22 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: simple worker placement game for six to eight? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edwin Woody
msg tools
mbmbmb
I haven't had much luck on this one with forum searches and the browse function. Are there any decent 1.8 to 2.5 weight worker placement games that work well with six or more?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that does seem to be atough combination (worker placement, support more than 6, not too heavy).
The only one in the database with any serious amount of voters is VivaJava: The Coffee Game. I dont know it myself, but it is worker placement, scores a decent 7 average score, supports eight players and has a weight of 2.5 (the upper end of your given range).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan B.
United States
Shelby Township
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only one I own that worked decently with 6 is Lords of Waterdeep with the Scoundrels expansion. Worker placement is generally a slower paced mechanic and with more just means more downtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phogg wrote:
I haven't had much luck on this one with forum searches and the browse function. Are there any decent 1.8 to 2.5 weight worker placement games that work well with six or more?

I would say in general that "6 to 8" is a stumbling block no matter the other requirements. A tool you don't mention having tried is the Adv. Search at the top of this page where you can make an entry for "# of Players Range".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
Phogg wrote:

I would say in general that "6 to 8" is a stumbling block no matter the other requirements. A tool you don't mention having tried is the Adv. Search at the top of this page where you can make an entry for "# of Players Range".

That's what I did (6-8, weight as indicated, and mechanism worker placement) => VivaJava only (and a bunch of obscure games)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how good the experience will be even if you find one. A chief aspect of many worker placement games is taking away options from other players. At such a high player count, I doubt this would work well or it would work too well. I think you would be better off breaking into two groups of 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking to play euro's and what not it seems like 6 players is 2 table land.

Get another card table and pull out two games would be my advice. I know that may not be what you are looking for though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if you up the weight a little, the amount of good worker placement games that handle 6 is still low. 8 players is basically party game land.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
caverna says up to 7 although never tried it. i know it's over your range for weight but seems intuitive enough if you really need something??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
There's an obscure expansion for Alien Frontiers, Alien Frontiers: Expansion Pack #7, that says it plays 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Viticulture Essential Edition plays 6. Really nice worker placement with good components and theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
msg tools
mbmbmb
Xhawk wrote:
Viticulture Essential Edition plays 6. Really nice worker placement with good components and theme.

I had forgotten about that. I have it pre-ordered.

Thanks everyone for.the responses.
I have and like VivaJava: The Coffee Game: The Dice Game, so I think I will order the original when The reprint hits the stores. Add in Coffee Roaster and I will have a good set of Coffee themed games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
2 3-4 player games so people actually have fun. jeeze.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xhawk wrote:

I played it with 5. I have zero desire to play it with 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
There's an obscure expansion for Alien Frontiers, Alien Frontiers: Expansion Pack #7, that says it plays 6.

I personally would never, ever recommend this. I like Alien Frontiers but in my experience, anything more than 3 players and it becomes a mess. Long and boring and frustrating as all get-out. 6-player Alien Frontiers seems like it would be a nightmare.

Just don't say I didn't warn you...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal L
Switzerland
Attalens
FR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pillars of the Earth can go up to 6 players with the expansion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paula Z.
msg tools
...but you can't buy it anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stevenson
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately I suspect you will only be able to meet 2 of your 3 criteria:

You can find simple games that play 6 to 8, but they won't be worker placement. Lots of social deduction and party games fit the bill like Codenames, Two Rooms and a Boom, One Night Ultimate Werewolf

You can find (a few) worker placement games that play 6 or more, but they won't be simple (by your weight boundary definition). The aforementioned Caverna: The Cave Farmers andViticulture Essential Edition are some good examples.

Finally, you can find simple worker placement games, but they don't play 6 or more. (Too many examples to bother)

I'm afraid that If you want to play 6-8 people in a single game, you probably need to either forget worker placement, or forget simplicity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why wouldn't you just look for a GOOD game? Why does it have to be a specific mechanic?? You know there are other lightweight euro games that don't use worker placement..?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
msg tools
mbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Why wouldn't you just look for a GOOD game? Why does it have to be a specific mechanic?? You know there are other lightweight euro games that don't use worker placement..?

My wife and I are teaching modern games to another couple with children who are nine and twelve. We need to introduce the nine year old to different mechanics one mechanic at a time. The youngest does play chess, and once he gets something down then we can raise the difficulty level.

It's less awkward playing one game per session with my wife and I giving everyone pointers. If we split into separate groups then the groups would not receive equal lessons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shafer
msg tools
Phogg wrote:
Xhawk wrote:

I had forgotten about that. I have it pre-ordered.

Thanks everyone for.the responses.
I have and like VivaJava: The Coffee Game: The Dice Game, so I think I will order the original when The reprint hits the stores. Add in Coffee Roaster and I will have a good set of Coffee themed games.

If there is a reprint. I've been waiting about two years now.

Edit: I see they are actually mid production and aiming for q4 2016/q1 2017 release. Excited!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep with the expansion is the only worker placement game I would consider with 6. Stay away from Caverna for 6.

Even among Family Games, 6+ is pretty slim pickings. 7 Wonders and Bang! The Dice Game are our go-to choices for 6+. I've always wanted to try the classic Show Manager that apparently is best with 5-6.

Racing games are also great choices (especially since I love racing games), but they can still take a long time, like Formula D unless you use a variant like I do to majorly speed up the game.

RoboRally (with 1-2 boards ONLY) and Nuns on the Run (with 8, 2 players are a team) are good choices for shorter gamelength.

Steampunk Rally is another one on my wishlist to try, and apparently can play 8 in 60 min. The dice placement is a little like worker placement, but on your own vehicle parts only.

Space Cadet Dice Duel is a good choice for a team game that's heavier than a party game.

It's quite a bit heavier than you're looking for, and not really worker placement but has some of the same feeling of planning several actions ahead: Imperial is easily my favorite Euro that works well with 6 (although many argue it is better at 4 or 5).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.