$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
47.3% of Goal | left

Support:

jeffrey james
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
The new Star Wars Rebellion game is very interesting, but I mostly play with my son and this Rebellion is a bit beyond him and the time needed to play that game is also a factor.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to bring some of the feel such as the characters more into this version of Risk?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Grant Green - Am I Blue? // Tina Brooks - True Blue // Buddy Guy - Damn Right, I've Got The Blues // Harold Land - West Coast Blues! // Sam McClain - Blues for the Soul // Oliver Nelson - Screamin' the Blues
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had a classic '57 Chevy, I wouldn't add airbags and a GPS.

What I'd suggest instead is to look for a set of basic skirmish rules (such as Song of Blades and Heroes) and use that with whatever star wars toys you have on hand. I bet your son would have fun just fighting battles with the guys he has in the closet.

Trying to merge Rebellion onto Star Wars OT would be a lot of work, and I doubt the result will be worth the effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty
United States
California
flag msg tools
I think this really depends on how much effort you are willing to put into this "project". One of the biggest hurdles is that Rebellion is has an asymmetric play style, while Risk is quite the opposite. The other issue is what to do with the Hutts? I guess you just don't play with them.

Some simple idea I came up with on the fly:

Use the ships and dice from Rebellion. Have both space and land theaters. Assign each unit a value that is equal to Risk values.
Troopers/X-wing/Y-Wing/TIE Fighter = 1 troop point
Speeder/AT-ST/Corvette/Assault Carrier = 2 troop points (CRV and AC both carry 4 land units)
AT-AT = 3 troop points
Mon Cal/ISD = 4 troop points (and both carry 6 land units)
The Death Star is used as normal in Risk

At the end of a turn, a player would receive land and space troops. So a minimum of 3 land and 3 space. Either that, or you have to choose whether you want to spend your 3 on land or space, both options have merit.

As for leaders, each team starts with one on each planet they control. Every time you capture a planet, you can either move the leader from the planet you came from, you assign a new leader to the captured planet. Once you run out of leaders, then you have to move them around. End of round fortification rule allows for any/all leaders to move up to 1 planet.

I'm not sure how to implement mission, objective, probe or action cards. Although I'm not sure they're all even possible to be implemented without just playing Rebellion on a different board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domenic
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the_stag wrote:
I think this really depends on how much effort you are willing to put into this "project". One of the biggest hurdles is that Rebellion is has an asymmetric play style, while Risk is quite the opposite.

I haven't played Rebellions, but one of the things I like most about Original Trilogy Risk is its asymmetric play style, so I'm not sure why you say it doesn't have one.

jeff316 wrote:
Does anyone have any ideas on how to bring some of the feel such as the characters more into this version of Risk?

Bringing in leaders/characters could be fun. What if you got rid of one ship type and replaced it with characters? Instead of generic X-Wing pieces, you could use a Luke, a Wedge, etc.

Or you could bring in the Leader rules from Lord of the Rings Risk (which I don't recall off-hand), and have Vader, Luke, and Jabba as leaders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty
United States
California
flag msg tools
dommer2029 wrote:
the_stag wrote:
I think this really depends on how much effort you are willing to put into this "project". One of the biggest hurdles is that Rebellion is has an asymmetric play style, while Risk is quite the opposite.

I haven't played Rebellions, but one of the things I like most about Original Trilogy Risk is its asymmetric play style, so I'm not sure why you say it doesn't have one.

dommer2029, SWR:OTE is notably more asymmetric that standard Risk. So I fully agree with you there. However Rebellion is magnitudes more asymmetric than SWR:OTE is. If you ever get around to playing Rebellion I recommend it. These are both great games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of adding some leaders and stuff to this game. The characters and their missions/stories are a big part of Star Wars. The way Rebellion forces you to place a leader anywhere you either use a mission card or move/attack with ships makes it so named characters are present wherever the action takes place, which adds a lot of flavor to the game.

How about this simple addition: The Rebels and Imperials have 8 leaders each. The Hutts have 5 leaders. Ideally, leaders would be different characters for the sake of the theme, but all leaders are the same, ruleswise.

You can place a leader from your leader pool on a space at any time. Leaders can move with other army pieces when attacking or moving/reinforcing.

You must have a leader present with an army for it to attack an enemy army. You must have a leader present in a battle/space to use a card on it. If a card affects multiple spaces, only one of them needs a leader. Cards that directly affect player hands or the force meter and not any space or battle do not need a leader to use.

At the start of your turn, return all your leaders to your leader pool.

The other big part of Rebellion is the hidden Rebel base. Here's an idea for that:

At the beginning of the game (after claiming planets), the Rebel player (or the first Rebel player if there are two) secretly writes a planet name (that they control) on an index card and puts it face down. The back of the card is the Rebel Base space; troops can be placed here. While the base location is a secret, this space is considered adjacent to all other rebel spaces during the reinforcement phase only. If the planet the base is on is attacked, the Rebel player must reveal it, turn the Rebel Base card face-up, and put all units on the card on the corresponding planet space.

The Rebels can relocate the base to another secret location by trading in a set of cards and choosing to move the base instead of gain bonus armies.

The Rebel Base is like an Imperial stronghold (roll d8 for defense). If it is captured, the Rebel Base card is discarded and the force meter moves one space towards the dark side. Another hidden base may then be established by trading in a set of cards and choosing to establish a new base instead of gaining bonus armies.

A couple additional rules:
-The Imperials must start with Coruscant, and the first Imperial Stronghold must go on Coruscant. When claiming planets at the start of the game, the Imperial player must claim it before any other planet.

-Imperial Strongholds and the Rebel Base space gain one free army every turn (which must be placed on the stronghold/base). The Rebel Base does not gain a free army if it is revealed.

-AT-AT miniatures can be used to represent 5 troops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeffrey james
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the collaboration on this. After a lot of thinking, my idea is to ditch the ship concept this game and replace it with a hero concept. Take a look and let me know what you think. I've yet to play test it. I plan on using character pieces from an old Star wars Stratego game.

HEROS

Ø Unless otherwise noted, all heroes can be moved one planet at the end of their turn during fortification.

Ø Hero rules are in lieu of any ships; there are no ships in the game when playing with heroes.

Ø Heroes are captured if they are the last unit in a planet being attacked. They will roll a single die (d6 unless otherwise applicable) against the attackers.

o Using this same concept, a hero can singularly attack a planet.

Imperials:

Darth Vader
The units he is with rolls an additional D10 and cannot be a 1
He can move 3 planets at the end of each turn

Rebels:

Luke Skywalker
The units he is with rolls an additional D8 and cannot be a 1
He can move 2 planets at the end of each turn

Princess Leia
All dice rolled for the units she is with get a +1

Han Solo
The units he is with rolls an additional D6
Han Solo can be placed/moved to any owned location once per turn

Lando Calrissian
All dice rolled for the units he is with cannot be a 1

Obi Wan
When the units he is with are attacking, all ties are rerolled (doesn’t lose a tie when attacking)
He can sacrifice himself to let another hero escape (he can be used to swap places with another hero being captured).

The Hutts:

Jabba The Hutt
All dice rolled for the units he is with cannot be a 1.

Jango Fett
The units he is with roll an additional d6

Boba Fett
The units he is with roll an additional d6

Greedo
The highest dice rolled for the units he is with gets +1.

Sam Wessel
One of the dice for the units she is with can be a D8.
She can move/appear anywhere (owned location) once per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domenic
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So Darth Vader is awesome and the Fetts are regular armies? That doesn't look balanced, so I assume I'm missing something. Is the idea that the imperials are limited to one hero but the Hutts can have five? But the rebels also get five, and they are better than the Hutt heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeffrey james
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
Good questions. Perhaps take another look at the language. Some of the heroes operate like a ship allowing certain effects on the base dice rolled. Other, more powerful heroes, bring another whole dice into the standard risk equation of 3 attack die and 2 defense die.

Balance may very well be an issue and I'll have to play test this, but my thought is that the Hutts don't have anyone really going after them too much. Because of this, they always seem pretty beefy with the base rules as it is. I'm thinking that giving them vanilla heroes is a good fit.

One hero, but a very strong one, for the imperials is also an intention here. Trying to be thematic, the imperials are a hapless lot in many of ways with only Vader (and the Emperor) being deadly. What they do have going for them, however, is numbers. This idea is to make Vader very deadly and also play with the stronghold variant that gives the imperials a bonus troop on their strongholds every turn.

I tried to give interesting attributes to the rebel heroes as much as I could think of.

I changed a few things, if you wouldn't mind taking another look:
* I apologize for the poor formatting, that is the best my computer is doing with a cut and paste. If all this ends up being actually a good idea, I'm happy to post a .doc file.

HEROS

 Unless otherwise noted, all heroes can be moved one planet at the end of their turn during fortification.
 Hero rules are in lieu of any ships; there are no ships in the game when playing with heroes.
 Heroes are captured if they are the last unit in a planet being attacked. They will roll a single die (d6 unless otherwise would get an additional high sided dice for the planets they are with) against the attackers.
o Using this same concept, a hero can singularly attack a planet.

Imperials:
• Darth Vader
o The units he is with rolls an additional D10 and cannot be a 1
o He can move 3 planets at the end of the Imperial player’s turn.
o Retreat: Once per attacking opponents turn when defending, Vader may retreat one planet space (to an adjacent imperial controlled planet) before the combat is over. This retreat is not allowed if Luke Skywalker is involved in the attack.
o If Vader captures Luke Skywalker, Luke turns to the dark side and the force-meter moves to the far end of the DARK SIDE and can no longer be moved by card play (only battle actions).

o Imperials get one troop on each stronghold at the end of each turn

Rebels:
• Luke Skywalker
o The units he is with rolls an additional D8 and cannot be a 1
o He can move 2 planets at the end of each turn
o If Luke Skywalker captures Vader, Vader is redeemed and the force-meter moves to the far end of the LIGHT SIDE and can no longer be moved by card play (only battle actions).
• Princess Leia
o All dice rolled for the units she is with get a +1
• Han Solo
o The units he is with rolls an additional D6
o Han Solo can be placed/moved to any owned location once per turn
• Lando Calrissian
o All dice rolled for the units he is with cannot be a 1
• Obi Wan
o When the units he is with are attacking, all ties are rerolled (doesn’t lose a tie when attacking)
o He can sacrifice himself to let another hero escape (he can be used to swap places with another hero being captured). If the sacrifice is for Luke from Vader, the Imperial player must discard their entire hand of cards & the force meter moves 1 space to the dark.

The Hutts:
• Jabba The Hutt
o All dice rolled for the units he is with cannot be a 1.
• Jango Fett
o The units he is with roll an additional d6
• Boba Fett
o The units he is with roll an additional d6
• Greedo
o The highest dice rolled for the units he is with gets +1.
• Zam Wesell
o One of the dice for the units she is with can be a D8.
o She can move/appear anywhere (Hutt owned planet) once per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domenic
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see. So the Hutt and the rebels could roll up to 5 dice on offense. That's interesting.

Looks like you're ready to give it a try!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.