Popular Tags: [View All]
Arthur Dougherty
United States
Maplewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Link here.

Curious if any further work on the rules is in store or if it's just a straight reprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Engqvist
Sweden
Goteborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
awdougherty wrote:
Link here.

Curious if any further work on the rules is in store or if it's just a straight reprint.

If there is work on the rules being done I know nothing about it. Not that I was officially involved with the first edition either of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Pundyk
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
awdougherty wrote:
Link here.

No further work is necessary. Bjorn's re-write rules work very well. I suppose the only change needed is for Bjorn's rules to be designated by Compass as the official version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ric Manns
United States
Scottsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to see the new rules being "official".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Swider
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed that the rewritten rules omitted the sequence of play, and that the sequence in the original does not cite when replacements and reinforcements for scenarios occur (found only in the play guide). I've also had to do a fair amount of typesetting. So the rewrite serves as a better starting point for a rulebook clean-up.

The play aids should also be revised so that charts are listed in the order of consultation throughout a game turn so that players spend less time hunting. I'd also add rule number cross references on the play aids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Engqvist
Sweden
Goteborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Compass have now contacted me about including the rewritten material in the reprint edition (rules, playbook, play aids, TEC, cards) and I have said yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dougherty
United States
Maplewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's great to hear. Does that mean the new rules will be given a full PDF treatment as the new rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Engqvist
Sweden
Goteborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
That has not been discussed, but I would assume there would be some sort of graphic overhaul.

Whether I can finish a new round of errata until then is a different story...things have been found that merit adjustment of existing files but I need to find the time to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alasdair Campbell
Scotland
Isle of Skye
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if an upgrade kit would be available for existing owners?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Engqvist
Sweden
Goteborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I think those questions are best directed to Compass representatives, it is my impression that they read the CSW folder more frequently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alasdair Campbell
Scotland
Isle of Skye
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked Compass, and the email I received from Bill at Compass Games said that they don't intend to produce an upgrade kit.

And so my next question is, how significant are the changes going to be. I have not actually played my original copy yet, but had hoped to soon. Would your re-written playbook and rulebook available on BGG be enough for me to play the game in its updated form without the need for revised player aids etc? Or should I hold off until the reprint comes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gray
United States
Deerwood
MN
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cillmhor wrote:
I asked Compass, and the email I received from Bill at Compass Games said that they don't intend to produce an upgrade kit.

And so my next question is, how significant are the changes going to be. I have not actually played my original copy yet, but had hoped to soon. Would your re-written playbook and rulebook available on BGG be enough for me to play the game in its updated form without the need for revised player aids etc? Or should I hold off until the reprint comes?

Compass' performance on this particular title is substandard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alasdair Campbell
Scotland
Isle of Skye
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I make out, the original rules had a number of issues. As I said, I haven't actually played the game yet. It would be nice if I could salvage my copy of the game, without the need to buy the reprint. I commend Bjorn for his work on the rules, all in his own time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Engqvist
Sweden
Goteborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
This is my personal view:

The game as released had several problems.

The game is now perfectly playable using the rewritten material (a number of people can vouch for this, both here and on CSW. You have to print it out yourself though (play aids and TEC particularly). You have to refer to a list of card text changes (to make them consistent with new rules terminology), which can be cumbersome. Rulebook and playbook are not artistically formatted, but are readable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alasdair Campbell
Scotland
Isle of Skye
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I will print off all of the files I can find here on BGG, when I come to play the game. I suspect the reprint is some time off.

Thank you once again for all of your work on the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.