BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Press Releases

Subject: A message for my brother rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric McKinley
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I didn’t really know where to post this, but I guess I can try it on this thread. I wanted to post a link to my brother’s kickstarter game for a couple of reasons:

I remember the first game that I played with my brother that got him started on board game design; Carcassonne. I played it first and then played it with him. We were both amazed by finding a board game where the player created the board as the game progressed. It was unlike anything that I had ever seen. I’ve stayed an avid board gamer since then but it was my brother that took that idea and ran with it.

I have to be truthful. My brother and I have not had the closest relationship but it was board games that always brought us together. Sometimes it takes moving away from somebody to make one realize how much they do miss them. My brother was recently at Rincon where he showcased his game and I was there with him. I’m not much for crowds so I sat back and watched him demo his game to people. I have tried his game and really liked it and watching others play his game and have fun made me extremely proud of him. My brother has come a long way from where he was when he was just learning about board games and I was happy that I could be there for him on that day, and even if he doesn’t get his game printed I hope that he sees how far he has come too. I have seen him tirelessly work at a board game shop demoing games not because of the little amount of money it brings in, but how he can take someone’s concept of board games and expand it, make it magical.

His kick starter only has 7 days left so I’m not really expecting it to be successful but I wanted to try and help him because of the work he has put into it. Love you and respect you brother. If you would like to take a look at his game I’ve included the link. Like I said, I wasn’t really sure where to put this in the forums so if there is a more suitable place, please let me know.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/musicalracket/excavate-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He doesn't look too be doing too well to say there are only 7 days left.

I think he needs to reevaluate how he is building his community. Even if it was the best hand in the world it would need some sort a publicity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Truthfully, it doesn't look like he did enough prep work for a successful Kickstarter, much of which Jamie Stegmaier and James Mathe have blogged about heavily.

In particular:

I don't know if he built up a community prior to the campaign, but not enough backers are coming from there to make it look like it is the next big thing.

Videos of gameplay and some description of the game play, but no formal rules document? Not good enough to make me ready to back it yet since that
suggests not enough blind testing has been done.

No external reviews. Doesn't bother me as much as others, but many people want experienced gamer opinions to help decide if the game might work for them.

No stretch goals at all. He has a few ideas, but no actual backer goal amounts to strive towards to fulfill them (custom meeples, playmats, etc), so no guarantee if it does well that anything more will be expected. That turns off a lot of potential backers.

Risks listed feel vague and are not comforting to know if he has really worked on this from the business side of things. It seems very positive, but without any realistic though put into what risks the backers can
really expect, especially with a short time to delivery listed.

There is also the lack of discounting for backers compared to the suggested retail price. Saying it can be made for $25 to backers doesn't mention the potential distribution chain pricing (he is aware many distributors pay only 40% of retail price and he would have to pay shipping to them,right?)

Edit: Oh, I have to add that the website link is to his youtube channel. Not a personal or company blog, so it doesn't inspire confidence he is treating this like a real business plan, especially since they're just videos with no real focus on promoting the game itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.