Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dr Gosburo Coffin
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
My wife and I played our first session of Mechs vs. Minions today, and we really loved the time we had with the game. Compared with other session reports I saw, it took us surprisingly long to finish the tutorial and the first mission, but that was most likely our own fault. Besides, it didn't actually feel that long to us, and we enjoyed every single minute of it. Read for yourself what happened to us, if you like to look at walls of text ...

We took our time with the tutorial in order to let the rules sink in, and it took us about 40 minutes to finish it. This includes listening to the Radio Play, which is a great way to enhance the eperience - especially if you listen to the Escalation parts before actually turning the page and looking at the respective section of the dossier. Absolutely recommended!

After the tutorial, we immediately went on to play Mission 1. My wife, playing Ziggs, decided to embrace her character's destructive nature and focused on offensive actions, while I (as Corki) tried to strike a balance between movement and minion slaying. I was able to get my "Speed" stack up to Level 3 pretty quickly and happily towed the bomb energy source towards its destination.

Due to our inexperience with the game, we had to learn the hard way that parking the energy source (which is not fully unlike a bomb) right next to an empty spawn point is a great way to get it damaged as soon as a new minion appears there. whistle Before we could do much about it, the bomb (allrightallrightallright) was down to its last health point, and our only option was to push it back to safety. Some unfortunate damage cards even caused us to push it all the way back into the school ... It took us quite some time to come up with a solution. In the meantime, we obliterated minion wave after minion wave with our Level 3 Chain Lighnings, Ripsaws, Cyclotrons and - my personal favourites - Skewers.

Just as the Team Gear counter hit 15 (which is not a common occurence in Mission 1, as far as I heard), Corki was standing one space to the 'northeast' of the Repair Pad, while the bomb was in the same 'lane' as the Pad, but still pretty close to the School. Ziggs was first player and used his Schematics card to eliminate a lot of minions, then went on a rampage to kill nearly all of the remaining opponents (but leaving one specific minion alive that we would need later). devil

Corki then used his Overdrive ability to move into the same lane as the bomb, then executed two Level 3 Skewers in a row (told you it was my favourite!) to reach the bomb. In fact, he even had so much momentum that he pushed it one space further away from its destination. Then Corki turned around (via Cyclotron) and used a Level 3 Speed command to tow the bomb towards the Pad as far as possible. The bomb ended up right next to a spawn point ... surprise

But as I mentioned, we had spared a certain minion's life before. This minion couldn't quite reach the bomb with his move, so he ended up right next to Corki and attacked him, which triggered the Level 3 Fuel Tank Corki had been saving for this occasion. Thus, the bomb was safe from the minion that had spawned next to it ... In the next turn, a quick reprogramming moved the Level 3 Speed stack into Corki's slot 1, and the bomb finally arrived at the Repair Pad.

It took us nearly two hours to play through Mission 1, which seems very long in comparison to other reports. But as I said, this was mainly our own 'fault'. We would have saved a lot of time if we had relied more on pushing the bomb than on the much less economic towing. On the other hand, with the bomb's health down to 1 so soon, we had to be extremely careful, and there were several occasions where defeat was averted only by daring stunts - which sometimes left the mechs in rather awkward positions on the map. If we hadn't reached Overdrive, our final plan would have required much more maneuvering, so this really was a crucial element of our success.

Overcoming all these obstacles is part of the fun, of course, and as I mentioned in the introduction, we had tons of fun during our session, which didn't even feel all that long to us. Powering up our mechs, fiddling with their programming to find the perfect solution to one problem, then having to change it all up because the next turn demands a completely different approach has been a huge joy for us. My wife (who doesn't hate board games but generally isn't overly enthusiastic about playing them) even demanded that we continue playing the campaign next weekend. That's a pretty good sign, I'd say ... cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick Ernst
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
DrGosburoCoffin wrote:
But as I mentioned, we had spared a certain minion's life before. This minion couldn't quite reach the bomb with his move, so he ended up right next to Corki and attacked him, which triggered the Level 3 Fuel Tank Corki had been saving for this occasion. Thus, the bomb was safe from the minion that had spawned next to it ... In the next turn, a quick reprogramming moved the Level 3 Speed stack into Corki's slot 1, and the bomb finally arrived at the Repair Pad.

Pro Level Strats
GG WP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Gosburo Coffin
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
MrPiddlesworth wrote:
Pro Level Strats
GG WP

Yeah, I went to great lengths to make my session report sound like that. But to be honest, the part I described as "we obliterated minion wave after minion wave" didn't look all that much like 'pro level' work. As a matter of fact, there were quite a few "how did I end up in this corner of the board?" moments ...

But since we have been officially raised to 'pro' status now, we're considering to play with two mechs each for our next mission. It was the wife's idea, so don't blame me if it doesn't work ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think it you push the bomb it's at a higher risk of damage. We towed it the whole time and finished (with one health left) in just over an hour (with three players). Obvious tacking called is key.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.