GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 129.87

7,655 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
48.2% of Goal | left

Support:

Anthony Ronda
United States
flag msg tools
1. In our game, a player with Middleman used the Imitate Action space to imitate one of the occupied Weekly Market actions. We allowed him to activate Middleman, pay one silver, and trade up one good, but it would be nice to have an official ruling on whether this is allowed.

2. We were unsure how the Punchcutter occupation applies when a single 2 silver token remains on a mountain strip, and the mountain strip is about to be discarded. Since the 2 silver is also removed, we played such that the Punchcutter player receives 2 silver. We felt as though the intent of the card was not to include this very common case, but that's how it reads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Heeren
Germany
Eppstein-Bremthal
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
rondaa wrote:
1. In our game, a player with Middleman used the Imitate Action space to imitate one of the occupied Weekly Market actions. We allowed him to activate Middleman, pay one silver, and trade up one good, but it would be nice to have an official ruling on whether this is allowed.

You have done right. Imitating an action is to be considered the same as doing the action itself.

rondaa wrote:
2. We were unsure how the Punchcutter occupation applies when a single 2 silver token remains on a mountain strip, and the mountain strip is about to be discarded. Since the 2 silver is also removed, we played such that the Punchcutter player receives 2 silver. We felt as though the intent of the card was not to include this very common case, but that's how it reads.

The rules for updating mountain strips have not written down well, I'm afraid. You do not discard a mountina strip if there is still 2 silver on it after you have removed the leftmost token.

The rules for updateting the strips should read:

* In this phase, remove the leftmost resource (i.e. closest to the arrow) from each face-up mountain strip and return it to the general supply (this can be wood, stone, ore or silver).

If all spaces are empty, remove the mountain strip.

We will add this to the Errata as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the errata explanation.

Speaking of the mountain strips, I want to make sure I didn't miss anything in the rules. As I understand it:
* One strip gets added each round.
* Also once each round, the leftmost item on each strip is removed.
* Whenever a strip is cleared of contents, regardless of the cause, it is removed and not replaced.

So strips are added exactly once per round and not for any other reason. And they are only (and always, and immediately) removed when emptied.

Is that right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dmoser22 wrote:
Thank you for the errata explanation.

Speaking of the mountain strips, I want to make sure I didn't miss anything in the rules. As I understand it:
* One strip gets added each round.
* Also once each round, the leftmost item on each strip is removed.
* Whenever a strip is cleared of contents, regardless of the cause, it is removed and not replaced.

So strips are added exactly once per round and not for any other reason. And they are only (and always, and immediately) removed when emptied.

Is that right?

The rules do not specify when mountain strips are removed if a player empties them, but it makes sense to do it immediately. There is no way to refill a mountain strip.

Frank, regarding Punchcutter, it would be valid to read the appendix explanation as "1 ore or 2 silver", not "1 ore and 2 silver", correct? Some people might be confused and think both have to be removed for the bonuses to activate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nan3000 wrote:
rondaa wrote:

You have done right. Imitating an action is to be considered the same as doing the action itself.

rondaa wrote:

The rules for updating mountain strips have not written down well, I'm afraid. You do not discard a mountina strip if there is still 2 silver on it after you have removed the leftmost token.

* In this phase, remove the leftmost resource (i.e. closest to the arrow) from each face-up mountain strip and return it to the general supply (this can be wood, stone, ore or silver).

Oh, wow. Yeah, the english rules are very clear, but apparently very clearly incorrect. Thanks, Frank.

-edit: And I just checked the German, and they agree with the English. So this is just an incorrect rule all around?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
boomtron wrote:
nan3000 wrote:
rondaa wrote:

rondaa wrote:

Oh, wow. Yeah, the english rules are very clear, but apparently very clearly incorrect. Thanks, Frank.

-edit: And I just checked the German, and they agree with the English. So this is just an incorrect rule all around?

I think the very subtle intent is that the part about removing mountain tiles isn't a bullet point. It is merely a comment, not a step you do in order as part of phase 11.

It could certainly be clearer and I'm glad we have the official errata though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I see. Wow, never read it that way. I see how it was unclear and not just inaccurate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ronda
United States
flag msg tools
Thank you for the clarification, Frank. Based on the point GAF made above, I think the most clearly written rule/errata for this phase has three bulletpoints to ensure that all instructions are explicit.

The first bullet describes removing resources as already written, the second describes removing empty mountain strips with your revised text (I think you should additionally clarify that they are "removed from the game," though the rulebook's later note about the 4-player long game makes that apparent), and the third bullet describes adding a mountain strip and filling it as already written.

Thanks for making a game I adore so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.