GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 130.94

7,700 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
48.5% of Goal | left

Support:

A R
msg tools
This came up during our game this past weekend:

1) Because every player is limited in the actual quantity of components, we played that a race cannot build additional ships when the supply ran out. This seems to be the suggested method in the rule book. Are other players handling it this way as well?

Are other players handling it the same way for Control Nodes? If so, I think this requires players to be very choosy when committing one of their 10 Control Nodes onto a planet (not necessarily a bad thing).

2) The rules state that a player can only Commission 1 Starbase per level of Ascendancy. My play group interprets this as if you are a Level 1 Ascendancy, you can Commission a Starbase one time. If that Starbase is taken over by a hostile rival, you cannot commission another Starbase until you reach Ascendancy Level 2. Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GreenMan2814 wrote:
2) The rules state that a player can only Commission 1 Starbase per level of Ascendancy. My play group interprets this as if you are a Level 1 Ascendancy, you can Commission a Starbase one time. If that Starbase is taken over by a hostile rival, you cannot commission another Starbase until you reach Ascendancy Level 2. Thoughts?

This is correct. You'll notice that each faction has a starbase with one, two, and three Ascendancy symbols on them, respectively. The first one you commission is the one with one symbol, then you cannot commission the second until you have two Ascendancy, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenMan2814 wrote:

1) Because every player is limited in the actual quantity of components, we played that a race cannot build additional ships when the supply ran out. This seems to be the suggested method in the rule book. Are other players handling it this way as well?

Are other players handling it the same way for Control Nodes? If so, I think this requires players to be very choosy when committing one of their 10 Control Nodes onto a planet (not necessarily a bad thing).

Yes and no. Yes, the components are limited in the core box. No, you are not stuck with the ships/nodes you have. GF9 confirmed that you can decommission ships on the board to build new ones, and you can give up a node in order to colonize a different planet.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23277249#23277249

(Pro Tip: A forum search with your keyword--like "ships" in this case--and a username search of "Gale Force Nine" will determine if GF9 has already commented on something.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A R
msg tools
japester1 wrote:
GreenMan2814 wrote:

Yes and no. Yes, the components are limited in the core box. No, you are not stuck with the ships/nodes you have. GF9 confirmed that you can decommission ships on the board to build new ones, and you can give up a node in order to colonize a different planet.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23277249#23277249

(Pro Tip: A forum search with your keyword--like "ships" in this case--and a username search of "Gale Force Nine" will determine if GF9 has already commented on something.)

Thanks.

Also...I appreciate the tip. I searched "Limited Component" and found nothing. Which is strange since the link you gave me has that as the thread title. The Username search is a great method. Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries. The search tool can be funky sometimes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.