6 Posts

Tiny Epic Western» Forums » General

Subject: How is the solo game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Gamelyn games are well known for being solo friendly so I was wondering what the community thought about the solo variant for this game? How good is it? Is it worth picking the game up just for solo play?

Thanks and have a great day!

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kellett
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the solo game, it's up there with Galaxies for being a favourite. I'm on my (nor very) smart phone so a pain to post links but if you look at my geeklist in my profile, I have done a review there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Snyder
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy the solo game. If you would like more details you can check out my blog entry "Solo game and a playlist: Tiny Epic Western".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty C
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll also hop onto the "it's really good" feedback train. I find that you still have to make moves in reaction to the automated player, like you would another human player.

I just played a solo game last week where the rival (that's the name of your solo opponent was racking up a lot of buildings with high victory points or else with a lot of different industry tokens. I was able to keep up with victory points, but I knew it was going to come down to industry points.

I started buying businesses that weren't necessarily the highest victory points but I worked to negate his industry so we were tied in industry and then tried to win poker hands at the bank so I could push my leading industry up the track.

I ended up squeezing out a victory with just 1 extra victory point. It felt good. The rival location is determined by dice rolls, so it gives you enough randomness to feel like someone else is making decisions against you.

I like it a great deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy the solo game as well.

I'm curious though, has anyone upped the difficulty of the solo game by adding 1-4 buildings to the rival at the start? So far I've only played it on Learner (0 buildings added) but I'm going to start upping that and see if I can eventually win against an Epic rival!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty C
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played against Beginner difficulty (1), on Sunday and it was much more difficult than Learner difficulty (0). The Rival having a head start means you're playing catch up right from the get go. Depending on the card he draws to his location mat, even at Beginner difficulty he could have a 4 VP lead on you AND a better shot at taking the most industry tokens for additional VP. You have to start working to match or exceed his industry and also try and block him from acquiring high VP buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.