Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Fischbein
United States
Sacramento
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been wanting to acquire this game for a while now, and haven't been able to track down any copies in the local thrift stores, so when I got the "Back in Stock" notification from CSI, I jumped on it and nabbed a copy before they disappeared. On first inspection, I think maybe I should have kept searching for an older edition...

The new edition seems to have some significant changes. I haven't played any older editions, but have seen some of them in person (or in photos on BGG).

The new player board is my biggest disappointment: the coordinates are very hard to read- they're the same color as the background, they're just raised up a bit from the surface. In anything but bright light, they're pretty hard to distinguish. Maybe this isn't a big deal as it's just a coordinate system, but, it seems a poor design choice.

Adding to the illegibility issue is the choice of font for the blocks - it's also not the easiest to parse - letters look like numbers, etc. Again, maybe not a big issue, but certainly doesn't add to playability.

The former hotel chains have been reimagined as various corporations. The stock certificates are printed on nice cardstock and are about playing card size. The player reference boards are also nicely printed on hefty chipboard. The buildings are pretty garish and come with some tiny, fiddly attachments (the little orange protuberances in the photos) that need to be inserted into the plastic buildings (or not...) There's also an insert that can be used to sort/store the stock certificates and corresponding buildings during play, which is kind of nice. The paper money is... paper money.

As I said, I haven't actually played this yet, so I don't know how the components will affect gameplay, and I can't comment on changes in the format/size of the board, since I haven't played previous editions, but since it might be a little while before I get a chance to play, and there doesn't seem to be much info out there about this new edition, I thought I'd share my initial impressions and will update once I get a chance to play the game.

Scott
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hamilton
United States
Asheboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks pretty good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, looking at that reference card, there are now bonuses for the top 3 shareholders with the third place bonus being equivalent to what was the second place bonus. This seems a significant rules change.

In the 3 player game 1 share in a corporation would guarantee you a bonus?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the additional bonus column as I've always played the standard game with the Payoff Variant. Is the tray that stores the markers and stocks a flimsy vacuform or is it made as to withstand use?

Gg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is another big change: The changes of the hotel size affects the share prices differently than it did in the old version. It used to be:
2 -> 2
3 -> 3
4 -> 4
5 -> 5
6-10 -> 6-7
11-20 -> 8-17
21-30 -> 18-27
31-40 -> 28-37
41+ -> 38+

So the big three game changes:

Board size: 12x9 -> 10x10
Pay out: 2000/1000 -> 2000/1500/1000
3000/1500 -> 3000/2700/1500
etc.
Hotel size: as above.

The pay out to three players means that more players get money and it's less like that a few players will dominate the game while some players will sit idle and do nothing due to lack of money. That might be a good thing since it was one of the few things that I though was bad about this game, and it had a tendency to scare new players away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Turner
United States
flag msg tools
The board looks like a hobbyist 3D printed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking that the alpha-numeric treatment of the tiles should have been rethought.

Gg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Fischbein
United States
Sacramento
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So, we did play this at work today (we play 3-4 days/week during lunch, as described on this Geeklist). Everyone agreed that the grid coordinates were hard to read, but it wasn't much of a big deal, since you can figure stuff out easily, especially once a few tiles were down.

The font for the coordinates on the tiles however, turned out to be a bigger deal - someone placed one of the tiles on the wrong space, transposing the 9 and the "G" - which look almost identical. We caught it a move or two later, but couldn't remember who placed it, etc. Again, not a big deal once you get used to the number/letter size difference, but definitely a needlessly obtuse and silly choice of fonts.

All that said, we had a great time (though we couldn't quite finish in the hour we usually allot to lunchtime games - it took us about 75 minutes for a four player game of all first-timers). Looking forward to more plays of this, despite the shortcomings!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lite drybrushing or a white sharpie, might make the board better. nothing is going to help the font on the tiles though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Fischbein
United States
Sacramento
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
abodi wrote:
A lite drybrushing or a white sharpie, might make the board better. nothing is going to help the font on the tiles though

Funny you should mention that! I did exactly that (white sharpie) last night... definitely helps, though as you say, not with the font!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bowker
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scottf2 wrote:

So much unnecessary detailing on the board. To think someone spent valuable time to design that and couldn't figure out that the text style sucks.

Much appreciated on the component overview. So glad I still own my big box edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Gonzalez
Mexico
Laredo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
why would they change the rules of a classic game!? they could include them as variants, but thats about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Hensel
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abodi wrote:

I suppose you could print out more readable tile labels on sticker paper. That would probably help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scottf2 wrote:
The font for the coordinates on the tiles however, turned out to be a bigger deal - someone placed one of the tiles on the wrong space, transposing the 9 and the "G" - which look almost identical. We caught it a move or two later, but couldn't remember who placed it, etc. Again, not a big deal once you get used to the number/letter size difference, but definitely a needlessly obtuse and silly choice of fonts.

These sort of situations just boggle my mind. Out of all the fonts available why wouldn't something simple an easy to hear be a given? We're not children anymore, there shouldn't be a need to learn our numbers/alphabet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So... since you have the rules is it a 3rd place payout for all player counts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:
scottf2 wrote:

These sort of situations just boggle my mind. Out of all the fonts available why wouldn't something simple an easy to hear be a given? We're not children anymore, there shouldn't be a need to learn our numbers/alphabet.

It shouldn't be hard to mix up the 9 and the G. The letters are the bigger character. However, having a small character precede the larger character is not normal (unless you are Apple). A better font and same size characters would have sufficed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leonardo wrote:
why would they change the rules of a classic game!? they could include them as variants, but thats about it.

Agree. A straight-up reprint would have been far superior given how many copies of the original rules, board, and charts still exist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Statalyzer wrote:
Leonardo wrote:

Agree. A straight-up reprint would have been far superior given how many copies of the original rules, board, and charts still exist.

Perhaps the publisher was looking for a way to snag veteran Acquire players by giving them a reason to buy a revised version, rather than a "straight-up reprint." I am very interested in hearing what the vets think about the play of this version.

Gg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Denby
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
And I'll form the Head!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the 2008 Avalon Hill version and really like the game. Had always wanted one of the nicer 3D ones instead of the cheap thin cardboard version I had. I grabbed the new version from Target as it seemed like what I was looking for without the hassle of tracking down an older copy.

Personally I don't mind the changes to the rules. I got the same general experience with the gameplay. The huge flaw though was the graphics as others have mentioned.

The choice of font is horrible. We played two games and people constantly had issues with telling what their tiles were. On the second game there were multiple instances of people realizing that tiles that already had been in play (and in key spots) were wrong.

As we were early into the first game I thought I could later just fix the boards solid color issue by painting on some highlights on the spaces but ultimately the font would still be confusing. "Maybe I'll just repaint the tiles?" I thought. But I ended up just taking it back to Target the next day and getting my money back with no fuss.

For now I'll keep my old but not perfect version and keep an eye out for a nicer edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So completely disappointing. How do you screw up a grid?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Pickering
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have a scan of the new rule book to share?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

lukedenby wrote:
I have the 2008 Avalon Hill version and really like the game. Had always wanted one of the nicer 3D ones instead of the cheap thin cardboard version I had. I grabbed the new version from Target as it seemed like what I was looking for without the hassle of tracking down an older copy.

Personally I don't mind the changes to the rules. I got the same general experience with the gameplay. The huge flaw though was the graphics as others have mentioned.

The choice of font is horrible. We played two games and people constantly had issues with telling what their tiles were. On the second game there were multiple instances of people realizing that tiles that already had been in play (and in key spots) were wrong.

As we were early into the first game I thought I could later just fix the boards solid color issue by painting on some highlights on the spaces but ultimately the font would still be confusing. "Maybe I'll just repaint the tiles?" I thought. But I ended up just taking it back to Target the next day and getting my money back with no fuss.

For now I'll keep my old but not perfect version and keep an eye out for a nicer edition.

It's hard to imagine a more damning testimonial!

Gg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Longwood
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
l-hansen wrote:
There is another big change: The changes of the hotel size affects the share prices differently than it did in the old version. It used to be:
2 -> 2
3 -> 3
4 -> 4
5 -> 5
6-10 -> 6-7
11-20 -> 8-17
21-30 -> 18-27
31-40 -> 28-37
41+ -> 38+

So the big three game changes:

Board size: 12x9 -> 10x10
Pay out: 2000/1000 -> 2000/1500/1000
3000/1500 -> 3000/2700/1500
etc.
Hotel size: as above.

The pay out to three players means that more players get money and it's less like that a few players will dominate the game while some players will sit idle and do nothing due to lack of money. That might be a good thing since it was one of the few things that I though was bad about this game, and it had a tendency to scare new players away.

Good list. I also noticed my 2016 copy has 1 less stock certificate of each type than my classic copy (24 rather than 25 I think it is). Several other numbers were also tweaked (safe size and game end trigger size for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fine with the rules tweaks as I think the core game mechanic is solid enough to handle it (and might even benefit from it as some have mentioned).

But I just can't do that grid. Can't do those numbers. Still waiting for a readable, nice version of acquire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.