Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastian Schmohl
Germany
Münster, Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
Hello,

at the Spiel 2016 in Essen we played the game with 4 players. I really enjoyed the game, because I love the artwork and it is a fast played coop game with a very cool theme.

But when we start to play it, the guy who explained us the game asked us for a "real" challenge or a "normal" round. So sure, we want to have a challenge. Because that`s what cooperative games should be... and this game wasn't a challenge. It was really easy, I mean maybe we had sometimes luck because of very good dice rolling results, however, we never had a feeling that we can lose the game.

So I have some doubts because of the difficult levels you can play. How you can modify the game, that it can be really hard for players to defeat it. Or is it possible to modify the puzzle, so that it is harder to find the right combination?

thx,
Sebastian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Pinoteau
msg tools
Hey,

There are differents ways to make the game harder:

1. Add all the red moons cards in the action cards deck (I assume this is what you did)

2. Add the red moons cards randomly in the action deck (otherwise the red moons cards are shuffled every 10 cards I think)

3. Add bad events cards to your game and dont put good events cards (events cards are in unlocked Stretch goals)

4. Add the ship board to your game (add-on in Kickstarter campaign but KS exclusive): it comes with a new rule that give a penalty to losing a fight (hero stay in the ship for a certain time)

5. Add missions cards to your game (unlocked stretch goal): Missions block the "activate runes action" until you complete it.

6. Add embushed monsters cards to your game (free stretch goal but KS exclusive): Embushed monsters seem really harsh and force hero to fight them when they appears.

7. Add crisis cards to your game (unlocked stretch goal but KS exclusive): Crisis block a hero until another one help him.

Hope this help.

P.S.: Excuse my english,I'm french.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Johnson
France
Orléans
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobodin wrote:
Hello,

at the Spiel 2016 in Essen we played the game with 4 players. I really enjoyed the game, because I love the artwork and it is a fast played coop game with a very cool theme.

But when we start to play it, the guy who explained us the game asked us for a "real" challenge or a "normal" round. So sure, we want to have a challenge. Because that`s what cooperative games should be... and this game wasn't a challenge. It was really easy, I mean maybe we had sometimes luck because of very good dice rolling results, however, we never had a feeling that we can lose the game.

So I have some doubts because of the difficult levels you can play. How you can modify the game, that it can be really hard for players to defeat it. Or is it possible to modify the puzzle, so that it is harder to find the right combination?

thx,
Sebastian

Hey there,

So the challenge our guys were referring to at Essen was using the XL board ship zone which makes combat a fair bit riskier. However, there was also one of teh upgraded character tiles present (easier) and only 4 Red moon cards in the deck (medium difficulty) so I apologize if it was presented as a real challenge.

TO answer your question though, you can add more red moon cards to the deck in order to increase the difficulty and a lot of the content we've unlocked during the campaign (harder monsters, events, etc) will let you make the game a lot harder.

That being said the base game isn't that easy. We had a fair few losses during the event but you guys evidently managed ypourselves well and didn't fall out of favor with the dice gods so these upgrades should e just what you're looking for
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW I've also heard at least several opinions stating that the game was just easy. People enjoyed the play, but they didn't see much point in playing again.

To be perfectly honest, the game should be relatively hard from the start, the basic version. The "you can just add more bad cards to the deck" solution, is not a desired solution. People buy the game to play the game, not to increase some numbers. In other words, the game has to be challenging by design, not by the variance of the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Pinoteau
msg tools
Hey,

the cards you put in the decks to increase challenge are mostly in the base game now (more red moons, missions and events cards are not KS exclusive). So I think it's ok.

What you could blame is the fact that this "core content" was unlocked during campaign and wasn't in the box from the beginning.

Anyway, now it is whistle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
To be perfectly honest, the game should be relatively hard from the start, the basic version. The "you can just add more bad cards to the deck" solution, is not a desired solution. People buy the game to play the game, not to increase some numbers. In other words, the game has to be challenging by design, not by the variance of the deck.
Definitely! There's nothing that will ensure that you never play a cooperative board game again like an easy win the first time out. I much prefer getting trounced, as that makes me desire to try again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Johnson
France
Orléans
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you guys, just so you know, I'd rather have a challenge then a walk in the park with co-op games but I can assure you that the base game does have quite the challenge to it. Some got very lucky, others didn't, I can assure you of that!

For what it's worth though you'll find more than enough challenge in the box now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.