1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: My Hasbro Lament from Australia. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike P
msg tools
mbmb
So a stream of enthusiastic reactions to this nightmare has been polluting my Facebook feed over the past couple of weeks.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/competitions/...

You can't go to a local forum without someone asking who still has copies of the mini board games in stock and exclamations like "Oh! I love Monopoly!", "I know what we're going to be playing all weekend!" and so forth.

I've made a few gentle comments in the threads, linking to Shut Up and Sit Down's intro to modern board gaming video on the like, but not so much as a thumb's up or a curious "thankyou".

I tried a similar post on my own Facebook page.

A friend of mine said that this promotion "wasn't aimed at board gamers but at the general public" and what I was doing was "a hipster's lament".

Sigh. People were getting excited about bad board games, blissfully unaware that far better alternatives exist.

I feel like the only guy in the world who watches Game of Thrones or the first season of True Detective and everyone else is getting excited over reruns of The Brady Bunch, Gilligan's Island, MASH, or I Love Lucy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orpheus
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True point - those games are horrible (with numerous low ratings), though I believe your friend is correct given that the Telegraph's audience is a very general/broad audience - what they're doing makes sense PR-wise - they're making a move involving the accepted canon of board games amongst that audience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike P
msg tools
mbmb
Yep,

I'm not saying the newspapers doing this are making a bad business decision. I'm just sad about it happening and am trying to encourage people in threads that I see about it to at least think about the alternatives or even things that they could have in ADDITION to these games.

Hey, you're excited about these games -- obviously you find board games appealing..... why don't you check this out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, in my opinion, its not really an issue of education that there are better alternatives. Just look at all the crap television/music people consume. You can't really claim people aren't aware better shows exist, and they they don't watch them. Some people like to be challenged and have new experiences but most people want the same garbage spoon fed over and over again.

Just call me Dr Sunshine. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take the positives, more people will get into board games and some of those will research a little further to find modern games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J T
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nemspy wrote:

I feel like the only guy in the world who watches Game of Thrones or the first season of True Detective and everyone else is getting excited over reruns of The Brady Bunch, Gilligan's Island, MASH, or I Love Lucy.

Meh - I`d watch all of those over Game of Thrones any day (and have never heard of True Detective)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffcuetis wrote:
nemspy wrote:

Meh - I`d watch all of those over Game of Thrones any day (and have never heard of True Detective)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffcuetis wrote:
nemspy wrote:

Yeah, I don't think this is the analogy the OP is looking for...
It is like saying Munchkin is better than Chess because it is newer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J T
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
jeffcuetis wrote:
nemspy wrote:

You'd better sit down for the next revelation - I don't like coffee either
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike P
msg tools
mbmb
jeffcuetis wrote:
nemspy wrote:

I'm not saying that these older shows (particularly MASH) are bad shows. It's just that they have been around the block so many times already.

I don't like coffee, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
For a large portion of the population board games are just an activity to pass the time and not a hobby like they are for many of us here.

I frequently play games that "suck" with my kids, but I don't mind, I'm solely doing it as a social activity I can do with my kids to pass the time. Those games tend to be readily available, cheap and easy to teach (and I don't care if they trash them).

That said, I think a contest sponsored by a company who specializes in "non-gamer" boards games is the wrong platform to try and educate people on modern board games. Most of those people aren't going to care because they aren't looking to invest a lot of money, time, and energy into games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Giant_Monster wrote:
For a large portion of the population board games are just an activity to pass the time and not a hobby like they are for many of us here.

We all have serious hobbies and things we aren't seriously into. You could re-write your sentence, swapping out "board games" for "wine" and "just an activity to pass the time" to "just an beverage to get a little buzz."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
Up with goats! Down with sheep!
mbmbmbmbmb
nemspy wrote:

A friend of mine said that this promotion "wasn't aimed at board gamers but at the general public" and what I was doing was "a hipster's lament".

Smart friend.

Quote:

I Love Lucy and MASH are two of the most brilliant shows every produced for television.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
nemspy wrote:
I'm not saying that these older shows (particularly MASH) are bad shows. It's just that they have been around the block so many times already.

I don't like coffee, either.
There's a 'reason' from "thems":

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a simple solution for you. In three steps...
1. Get off facebook.
2. Stop reading the Tele
3. Stop listening to WSFM

Oh and get back to watching some great classic comedies.

Until this post I was unaware of the competition, but then
I don't listen to WSFM. More likely to be listening to one of the ABC stations. Classic FM ATM.
I don't read the Tele. More likely to curl up with a fantasy novel. Better chance to be real and accurate news there.
and I DON'T use facebook.

For that matter I don't watch GoT (did read the books) or True Detective (Whatever that is) either. And I don't drink coffee yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Giant_Monster wrote:
That said, I think a contest sponsored by a company who specializes in "non-gamer" boards games is the wrong platform to try and educate people on modern board games.

Well, Hasbro nonetheless published HeroScape -- and even HeroQuest -- which certainly had their hobby-gamer fans. They also brought back RoboRally and Acquire, and finally put out an expansion for Betrayal. Not that they have the best relationship with Wizards of the Coast, but, WotC recently released their fourth D&D Adventure Game, Temple of Elemental Evil. Hasbro's also working with the fan community in non-boardgame projects, such as (ahem) My Little Pony, rather than sending out C&D letters.

The problem is that, if you want to make the audience of a niche interest larger, it's more likely that you'll have to change the niche interest to accommodate these people, rather than have them change to become engaged in the niche interest. I hope we can go in *both* directions, particularly since if I don't agree with how Hasbro is going with their new games, I still have their old ones to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
NINE LITTLE LETTERS
badge
FECK! ARSE! DRINK! GIRLS!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can lead a horse to water...

I think you need to recognise that our hobby is still quite niche. While we may see it growing exponentially, it will still take a long time before it becomes mainstream.

I have managed to "convert" many people away from the mainstream fare, but it's not something most people will do themselves, they have to be led into it. Principally because most of our types of games remain "daunting" to most people. You're also looking at a substantial investment to buy a game, on the off chance it will be well received. A lot of people simply aren't willing to take that risk.

While WE may all be converts, not everyone will; and proselytizing to them is likely to be more of a turn-off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank La Terra
Australia
flag msg tools
Is it wrong that I want that collection? (But it looks like I'm a week too late!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nemspy wrote:

Some people like wholesome entertainment with no blood, sex, and rape. But, with board games.

\/\/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you even stopped to consider that the Daily Telegraph is the Monopoly of the 'journalism' world?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not everyone will ever want to play board games other than Monopoly. But this is still a good start, cheap, classic games. And some people who play might just start thinking "This is ok, but I wonder what else is out there". And thats when you strike like a ninja!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selwyn Hope
Australia
Cannington
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a similar comment after hearing about the promotion.

Then I realised that Hasbro has such a mass production that they can make these for about the $2 fee, whereas any other modern game would cost $10-$20 instead.

I really wish they would also include an article about modern board games in each of the papers running this promotion though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cesspit wrote:
I really wish they would also include an article about modern board games in each of the papers running this promotion though

But then that would encourage people not to get the promotion items ;-)

(otherwise, its a great idea, I agree)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike P
msg tools
mbmb
ReluctantFr0g wrote:
nemspy wrote:

Some people like wholesome entertainment with no blood, sex, and rape. But, with board games.

\/\/

Perhaps bad examples. Replace those titles with "array of Amazing TV that is available today". Nothing wrong with most of those older shows. There's just more to see now and not checking them out is limiting your experiences is my point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally speaking, if you want to introduce someone to a better version of something they enjoy, it's counterproductive to trash what they already like first...

Pete (recites something about flies and honey)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.