Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I just ordered a bunch of stuff for Krosmaster, including the 2.0 rules set. Whilst waiting for the shipments to arrive, I've been thinking more about the game. Namely, I was wondering how people would describe the genre it fits into. Is Krosmaster Arena a tactical wargame?

One of the reasons I ask is that I'm due to teach a game at next months SD HistCon, here in San Diego. My original intent was to teach a COIN game, which I may still do. But after buying Krosmaster, my thoughts have turned to it as an alternative. One of the reasons is the way it looks. I'm expecting having a table at a Con, and trying to attract people to test a game out will be tricky. I'm wondering if Krosmaster is the perfect game to try this with, as I'm assuming most of the attendees will be unfamiliar with it, but the appearance of the game may stimulate curiosity.

Though I game teach any game I want, as this is a wargames-leaning Con, I would like to stay roughly without the realms of that. So, does Krosmaster fit?

Thanks,

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely a tactical game, as in your tactics will change based on what your opponents do and it's rare to go into the game with a long-term strategy.

Wargame? It all depends on your definition of a wargame. I highly doubt that a traditional "wargamer" would classify this game as a wargame. In general, a wargame is usually tied to some historical struggle.

"Tactical skirmish game" would be a more accurate description, in my humble opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tactical Skirmish Game is close enough for me!

But I assume there are games that are wargames that are not based on real life events. Games such as Twilight Imperium and Dominant Species come to mind as games that are on the fringes of the wargame genre. To be honest, though, as long as Krosmaster is not completely out of scope, I'm OK with that. Could be funny to see if I can get some grognards to play with anime minis.

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColintheFlea wrote:
Could be funny to see if I can get some grognards to play with anime minis.

The game has some similarities with something like Heroes of Normandie. Definitely fits the light tactical skirmish "genre". Part of the fun of the game is building your 12 point team around complementary abilities (i.e. using one models "push" ability to push opponents into another team member with "lock"), so I would give some thought to how you would approach this in a learning game (i.e. open choice, draw 4 cards at a time and draft, etc.).

Would love to see some photos of grognards playing Krosmaster!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:

Hah, me too. To be fair, it's a wargaming Con, but anything is game. They are having a SAGA tournament, and last year, I played Tiny Epic Galaxies, Forbidden Stars, Leaving Earth and Elder Sign, among others.

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColintheFlea wrote:
reverendunclebastard wrote:

Hah, me too. To be fair, it's a wargaming Con, but anything is game. They are having a SAGA tournament, and last year, I played Tiny Epic Galaxies, Forbidden Stars, Leaving Earth and Elder Sign, among others.

Colin

If Elder Sign is fair game then Krosmaster should be no problem!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.