10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Tips on Box Inserts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nerdy Octopus
United States
flag msg tools
First of all, I apologize if this is already a thread.

Secondly, Eldritch Horror has very much inspired me to get my box-insert on. This game is an organizational mess. I know there are several you can purchase, but as my game collection is growing I know this is going to be something I continue to run into.

So this leads me to... box inserts! Tips, tricks, websites? I've done some browsing, but I thought maybe someone had some experience or insight that they'd be willing to share.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Paul
Germany
Offenburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends, do you want to do them yourself? Or you want to buy them?

If you want to do them yourself the best Geeklist would be:
Foam core insert modifications

I have also a Geeklist of my own where you see what items you need to get started

My new Hobby for the Hobby, Foamboard inserts plus SketchUp

The first times cutting you will probably have problems with cutting smooth, but you will get the hang of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerdy Octopus
United States
flag msg tools
This is perfect! Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jones
United States
Lagrange
KY
flag msg tools
mbmb
The links Zaphir provided are excellent and will give you a lot of info and ideas for inserts. I have three pieces of advice to someone getting started (I consider the first one mandatory; the other two are based on my own personal experience):
First, watch the Esoteric Order of Gamer's series on Foamcore inserts:

Second, if it's at all possible, don't start with Eldritch Horror. That was the first insert I made as well, and while I'm proud of the result, it was a maddening experience trying to fit it all in the box and almost made me give up several times. If you have the ability, start with a smaller/less component-dense game to get your feet wet while you figure out what you can do with the materials.

The last piece of advice is my own personal method, but I never, ever measure anything unless I absolutely, positively have to. In 90% of the inserts I've made (well over a hundred) I used the ruler only as a straight edge, and the remaining 10% I measured maybe one or two things. I find it's much, much quicker and more accurate if you can mark off a piece based on other pieces rather than measuring the dimension itself. Again, that's just my opinion, it may be easier for others to use lengths and widths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Paul
Germany
Offenburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yes, the video of the Esoteric Order. Totally must see! was also my starting point.

I'm the total opposite of Jay, as I measure most of the time (But I am slow, so he might be right ) But I also like using SketchUp to have all measurements first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jones
United States
Lagrange
KY
flag msg tools
mbmb
Zaphir wrote:
Ah yes, the video of the Esoteric Order. Totally must see! was also my starting point.

I'm the total opposite of Jay, as I measure most of the time (But I am slow, so he might be right ) But I also like using SketchUp to have all measurements first.

That is a totally (and probably more) valid approach. I tend to jump straight in and recklessly start building without a plan in mind.
Admittedly, this has resulted in me occasionally completely scrapping an insert that was almost finished because something didn't fit at the very end, so on second thought maybe take that particular piece of advice with a grain of salt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerdy Octopus
United States
flag msg tools
At the risk of sounding arrogant I'm actually pretty crafty. I have cutters and a self healing mat already for other projects. But I'm used to working with fabric. This is just a very new type of project for me so I was feeling a little daunted on where to start. That being said.. I can see myself getting cocky and thinking I can handle not measuring everything lol

I appreciate all the advice.. I needed a push in the right direction to get started.

And yeah, I should start with something with fewer parts than Eldritch Horror. It's one of my favorite games I own and I don't play it as often as I'd like because sometimes I don't have it in me for all the set up and tear down. =P But I have a lot of things that need some organizational tidying up, so this was something I wanted to be able to do myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jones
United States
Lagrange
KY
flag msg tools
mbmb
NerdyOctopus wrote:
At the risk of sounding arrogant I'm actually pretty crafty. I have cutters and a self healing mat already for other projects. But I'm used to working with fabric. This is just a very new type of project for me so I was feeling a little daunted on where to start. That being said.. I can see myself getting cocky and thinking I can handle not measuring everything lol

I appreciate all the advice.. I needed a push in the right direction to get started.

And yeah, I should start with something with fewer parts than Eldritch Horror. It's one of my favorite games I own and I don't play it as often as I'd like because sometimes I don't have it in me for all the set up and tear down. =P But I have a lot of things that need some organizational tidying up, so this was something I wanted to be able to do myself.

I'm sure you'll be fine! The video I linked above should give you an excellent idea of where to start.
Adam Savage is fond of saying that welding, sewing, carpentry (and I'll add foamcore inserts) are all different forms of the same craft - taking plane surfaces and combining them into a three-dimensional shape. The only differences are how you cut them and how you join them together. One of the reasons I love working with foamcore is that the cutting and joinery is about as easy as it can be. And, if you screw up occasionally (as I have), you're out a little bit of time and a couple dollars worth of foamcore. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stokes
United States
North Augusta
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Duck Season!
badge
I also believe that you met the King of the Forest, Mei, and meeting him is a sign of good luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry about starting big. My first one was a three level tier for Terra Mystica. The only thing was I used a template that someone else made under the TM file section. If you are going at it from scratch, then good luck

Edit: A quick search uncovered two different templates in the file section. I would reccomend going with one of these for your first foray into foam core.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/100054/eldritch-horror-bo...

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/106902/eldritch-horror-fo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Small fish tackle boxes seem to work pretty well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.