Hide
4 Posts

Captain Sonar» Forums » Rules

Subject: Engineer question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason McGraw
msg tools
Our group played a few times and this happened on our last play. The opposing engineer filled up on one direction that would normally take damage but that also connected 4 of the same color line. Which would take precedence? Both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You take the damage, then repair.

Why? You're conflating "Breakdowns" and "Repairs", which are two separate elements of the Engineer's position. When the Engineer crosses out a symbol, it has ramifications as discussed on pages 3 and 4 of the Rulebook.

In the situation you are describing, one of the ramifications is a "Complete Area Breakdown", which according to the rule on page 4, results in the sub taking one damage.

Then you can Repair. And also according to page 4, all symbols that are linked by a circuit self-repair.

Bottom Line: Damage occurs first, then repairing happens.

Note: The above is only my interpretation of the rules. I am not an official member of the design or publishing team, so my answer is not official!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabien Conus
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Already answered here:

Timing of complete area breakdown and central circuit repair
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi Fabien,

I have a tendency to come across as sounding "snarky" even though that's not my intention, so please forgive me if this question comes across as such, but are you a member of the design or publishing team?

I searched the credits in the rulebook and here on BGG before asking and didn't find your name. If you are, then of course your answer is very much appreciated! And if so, then I have another question...

What is the logic behind letting repair happen before damage? Perhaps I'm getting too "real world" in my thinking, but normally a broken system will cause its damage before its repaired.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.