Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This person seems to think you can change it though:

http://townhall.com/columnists/derekhunter/2016/10/23/why-i-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
This demonstration is not authorized and is in clear violation of Mall of America policy.
badge
Those who continue to demonstrate will be subject to arrest.
mbmb
Is "You can't change your mind" a reference to something I don't recognize?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaitlyn Smith
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I could have written that article.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snoo Py
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Clinton showed you her tax returns, Trump did not.
Why on earth would you trust him more than here?
Also, if he thought he had the slightest chance to win, he would show them.
So, why would you change your mind to vote for the loser?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That doofus wrote:
The media needs to be destroyed. And although voting for Trump won't do it, it's something. Essentially, I am voting for Trump because of the people who don't want me to

Holy crap. Yep, it's something, all right!

"I want to fight tooth decay. And although stapling my junk to a 2x4 won't do it, it's something. It'll sure show those people who told me it was a bad idea!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
I'll ignore the linked blah, and focus on the title - "you can't change your mind".

Can you not? I think you can. I most certainly have over the years, sometimes drastically. I see no evidence to suggest otherwise. I see that many don't change their minds very much, but that is not at all the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
rinelk wrote:
Is "You can't change your mind" a reference to something I don't recognize?

sarxis is referencing himself and the way hes clinging to trumps lost cause
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Happy Holidays! ABCDEFGHIJK MNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just like the author's vote for Ross Perot, he's again going to do something totally futile since he's in DC. If he hates the media that much, maybe he should get a real job?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
The most telling line in the article: "journalists are in on it." Not "the media is biased," not "journalists tend to be liberal and defend liberal candidates." They're IN ON IT!!!!

The biggest conspiracy in the history of mankind, where the politicians and the media plot to rig the elections... where the universities brainwash the students to accept the results, and the big corporations (who are in on it too of course) get their kickbacks... the Muslims are also in on it, who manipulate the system so they can send terrorists to kill Americans... and the gays are working with the Muslims to persecute the Christian Republicans. And Benghazi!!! BENGHAAAZIII!!!!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that shark got jumped so enthusiastically and repeatedly that the shark itself is bored.

Wait. WAIT. Maybe that's a carefully-orchestrated campaign of dumbness designed to discredit all super-legit media. In which case, the ONLY LOGICAL CONCLUSION is that the author is IN ON IT.

QED, bitches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many more sanity points can the U.S. lose before it is devoured?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United States
flag msg tools
Joe Cool wrote:
Also, if he thought he had the slightest chance to win, he would show them.
So, why would you change your mind to vote for the loser?

Once you show your tax returns I'll accept the premise of your argument.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schoell
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it's a losing position to actually be against the first amendment, so instead you have to subvert it as much as possible?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The media is this country's latest "red scare".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the rent-free space in your head. Would have been nice if you'd cleaned it up a bit before you rented it out, though.
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe Cool wrote:

Yeah, that's the biggest issue with Hillary. Her tax returns. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Church is now the only place to get information that is trustworthy.

Everyone else is in on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
Church is now the only place to get information that is trustworthy.

Everyone else is in on it.

rofl, the church is known for disregarding facts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah so you can support and egg on some one right until the last moment and THEN when the damage is done say your changing your mind and it's not my fault.

Convenient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So, a journalist who says
Quote:
The media needs to be destroyed
What he is saying is that he believes his own work is bad, unreliable, biased or corrupted and that his own professional field should be destroyed.

It hink what he meant was: 'The media, except for me and anyone who agrees with me in the media, must be destroyed.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
Sarxis wrote:

No offense Chris, but Hunter's column? Blah, blah, blah, blah

I am as willing as anyone to point out media bias, but here's my observation:

The media is biased for anyone/any story that will get them ratings, sales, ad sales. In the early part of the campaign, the MSM concentrated on Donald Trump. Not always in a friendly way, mind you, but the Donald proved the old adage "any publicity is good publicity." Without the media concentrating on Trump instead of the other Republican candidates, they actually helped him lock up votes and the nomination. When it came to Hillary, no doubt they all had anointed her as the presumptive president. Sanders nearly upset their applecart. But if you go back to the Democratic debates, it wasn't until everyone had dropped out except Sanders and Clinton that the number of questions directed at anyone-not-named-Hillary started to even up with questions directed at only-people-named-Hillary.

Yeah, it's biased. But not for the reasons people think. It's corporate media these days, not journalism.

Oh, and Hunter's reason to vote for Trump ("Damned Media, I'll show'em") smacks of a lack of citizenship. Nobody told me or anyone else the media has to be fair, or that I couldn't determine my own opinions. If you're that dependent of whacky websites and blow-dried news anchors, maybe you shouldn't vote ... or drive ... or reproduce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:

"The media needs to be destroyed"? Could be the rallying cry of the average 1930's fascist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
This demonstration is not authorized and is in clear violation of Mall of America policy.
badge
Those who continue to demonstrate will be subject to arrest.
mbmb
Rulesjd wrote:
Sarxis wrote:

"The media needs to be destroyed"? Could be the rallying cry of the average 1930's fascist.

Will every story on Trump TV end "And, furthermore, the media must be destroyed", do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He wasn't changing his mind about Trump. He was changing his mind about casting a protest vote. Earlier in life, he felt the protest vote was the right thing even through it may have gotten Clinton elected. Now he looks at it and he has changed his mind about the effectiveness and functionality of the protest vote. He still thinks Trump is not very good. He just thinks that Trump is better than handing it to Hillary where earlier in life he felt voting his conscience was more important.

We've heard lots of liberals in here arguing that you have to hold your nose and vote Hillary to stop Trump. So why is this guy catching such flak for using the same theory in explaining why he is voting for Trump? He isn't changing from Hillary to Trump. He was never voting Hillary. He just changed his mind about whether he could stomach voting for the lesser of the two biggest evils.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the rent-free space in your head. Would have been nice if you'd cleaned it up a bit before you rented it out, though.
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulesjd wrote:
Sarxis wrote:

How about when the media are the fascists?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
He wasn't changing his mind about Trump. He was changing his mind about casting a protest vote. Earlier in life, he felt the protest vote was the right thing even through it may have gotten Clinton elected. Now he looks at it and he has changed his mind about the effectiveness and functionality of the protest vote. He still thinks Trump is not very good. He just thinks that Trump is better than handing it to Hillary where earlier in life he felt voting his conscience was more important.

We've heard lots of liberals in here arguing that you have to hold your nose and vote Hillary to stop Trump. So why is this guy catching such flak for using the same theory in explaining why he is voting for Trump? He isn't changing from Hillary to Trump. He was never voting Hillary. He just changed his mind about whether he could stomach voting for the lesser of the two biggest evils.

Precisely because Trump is the biggest of two evils. This rhetoric about destroying the media is very much a part of that.

To recap, Trump has publicly supported:

Making it easier to sue the press (direct attack on the 1st Amendment)

Excluding people from the US based on their religious identity (another attack on the 1st Amendment)

Bringing back water boarding and "more extreme" forms of interrogation (impinging on 8th Amendment ban on cruel and unusual punishment)

Executing the family members of terrorists (garden variety murder)

Allowing additional nations to develop nuclear weapons including Saudi Arabia thus weakening 50 years of effort to stem nuclear proliferation.

Retreating from NATO and thereby encouraging regional ambitions from Russia, China and Iran.

Withdrawing from NAFTA and inviting a trade war which threatens a return to market protectionism and the stagflation economy of the Carter era.

Weakening or eliminating civil service protections so he can stack the government with "loyalist" employees insulating him from any kind of whistleblowing or non partisan accountability.

These are just a few gems which suggests a completely hostile view of the limits of a constitutional government. Trump seems bound to build a cult of personality within the US government answerable only this his personal whims. Given his known positions, changing ones mind at this late stage to vote for Trump is really to throw over any concern of a chief executive who will "support and defend" the constitution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.