Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
howl hollow howl
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
In the official solo variant, you have to remove the Diplomacy Skill from the Market deck and play without it. I've been playing with a variant where you leave the card in the deck and use it slightly differently: "Pay 1 Gold to use any Skill card in the trash pile. Move the tracking token on your Alignment card as shown on the target card." I think this is a fair approximation of the situational usefulness of the card in a 2p game.

(Perhaps the publisher thought of this, and it would make more sense for them to keep it simple and just have the card removed rather than put alternate descriptions of the card's ability in the rules.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Matejka
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't think of that specific use of it, to be honest. As the trash pile represents the cards the dummy player purchased, that makes sense. Works for me. Have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mayo
msg tools
Makes sense to me, also. I've also considered a couple of variant ideas, as well, for solo play.

1. Determine a starting player (either solo or dummy player) at the beginning. On turns where it is the dummy player's turn to go first, roll the gold die (use Climb or Intimidate before or after this roll). 1-2, the die on the #1 Initiative card is unavailable to the solo player, 3-4, the #2 die is unavailable, and 5-6, the #3 is unavailable.
-->This should make it harder to get a die you need each turn.

2. Start the game by rolling only 3d6 instead of 6d6. This will force a shuffle of the Market discard pile near the end of the game that will not involve the trashed cards.
This should be used with the above variant to also give the player 3 more uses of Attribute Actions to help make up for less access to dice.
-->This could work in non-solo games. Plus, roll 3d6 to start the game fits the theme a bit more.

Dave wrote:
In the official solo variant, you have to remove the Diplomacy Skill from the Market deck and play without it. I've been playing with a variant where you leave the card in the deck and use it slightly differently: "Pay 1 Gold to use any Skill card in the trash pile. Move the tracking token on your Alignment card as shown on the target card." I think this is a fair approximation of the situational usefulness of the card in a 2p game.

(Perhaps the publisher thought of this, and it would make more sense for them to keep it simple and just have the card removed rather than put alternate descriptions of the card's ability in the rules.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.