Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am relocating to Atlanta area for family reasons and looking for a new board game group. I will check the local meetups but BGG has the nicest members so I figured I would check here.

Also, I am staying in a hotel for the next few weeks while I look for a permanent spot. I will probably get my own place but might get a room mate if I find someone into board games and is cool. If so feel free to shoot me a PM. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may end up needing to be more specific here. There are a number of thriving gaming communities around Atlanta. Depending on which part of the metro area you are in may make joining a group a little easier. Also check out Atlanta Game Fest if you are here in time. It is going on next weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Corbin
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There public meetups pretty much every Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday that I know of (possibly more). It's all a question of where in Atlanta (as Matt S) indicated. I'll second his comment about Atlanta Game Fest Oct 27-30. It's great place to meet new gamers (I bet there will be about 200). If you can't make this one, Game-o-rama is in February.

I have numerous gamer friends that regularly host a game night at home - (I met most of them at Game Fest, or one of the meetups). It's a very rich community of gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My job is in the middle-east part of Atlanta inside of 285(I'm new I don't know if it has a name)and I have a spot in Norcross but it's temporary so I am very flexible right now. I don't start the job for 2 weeks so while I get situated I will have some time to game. I guess the North and Eastern sides of Atlanta would be closest to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Corbin
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably the Decatur area.

If you stay in Norcross, you're pretty central to many of the meetups. There's one on Saturday in Norcross, and then there's Northlake (2x month on Sunday), Johns Creek (2x month on other Sundays), Northpoint(Wednesdays) and Permitter/Dunwoody(Mondays). All of these are on Meetup.com. I've seen discussions and attempt to set up more "in town" meetups, but I don't keep up with them -- those might work better for you if they're during the workweek for you because of your job location.

In Atlanta area, people classify themselves as ITP and OTP depending on if they live inside or outside of "the Perimeter" (I-285). Only Northlake is ITP, of the ones I mentioned, and only barely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
My job is in the middle-east part of Atlanta inside of 285(I'm new I don't know if it has a name)and I have a spot in Norcross but it's temporary so I am very flexible right now. I don't start the job for 2 weeks so while I get situated I will have some time to game. I guess the North and Eastern sides of Atlanta would be closest to me.

One thing you will learn very quickly upon moving here is that the Perimeter (the name given to 285 as you referenced) may as well be a line of demarcation between land and sea, and only rare creatures can brave both environments. Unless you are very convincing, if your work friends live ITP (inside the Perimeter) you will never see them where you live (if you end up staying in Norcross). It's just a matter of course here.

Mostly it's because Atlanta lacks anything vaguely resembling an effective public transit system (there is a sordid story about this from back in the day, but suffice it to say, it happened). As a result, traffic is pretty bad, so people don't like to cross the Perimeter if they can avoid it. The good news is, the Norcross area specifically is great for gaming if that is where you choose to live long term.

The meetup referenced by others is one I attend semi-regularly: https://www.meetup.com/Boardgames-in-NorcrossPeachtree/event...

I say semi-regularly because I have two young children, and so my ability to go out consistently is...unreliable. That being said, the meetup consistently draws 20+ people every week, and the host venue is exceptionally kind to us. There is a back room (really, a pizza parlor adjacent to the restaurant) that is ours every Saturday except for very rare occasion (I can't recall the last time we DIDN'T have it).

It's a good group of people, and very friendly.

I'd echo the calls for Atlanta Game Fest -- it's a great event, and the guy who runs it (Ward) runs a few each year. The meetup this weekend will be empty because everyone (most likely) will be there.

I personally won't because we'll be tied up, but I might be around the following weekend at the Meetup. In any case, I can point you in the right direction of who to reach out to if you want to sort of pre-plan your arrival.

The good news is, as was pointed out, wherever you decide to settle, there is definitely gaming to be had throughout the city. Particularly in the area you'll be, as I am guessing once you look around you will probably try to end up living either near your word (I'm assuming Decatur or Druid Hills from how you are talking), or just outside the Perimeter either to the north (Norcross/Duluth area) or to the East.

Good luck finding a group in any case, and welcome to the city!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads up on the info. I might check out the gamefest but honestly big crowded conventions full of people I don't know kind of overwhelm me. I just like a small group of people at one of our houses which is why I asked here and not meetups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Thanks for the heads up on the info. I might check out the gamefest but honestly big crowded conventions full of people I don't know kind of overwhelm me. I just like a small group of people at one of our houses which is why I asked here and not meetups.

Totally understandable. I'll say this -- this coming week is super busy for our family, but after Monday 10/31, we are a bit freer. I could probably meet up with you one night that week and depending upon timing could probably rope another person or two in. Looking at your owned list and ratings, I'd say that we have very similar tastes.

There are tons of places in the area to meet -- there is also http://www.thewastelandgaming.com/ which is a gaming store at Pleasant Hill and Satellite Blvd in Duluth. It's a gaming store but really a very large open play space. It seems to be pretty heavily Magic, but there are also extensive board gaming sections too. It's a bit tricky to find (it's behind a shopping center and there is zero signage in the front to indicate that it's there), but that may be a place you can consider. I just don't know how easy it would be to walk in there and find a game -- I've stopped in once to check it out, but literally walked in, walked around for a few minutes, and left. But it could be a good place to meet up pre-planned I would think.

(My wife has instituted a "meet elsewhere first" policy with regards to introductions to people purely via Internet -- mostly because of the children. Although I pretty thoroughly trust anyone who has an established existence on BGG, I totally understand why she has that hesitancy.)

In any case, let me know. We could probably meet up for a game or two, grab some food, and then at least you'll know one person. And I can get you linked up with some of the rest in the area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:

I'd echo the calls for Atlanta Game Fest -- it's a great event, and the guy who runs it (Ward) runs a few each year. The meetup this weekend will be empty because everyone (most likely) will be there.

Every GameCon weekend we still consistently get around 12-15 people at the Tavern.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AceAceBaby wrote:
hestiansun wrote:

Every GameCon weekend we still consistently get around 12-15 people at the Tavern.

Cheers!

Ah, good to know. I went once because I couldn't make it to Gamefest (or maybe Game-o-rama) and didn't find anyone there. But this was a while ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided to check out Gamefest. I am still in the process of moving and I haven't started work yet so I have a free weekend. I might as well check it out.

Like I said, large crowds overwhelm me, I'm not sure why. And I've never been good at just joining a large group strangers for a game even though I am not shy. But enough about that.

I totally understand about meeting people in an outside environment. I don't like to invite people I have never met to my home nor go to someone's home I from a random meetup. I'm always afraid i will end up in their basement in a pit with a bucket of lotion being lowered down on a rope.

I look forward to meeting people while I am new to Atlanta!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
I decided to check out Gamefest. I am still in the process of moving and I haven't started work yet so I have a free weekend. I might as well check it out.

So, don't be discouraged if it takes a little bit of maneuvering to find a game there. Unlike some of the other Cons that use orange cones and such, there isn't really much of an LFG system in play at Gamefest. I've had the best luck sort of lingering around the library area and engaging people in chatter while they also seem to be looking for a game and/or players.

You may need to be a little bit on the assertive side because people won't necessarily be soliciting players, but all of the attendees are very nice.

I only say this because I know that same gamers tend to be on the shyer side, and some Cons will go out of their way to help in that regard. At Gamefest, you need to be at least slightly proactive -- it is unlikely that anyone will walk up to you if you are sitting by yourself and say, "Hey, do you want to play a game?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Zimmer
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are signs that say if you are looking to get into a game, stand around the game shelves. It definitely works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iamzimmer wrote:
There are signs that say if you are looking to get into a game, stand around the game shelves. It definitely works.

Well, yes. I had never noticed those signs before, to be honest, but they just present the same advice I did.

I'm not sure what Cons do where he comes from, which is why I wanted to make sure he wasn't expecting any kind of actual LFG system. I'm not sure why Ward doesn't employ one, but some people probably expect them at this point. I haven't ever had a hard time finding a game and I usually show up on my own, so it's not like it is necessary.

But for someone who literally knows NOBODY in the city, I wanted to be sure he knew that everyone would be nice and friendly if he made the first move, but that it is unlikely that anyone would make a first move on his behalf.

That's all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy W
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to get Ward to use a better system for LFG. A few white boards appeared, but it can be pretty chummy at these things. My major gripe about GameFest and Game-o-Rama.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
McDonough
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
VanVeen wrote:
I tried to get Ward to use a better system for LFG. A few white boards appeared, but it can be pretty chummy at these things. My major gripe about GameFest and Game-o-Rama.

My experience with GameFest and Game-o-Rama is limited to having attended a half day of gaming end of May 2016 (Game-o-Rama). Even with this very short (too short) afternoon visit, I was able to get in a pickup game of Spyfall and Bruxelles 1893. My first gameplay of each! Just as others stated, linger near the library and don't be afraid to say hi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sorry guys I didn't mean for this to be about my social anxiety issues. southerners are way more friendly than the north where I was living that last few years so I am sure there will be no issues. Thanks for letting me know about Game Fest and the various meetups in the area. I look forward to meeting some new people. As always BGG users are awesome. Once I get settled in a few weeks I will look into setting up something at my place once or twice a month and I will be sure to post an announcement in case anyone is interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
sorry guys I didn't mean for this to be about my social anxiety issues. southerners are way more friendly than the north where I was living that last few years so I am sure there will be no issues. Thanks for letting me know about Game Fest and the various meetups in the area. I look forward to meeting some new people. As always BGG users are awesome. Once I get settled in a few weeks I will look into setting up something at my place once or twice a month and I will be sure to post an announcement in case anyone is interested.

Sorry if it looked like I was implying that you had social anxiety issues. I was really more just making an overall general comment about what I've seen simply BECAUSE it's not as active as other cons, which isn't insurmountable but is generally more problematic for people that do have issues.

I guess what I really should have said is that whatever reason you may have to think it, it's totally not that people don't want to play with you, it's just that there is no way of people knowing that you want to play with them unless you actively say something.

To give you an idea of what I mean, this picture is from this year's Buckeye Game Fest in Columbus OH -- if you see the several orange cones on the tables, some with box lids hanging off them, they are the functional equivalent of the town crier saying "Hey, we need people here! This is what we're playing!" It makes it SUPER easy to just walk in and with a glance figure out whether that group of three people is actively waiting/hoping for a fourth, or just sitting around chatting, so you can just walk up and say "Here I am!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Alton
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I am making some "PLAYERS WANTED" and "TEACHER WANTED" signs this afternoon.
Can't wait to get in some games this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RA_gamer wrote:

I am making some "PLAYERS WANTED" and "TEACHER WANTED" signs this afternoon.
Can't wait to get in some games this weekend.

That's a great idea. I'll have to do that if I make it to the next one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
McDonough
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
I like the orange cones and wanted signs. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy W
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:
galad2003 wrote:

Sorry if it looked like I was implying that you had social anxiety issues. I was really more just making an overall general comment about what I've seen simply BECAUSE it's not as active as other cons, which isn't insurmountable but is generally more problematic for people that do have issues.

I guess what I really should have said is that whatever reason you may have to think it, it's totally not that people don't want to play with you, it's just that there is no way of people knowing that you want to play with them unless you actively say something.

To give you an idea of what I mean, this picture is from this year's Buckeye Game Fest in Columbus OH -- if you see the several orange cones on the tables, some with box lids hanging off them, they are the functional equivalent of the town crier saying "Hey, we need people here! This is what we're playing!" It makes it SUPER easy to just walk in and with a glance figure out whether that group of three people is actively waiting/hoping for a fourth, or just sitting around chatting, so you can just walk up and say "Here I am!"

Dude EXACTLY.

I've also seen standy things (sorry I don't know what else to call them) that you can put box lids on top of, such as at EuroQuest in MD and also GameDays there. very, very useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Schmitz
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorbin13 wrote:
I'll second his comment about Atlanta Game Fest Oct 27-30.

Dang, I have lived north of Atlanta for 5 years and have not heard of this before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.