Popular Tags: [View All]
David Brown
United Kingdom
Stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For what is a relatively straightforward game he rules can be a little vague

5.4 NRC Grants

5.4.5 NRC Grants to be made overseas between two countries five or more Maritime areas apart are subject to a surcharge of 1.2 an NCR for each NRC granted

yet

5.4.6 . Grant to or from Russia have a surcharge of 1 NRC for each NRC if the areas of Gallipoli, Contantinople,Scutari and Bursa are neither neutral nor controlled by the allies

As Russia can be reached via the Baltic, does 5.4.5 trump 5.4.6 or does 5.4.6 trump 5.4.5?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Baltic is closed to NRC grants therefor 5.4.6 trumps 5.4.5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United Kingdom
Stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi James, thanks for the response

Have I missed that in the rules, or is it in the errata

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Hilton
United States
Millburn
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don’t believe that you missed anything in the rules, but that they are, as you say, “vague.” I believe that the intention of the rules is that the Baltic is closed to NRC traffic, but that is a conclusion of mine based on inference.

There are a few clues here. First, the existence of rule 5.4.6 that you cite suggests (to me anyway) that in the absence of control or neutrality of the four areas mentioned in the rule, granting NRCs to Russia must necessarily carry a 100% surcharge.

But one might ask, what about the Baltic? Couldn’t NRCs be granted to Russia via that route, with just a 50% surcharge? Here things get murky (again, to me).

In the original 1976 Errata, there was the statement “Naval movement from the North Sea to or from the Baltic Sea may only be via the Kiel Canal or the narrow sea between Zealand and Jutland,” and this sentence was included In the new edition of the rules in 8.1 on Naval Movement. But according to the map configuration, that does not really make any sense. A naval unit is not forced to go through either such passage to traverse between the North Sea and the Baltic (this is true in both the original and current versions of the map). I believe (more conjecture on my part), that part of the confusion arises because Norway and Sweden are not represented on the map. If they were, it would be more obvious that there is a real choke point between the North Sea and Baltic that the Germans could easily cut off.

My home rule is that the North Sea-Baltic route is cut off to Naval Movement, NRC grants, supply (and anything else you can think of that might be moved on a boat) unless a player controls (not just neutral) either the Kiel Canal, or both the territories Jutland and Zealand in Denmark.

I suppose it may be possible for the British to ship NRCs to Russia via the Murmansk route, which is not portrayed on the map and which they famously did in World War 2, but I am guessing that, implicitly, this is the route that is used to grant NRCs to/from Russia that carries the 100% surcharge in the absence of the conditions stated in rule 5.4.6.

Admittedly, it's all backward logic, trying to make sense of rule 5.4.6, and I could just be missing something much more obvious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.