Terraforming Mars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Claim a Milestone rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerritjan Roubos
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's say Red was the first one with a TR of 35 M€. But he has not enough money to pay 8 M€, or he has had 2 Actions already.
In Yellow's turn he also reaches 35 M€.
Can Yellow pay 8 M€ and claim the first Milestone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roubosga wrote:
Let's say Red was the first one with a TR of 35 M€. But he has not enough money to pay 8 M€, or he has had 2 Actions already.

Yes, there is no requirement to be first to do something, only that the milestone is still available to be claimed when you meet the conditions and are able to take an action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Koenig
Germany
Fuerth
Bayern
flag msg tools
Tom is crazy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes and that's one of those instances where planning your potential combo-TWO actions turn wisely is important, or someone else might be faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
This exact thing cost me the game yesterday. I missed an obvious move, had 35 MC before anyone but couldn't claim the milestone. The player who beat me in the end by 5 points is the one who claimed it. shake

I've played this four times now and come in second every time. I'm liking this more and more with every frustrating play...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
Relax wrote:
This exact thing cost me the game yesterday. I missed an obvious move, had 35 MC before anyone but couldn't claim the milestone. The player who beat me in the end by 5 points is the one who claimed it. shake

I've played this four times now and come in second every time. I'm liking this more and more with every frustrating play...

Totally agree with you Danny. My gf has become a Terraforming Mars Guru and won 4 out of the 5 times we have played.shake

Very frustrating but in a good "I know I can do better" way and I can't wait to play again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Logan
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Relax wrote:

but if you had the spent the 8 coins, wouldn't you possibly have lost at least 1 other point?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
Relax wrote:

but if you had the spent the 8 coins, wouldn't you possibly have lost at least 1 other point?

Quite possibly, but it would have been a ten point shift, five down for him, five up for me, so I would have been five points ahead...

But you're right, it's hard to know for certain how things would have played out because, obviously, they would have played out differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Love Nilsson
Sweden
Trelleborg
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmb
Roubosga wrote:
… with a TR of 35 M€

Relax wrote:
… had 35 MC before anyone but couldn't claim the milestone.

Terrform Rating (TR) is a separat unit. You get income equal to your TR + your M€ production but using the unit M€/MC when discussing this milestone will only serve to confuse people.

When your player marker reaches 35 on the score track, that's when you can claim the Terraformer milestone. M€ has nothing to do with this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerritjan Roubos
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LoveNson wrote:
Roubosga wrote:
… with a TR of 35 M€

Relax wrote:

Terrform Rating (TR) is a separat unit. You get income equal to your TR + your M€ production but using the unit M€/MC when discussing this milestone will only serve to confuse people.

When your player marker reaches 35 on the score track, that's when you can claim the Terraformer milestone. M€ has nothing to do with this.

I understand, I meant TR 35 indeed blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LoveNson wrote:
Roubosga wrote:
… with a TR of 35 M€

Relax wrote:

Point taken, but to be truly pedantic, your player marker reaching 35 on the Terraforming rating track is what allows the Terraformer Milestone to be claimed. Referring to score may confuse the same people you mentioned because they might think you add any VPs on cards.

Amazingly, the only thing that matters when claiming the Terrafomer Milestone is a company's Terrafoming rating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esa Ryömä
Finland
Helsinki
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roubosga wrote:
or he has had 2 Actions already.

*Raises hand* Aaaand now I notice that you can do 2 actions per turn, whereas we have played 1 action per turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dorton
United States
Norton
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How in the world can anyone get a 35 TR before people place 3 cites, 3 Greenery tiles and have 16 cards in their hand? Those 3 (sometimes 8 buildings over the 16 cards in hand) but I've never been in a game that there was milestones available when someone gets to 35?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BBBD77 wrote:
How in the world can anyone get a 35 TR before people place 3 cites, 3 Greenery tiles and have 16 cards in their hand? Those 3 (sometimes 8 buildings over the 16 cards in hand) but I've never been in a game that there was milestones available when someone gets to 35?

It's the 16 cards in hand milestone that I rarely see taken, and when it is the player who grabs it is usually so far behind everyone else in engine building that they never score very high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Relax wrote:
BBBD77 wrote:

It's the 16 cards in hand milestone that I rarely see taken, and when it is the player who grabs it is usually so far behind everyone else in engine building that they never score very high.

The only time I've seen that one taken is by players using a beginner corporation who start with 10 cards for free and even then they have disadvantage themselves by not playing as many cards as they usefully could have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BBBD77 wrote:

I was able to this with the United Nations corporation. It's effect allows you to purchase a TR advance if you already advanced once in the generation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Stückl
Germany
flag msg tools
BBBD77 wrote:

It's actually pretty easy to do.
Terraforming the planet is a great way to boost your initial income, so doing it early on helps a lot, and you can pick off this milestone while you're at it.
In contrast, building cities early on isn't the best deal, since they most likely won't be adjacent to any greeneries and won't score well, while only increasing your income slightly.
Also, getting up to 8 building tags isn't that easy either, since you actually have to draw 8 tags first, and people can easily get to 35TR before you do that.
As for building 3 greeneries, it's expensive to do so, and you could just increase your production instead (which is usually what you'll try to do early on). Also, placing 3 greenery tiles somewhere on the map creates a perfect opportunity for somebody else to steal your points with a well-timed city, unless you also want to build that one yourself.

Of course, if everyone just mindlessly tries to grab a milestone, you can't race them with the terraformer milestone, but they are most likely not using their resources as efficiently as they could then.

That said, certain corporations are clearly favored in the race towards a certain milestone (Tharsis, Ecoline, Mining Guild/Interplanetary Cinematics), and that can make it harder to reach any of them.
Also, note that the number of players can make a pretty big difference here, since there are more people you compete with, and the game length will be shorter (less generations), probably making it harder to get to those 35 TR, though this is true for all milestones.

Sebastian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odyzeus Longbow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three cities is usually the LAST milestone reached in our games - cities come late if at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Chalmers
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Roubosga wrote:

If it comes back to your turn and you have the money then can you claim the milestone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerritjan Roubos
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sador42 wrote:
Roubosga wrote:

If it comes back to your turn and you have the money then can you claim the milestone?

Yes, if Yellow didn't, you can for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.