1 Posts

Archaeology: The New Expedition» Forums » Variants

Subject: 2 player variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Bolton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I recently purchased this game, and have played it a few times with two players. I found it enjoyable but felt there was often a lack of interesting decisions to make each turn. I think this is partly because, with only two players, there isn't much turnover in the marketplace, which can quickly get clogged up with pot shards and parchment scraps and nothing else. To try to solve this problem, we implemented a small house rule for our last few games:

- Every time a player sells a set to the museum, the top card of the deck is added to the marketplace. If two sets are sold, the top two cards are added, and so on. If there are no cards left in the deck, this variant is ignored.
- The card(s) are added at the end of the turn of the player selling to the museum. Therefore the player who did not sell to the museum has the first chance to buy the new card(s).
- If the card added to the marketplace is a sandstorm, it is resolved in the normal way, but it is not replaced with another card from the deck (i.e. only the cards discarded by both players due to the sandstorm are added to the market).
- If the card added to the market is a thief, both players lose one card (chosen at random by their opponent). These cards are both added to the market.

I've only tested this three times so far, but it seems to work well. Maps and other high value cards turn up in the market, and players have to decide whether to abandon and trade in a set they've been working on to be able to purchase these new cards. Also, players must weigh up the chances of such high value cards appearing and helping their opponent when considering selling to the museum.

If anyone tries this variant, please let me know what you think of it!

UPDATE: We've played with this rule quite a few more times now, and would no longer play without it. It just makes the game much more interesting. However, we've made a slight change, so the first point above would now read:

- After each turn in which a player sells to the museum, the top card of the deck is added to the marketplace. Only one card is added, regardless of how many sets were sold that turn. If there are no cards left in the deck, this variant is ignored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.