Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » Rules

Subject: Oil slick and Magma Chamber questions (Spoilers up to Mission 6) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kathrin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played the first 5 missions over the weekend, can't wait to play on in a month or so Great game, so much fun, definitely one of the best games in my collection!
But we have a few questions and I just want to confirm we played it right or are going to play it right the next time we continue with mission 6.

1) The ruling on Oil slicks in the 'Master Mech-anic' rulebook is not the best, I tried to read all the other threads regarding this topic and I think it should have been worded like this. Is this correct? Am I missing something?
"When a Mech, Minion or Bomb moves onto an Oil slick it keeps moving in the same direction until it collides with a wall or an obstacle (e.g. an immovable Mech/Bomb, the Boss or a Massive Boulder), steps off the Oil slick or reaches the edge of the game board.
A Mech will push other Mechs or the Bomb, but stomps Minions along the way. Sliding Minions are blocked by other Minions. The Boss ignores Oil slicks."

2) Magma Chamber questions:
2a) Is the Boss affected by Lava Pools and has to stop moving like normal Mechs? Does he get damage from Lava Pools (If yes, I think only if at least 1 rune space is deactivated like with schematic card damage)?
2b) Is the Boss affected by Spike Walls and takes damage when moving in a Spike Wall? Does he takes the damage only if there is at least 1 rune space deactivated?
2c) If the Boss (B) moves and half of it's way is blocked for example by a Massive Boulder (M), can he still move? In the case below (X is a free field), would the Boss be able to move upward if he has a movement of 1-3? What about if he has a movement of 4? Can he shrink for the duration of the movement (like in Descent, where big miniatures can move through small spaces, but have to end their movement with the whole mini on eligible spaces)?
X X X
X X X
X M M
X M M
B B X
B B X
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick Ernst
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
1. You are correct that the wording can be improved. Your version is correct as well.

2a+2b. The boss is not affected by lava or spikes. (the bastard)

2c. The boss does not shrink (he's too proud!) so in the case you describe, he could not move upward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for the quick answers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Kitarja wrote:
We played the first 5 missions over the weekend, can't wait to play on in a month or so Great game, so much fun, definitely one of the best games in my collection!
But we have a few questions and I just want to confirm we played it right or are going to play it right the next time we continue with mission 6.

1) The ruling on Oil slicks in the 'Master Mech-anic' rulebook is not the best, I tried to read all the other threads regarding this topic and I think it should have been worded like this. Is this correct? Am I missing something?
"When a Mech, Minion or Bomb moves onto an Oil slick it keeps moving in the same direction until it collides with a wall or an obstacle (e.g. an immovable Mech/Bomb, the Boss or a Massive Boulder), steps off the Oil slick or reaches the edge of the game board.
A Mech will push other Mechs or the Bomb, but stomps Minions along the way. Sliding Minions are blocked by other Minions. The Boss ignores Oil slicks."

2) Magma Chamber questions:
2a) Is the Boss affected by Lava Pools and has to stop moving like normal Mechs? Does he get damage from Lava Pools (If yes, I think only if at least 1 rune space is deactivated like with schematic card damage)?
2b) Is the Boss affected by Spike Walls and takes damage when moving in a Spike Wall? Does he takes the damage only if there is at least 1 rune space deactivated?
2c) If the Boss (B) moves and half of it's way is blocked for example by a Massive Boulder (M), can he still move? In the case below (X is a free field), would the Boss be able to move upward if he has a movement of 1-3? What about if he has a movement of 4? Can he shrink for the duration of the movement (like in Descent, where big miniatures can move through small spaces, but have to end their movement with the whole mini on eligible spaces)?
X X X
X X X
X M M
X M M
B B X
B B X

Great questions, apologies for the lack of clarity on our part.

1) Your interpretation sounds spot on. Don't think you're doing anything incorrectly bases on this.

2a&b) The boss takes no damage from Lava or Spiked Walls. (And ignores rune gates.)

2c) The boss can't shrink. When he 'jumps to the nearest player' he can basically teleport beside the targeted player, so in that instance, he ignores walls. But in your example, if he moved 2 spaces towards the nearest player, he'll always default to moving closer towards his goal, even if he's along the wall. In rare cases, moving 'towards a player' might mean walking the opposite direction (this comes into play with minions in mission 8), you basically decide what the shortest route is to your destination, and you move two spaces along that path. But if no eligible path brings him closer to his goal, he stays put.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.