Sweden
Lund
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for your responses. I forgot to subscribe to this thread and therefore forgot about it.
Duell is the game I was thinking of, although the rules I described don't really match. I never played the game, only have a vague memory that it used the described mechanism of tumbling dice when moving them. Cool to see that there are several games out there using a similar mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Alandor wrote:
Thanks all for your responses. I forgot to subscribe to this thread and therefore forgot about it.

(FWIW you can set your subscription preferences to automatically subscribe you to a thread which you create. You can also set them to automatically subscribe you to a thread in which you comment. I find that very useful!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lindén
Sweden
Lund
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I was surprised it didn't do that. My settings must have changed somehow...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brettell
Australia
South Turramurra
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Alandor wrote:

(FWIW you can set your subscription preferences to automatically subscribe you to a thread which you create. You can also set them to automatically subscribe you to a thread in which you comment. I find that very useful!)

Russ, since you seem knowledgeable about such things, is it possible to subscribe to a forum (I'm thinking about the WIP one), such that you get notification of new threads, but NOT everyone's comments on older threads? I'd like to get notification of new WIP games, but then be able to choose to subscribe to them or not. Thanks very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
brettellmd wrote:
Russ, since you seem knowledgeable about such things, is it possible to subscribe to a forum (I'm thinking about the WIP one), such that you get notification of new threads, but NOT everyone's comments on older threads? I'd like to get notification of new WIP games, but then be able to choose to subscribe to them or not. Thanks very much.

On your subscription preferences page
https://boardgamegeek.com/subscriptions/prefs
I believe that if you look at the 2nd column ("Include in subscriptions (defaults)...") in the "items" section and set "threads" to "Yes" and "replies" to "No", then it will do what you want.

That is how I have it, and I get notifications for new threads for things I've subscribed to, e.g. to games (and I assume it works the same for subscribing to forums), and I do not get notifications for all new comments in all threads, only for new comments in those threads to which I've explicitly chosen to subscribe.

Another possibly useful tip: set "Geeklist items" to be "No" in that "items" section if you are plagued by useless geeklist spam on games you're subscribed to. I find that most appearances of games as geeklist entries are meaningless uninteresting noise often not even related to the game (someone just used the game title because the title relates to the subject of their non-game-related geeklist entry.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brettell
Australia
South Turramurra
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

That's awesome - thanks Russ. Can't believe I've never visited that page before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.