Subject: Note Taking Strategies? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Dugger

Corvallis
Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game last night as the Radio Operative for the USS Boaty McBoatface. I really like Nikoli's collection of pencil puzzle games, and the role seems ripe to import markings and nomenclature.

First thoughts:
1. An ultrafine point dry erase pen is probably a good tool for the role -- more legible notes!

2. Dotted lines for silent running options worked out well -- the opponent fell out of superposition fairly quickly when I tried it.

3. Different pen colors could be useful for tracking surfacing etc.

4. I just wrote an M on the point where a mine was laid from, but I suppose there's only two possible places for the mine to be when they move out.

5. The transparency opens up possibilities on the puzzle genre. It seems advantageous to annotate on the map where our mines are, and where the enemy can't be, but ink smudged onto my transparency when I tried it.

There's a variety of notes I'd like to take, like a torpedo was fired at location G5, or sonar scan confirmed they're not in sector 6. Not sure how to do that yet.

Anyone else have ideas on being a better radio operator?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mines can be placed in up to 8 spaces (diagonally counts), even behind you. All you know is that they can't move through it.

I think the most important ones are sonar/drone info and torpedo shots.

I note mines as a bubble with an m

Torpedos I actually draw on the map, not the acetate. It's 100% known. So I draw a diamond representing all possible launch locations. Then I mark the acetate with a diamond at their last location to remember. (More times than not, they're actually on the very edge of the diamond)

I have an annotation for sonar and drone info, basically the quadrant asked and maybe an x over it. Sonar is tougher, you just need to write both bits. I also write down when the opponent calls for drones, it can help deduce their thought process (its in a circle).

Silence is very difficult because they don't need to move all 4 spaces. Its 1-4, and as such can create a terrible headache. My advice is to start a brand-new tracking but don't erase the old (colors would help here) and as you narrow down the location back check it against their pre-silence track.

If they surface I start tracking from their current location directly on the map, so if they use silence I can create the possible tracks (dotted) and switch back to the acetate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Wisconsin Rapids
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
pwnguin wrote:
the USS Boaty McBoatface

We had a boat named Boaty McBoatface, too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be careful with doing things like using alternate colours or markers. By doing so you are giving yourself an unfair advantage unless your opponent's communications officer is also provided with coloured markers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

iswearihaveajob wrote:
Silence is very difficult because they don't need to move all 4 spaces. Its 1-4,

Actually, it's 0-4. Check out some of the recent threads about this topic.

Anyway, I like the idea of marking the torpedo detonation point directly on the map. Makes sense. I hadn't thought of that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Llewellyn
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iswearihaveajob wrote:
Mines can be placed in up to 8 spaces (diagonally counts), even behind you. All you know is that they can't move through it.

You can not place a mine on an Island or the path you have been...you can not also move into a space with your own mine.

This leaves you with 6 not 8 positions of placement depending on your heading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Wild
United States
Kennesaw
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
knightstalker30 wrote:
iswearihaveajob wrote:

You can not place a mine on an Island or the path you have been...you can not also move into a space with your own mine.

You can get that up to 7 if you drop a mine immediately upon diving after a surface. Our teams love to have mines and running silent ready when surfacing, so that they can both be used to maximize the number of possibilities to confound the other radio operator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
Wildman0326 wrote:
knightstalker30 wrote:
iswearihaveajob wrote:

You can get that up to 7 if you drop a mine immediately upon diving after a surface. Our teams love to have mines and running silent ready when surfacing, so that they can both be used to maximize the number of possibilities to confound the other radio operator.

In another thread, one of Matagot's people commented that you need to issue a movement order after diving before you can use other systems, and you have to order a movement between two system activations, so no chaining Silent Running with other skills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.