Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night, our gaming group ran into an interesting situation. One of the street bonus cards was Broadway. My wife claimed the most northwestern plot of land in the game, the two parcel property just west of Broadway in the red district. Later in the game, she was able to acquire the adjacent property just to the east of that parcel (but still west of Broadway). If you notice on the map, those properties run vertical to Broadway. In essence, only one of those parcels actually touches Broadway. Once she claimed both properties, she wanted to lay two gold buildings horizontally, not vertically (in essence, splitting the two parcels with each building), so that BOTH buildings would be touching Broadway. There was nothing in the rules that states she's not allowed to do this, so we let it happen, but there is also nothing that explicitly addresses this situation either, so we weren't sure. Does anyone know how this should be handled? Because she owns both pieces, should we now look at it as one four parcel piece and ignore the dotted lines between parcels, or should we still view them independently if someone wants to lay multiple buildings in those spaces?

I think the diagram on page three, which shows a green check for a two point piece straddling two distinct parcels of property addresses this, but in that example, the tile laid actually follows the vertical orientation of the two parcels.

Hopefully this isn't too confusing. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John de Wit
Canada
Airdrie
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is permissible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh definitely this is allowed (and smart play to maximize # of buildings on a street). The lots once bought, can just be thought of as individual squares. You can even build on multiple colors. Any skyscraper larger than 3 squares requires more than a single lot.

Rules pg 3 under "Rules for Acquiring and/or Building:"
Quote:
• Skyscrapers can span multiple lots, and multiple Districts.
• 2 or 3 skyscrapers that belong to the same player can occupy the same lot (as long as they do not overlap).
• It is not necessary for a skyscraper to completely fill a lot.

I think the V2 Rules in the Files section have more gameplay examples that may help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Everything connected that you own is yours and can be used as you see fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soosy wrote:
Oh definitely this is allowed (and smart play to maximize # of buildings on a street). The lots once bought, can just be thought of as individual squares. You can even build on multiple colors. Any skyscraper larger than 3 squares requires more than a single lot.

Rules pg 3 under "Rules for Acquiring and/or Building:"
Quote:
• Skyscrapers can span multiple lots, and multiple Districts.
• 2 or 3 skyscrapers that belong to the same player can occupy the same lot (as long as they do not overlap).
• It is not necessary for a skyscraper to completely fill a lot.

I think the V2 Rules in the Files section have more gameplay examples that may help.

Thanks. I guess I was reading the rules a bit too literally. When I read that skyscrapers can span multiple lots, how I believe that applies is when I want to lay down a four square skyscraper on top of two adjacent two square plots. But in this situation, when you want to lay down two separate two square skyscrapers on two separate two square plots, are you allowed to go against the plot direction? I agree with those that posted here that it appears to be allowed, and we allowed it in our play, but there isn't anything definitive in the original or the V2 rules that explicitly addresses this situation.

For instance, on the V2 version of the rules, page 7 under "option 2", the green worker and the two square tile are both laying in the same direction as the plot lines. If these were shown to be running 90 degrees relative to Broadway, that would clarify things for me greatly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chenier La Salle
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for playing Evan.
I see it as my "mini accomplishment" to have made a game system that essentially allows you to build anything you want anywhere on any land you own with as few rules as possible. But sometimes we were guilty of not giving enough examples. Sorry it wasn't clear in the rules.

As some have already noted, you can indeed build anything you want anywhere on land that belongs to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Chenier.

You have built a very interesting and highly thematic game here. The depth really doesn't become apparent until you are about 10-12 moves in. When you first want to build a silver yet you are stuck at 9 on the score track, that's when it hits you. Or when you have claimed a couple of territories, but don't have anything that fits the space you are trying to occupy and you start seeing your workers dry up. Or when you demolish and the building you are demolishing with doesn't quite fill up the previous space and you realize you have to lay down a worker that you didn't really want to allocate to holding the space. The puzzle aspect of the game is something I didn't fully appreciate going in.

I'm looking forward to getting this back to the table and given the fact that my wife kicked all of our asses, that will pretty much ensure it happens in short order! I'm pretty competitive with my better half.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chenier La Salle
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi Evan.
Glad you and your wife enjoy the game! I highly recommend playing with the thresholds at 6 and 18. It's the way I almost always play. It gives you more strategic and tactical choices in terms of the way you use your buildings.
As for the workers, you need to put one back on the board after you demolish, only if the demolition has completely freed up a lot that you own. Lots that are even partially built on do not need a worker because their ownership is made clear by the buildings. Maybe you're already playing that way, just wanted to make sure.
Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shocko wrote:
Hi Evan.
Glad you and your wife enjoy the game! I highly recommend playing with the thresholds at 6 and 18. It's the way I almost always play. It gives you more strategic and tactical choices in terms of the way you use your buildings.
As for the workers, you need to put one back on the board after you demolish, only if the demolition has completely freed up a lot that you own. Lots that are even partially built on do not need a worker because their ownership is made clear by the buildings. Maybe you're already playing that way, just wanted to make sure.
Cheers!

Chenier,

We have been playing with the workers correctly as you describe, but it's interesting that you play with the 6/18 breakpoints. I didn't think to do that, but I can see how it can make more interesting choices because you can do more things earlier in the game. I'm going to try that next time. But I am curious why the expert rules suggest the 10/25 breakpoints if that is the case? Shouldn't they be reversed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chenier La Salle
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
The 10 and 25 thresholds are more demanding so you do indeed get a bit of an accomplishment feeling when you cross them which can be fun.
However, crossing the higher 10 and 25 point thresholds is so demanding that it limits your choices. For example, crossing the 10 point thresholds almost requires you to build the 5 point skyscraper early in the game. With a threshold at 6 rather than 10 you can chose to reach the threshold with more different combinations of buildings which allows you to use them more tactically and strategically. That's why I prefer the standard version. But the 10-25 version does offer a change of pace. It plays best with 2. Playing it with 4 beginners could be dangerous.

On the internet you'll find people that suggest skipping the "basic version" and jumping into the "advanced version". That started mostly with the original printing of the game that included a horrible "introductory version" that played completely differently from the standard game. For example, it was a race to 50 points and the Bronze, Silver and Gold generations did not matter, only size did. It was a very confusing initiative (esp for a game in that category) that did not come from me. It was thankfully removed from the box. However, it's bad effect still lingers today. In the new rules that just came out, the "expert version" is still around but it's referred to as a "variant" to avoid suggesting that it's a better version.

Thanks for playing the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.