"Mountains of Madness"
"Under the Pyramids"
wait for "The Dreamlands"
ignore big boxes and buy several/all small expansions
      104 answers
Poll created by sasha_spb_ru

Hi everyone!
Another "what to buy" question...
I'm from Russia and every purchase is pretty expensive, thanks to shipping cost, beside game price itself (not mentioning our income level).
I can't just go to FLGS and buy what I want in english language, also it is not easy to sell non-localized expansion alone, if I dislike it.
I definitely will purchase FL, when it will be available somewhere with cheap shipping (and I still can't find no FL anywhere, nor cheap shipping).
Probably, I will pick other small expansions, if I see them cheap, but this is in far future after FL.
So, currently I can afford only one big box to buy, and most affordable is MoM.
I created a poll.
What is your opinion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
ASL ... yes, this is my Desert Island Game. If I have to give up all my 3000+ games and only allowed to keep one, this would be it. This bloody game stood the test of time. Around for more than 25 years - simply the best.
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmb
Wouldn't it save a lot of shipping costs if you buy all the expansions that interest you at once? Even if this would mean, you have to wait until you saved up the necessary ?

Otherwise I voted for the Dreamlands, as I expect it to be the most awesome expansion so far ... meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zed
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
I enjoyed Pyramids over mountains, Nephren-Ka is a fun fight, both add a new side board, i think in the end it just comes down to the setting you enjoy, i would say wait for dreamlands but in your position i would be too impatient for that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturs Lescinskis
Latvia
flag msg tools
I'd say go with small-box expansions as they add tons of stuff and cheaper than big boxes.
They increase replayability quite a lot, and small box expansions other than Forsaken Lore add Prelude cards, sort of setups for the game, that will add something new if you already faced the same ancient ones couple of times. Also it's a good way to figure out, whether you're still into the game or not, as big box is quite a commitment. I'd suggest getting Strange Remnants after Forsaken Lore, as it adds focus mechanic and focus tokens.

Not to mention that all 3 small expansions fit into the core box.

Regarding ordering - check miniaturemarket.com . They had more or less ok rates for small boxes to Latvia, so in the end the price was almost the same as if'd get one at our local shop(but unfortunately, if item is not in stock, they can't provide any estimate when they're going to order new one, so for me it was faster to order from MM)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Philibert as well a maximum shipping rate of 15 euros to Latvia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Golovanov
Russia
St. Petersburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
Wouldn't it save a lot of shipping costs if you buy all the expansions that interest you at once?

It will not happen.
Sadly, my purchases are very rare, therefore, have no plans for mass purchases.
Rarely I can afford to get a very good game for my collection, even more rarely - a very good expansion.
Several years ago we had a good times - I used to purchase from CSI 10kg boxes filled with games, and even then it was not cheap treat.
And after ruble falling (it was aproximately $1=30RUB, now $1=60RUB) I'm purchasing only best of the best.

evil_lesh wrote:
Regarding ordering - check miniaturemarket.com

Thanks for info.
I see, that their shipping prices for small items are very affordable.
Unfortunately, they also don't have small EH expansions currently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
ASL ... yes, this is my Desert Island Game. If I have to give up all my 3000+ games and only allowed to keep one, this would be it. This bloody game stood the test of time. Around for more than 25 years - simply the best.
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmb
sasha_spb_ru wrote:
PzVIE wrote:
Wouldn't it save a lot of shipping costs if you buy all the expansions that interest you at once?

It will not happen.
Sadly, my purchases are very rare, therefore, have no plans for mass purchases.
Rarely I can afford to get a very good game for my collection, even more rarely - a very good expansion.
Several years ago we had a good times - I used to purchase from CSI 10kg boxes filled with games, and even then it was not cheap treat.
And after ruble falling (it was aproximately $1=30RUB, now $1=60RUB) I'm purchasing only best of the best.

I understand!
Well, another cheap option is probably the Marketplace here on the Geek, if you don't mind a used copy ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le Roux Van Der Vyver
msg tools
If you will almost surely get Forsaken Lore in future then go with Under the Pyramids.

If you are not sure that you will get Forsaken Lore in future get all the small box expansions that you can.

Reasoning - Forsaken expands the base game a lot. It adds so much replay-ability to the game for such a small price. Best value by far. If you have that the the Ancient Ones and side board from Under the Pyramids is pretty fun as it is in a Central Location and lots of players can stop by it. If you don't get Forsaken or you are not too sure about how long, the other 2 small boxes combined will give you more content to use with your base game than a single big box, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily Dickinson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Be aware that there seems to be a plan to reprint Strange Remnants, so that should be reduced in price and/or more available in a month or two.

Small expansions do seem to be the way to go. I like the Big Box side boards for theme, but for add replay to the base game, the Big Boxes have been better for the smaller contents - Investigators and other stuff. If you want bang for your buck, the small boxes are a better deal.

Dreamlands could be insanely great, of course, and you lose nothing by waiting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Golovanov
Russia
St. Petersburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for your opinions.
This poll was helpful - looks like UtP have more popularity (even with less owners) and the best (and, probably, more practical) choice is to get several small expansions.
I managed to get both Forsaken Lore and Strange Remnants.
I will wait for latest big box and see, how it will be compared to UtP.
Maybe I still purchase one big box, but two first small expansions for me are definitely not a mistake - I quite satisfied with this choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le Roux Van Der Vyver
msg tools
Hey Alex,

I recently got UtP and MoM. My advice, play the game as you have it now a few times. Once you get the hang of it ask yourself, do you want the game a bit harder or a bit easier?
If you want it harder, get UtP.
If you want it easier, get MoM.

Not saying the one is vastly easier from the other, it has just been my experience that the cards they add make the game a little harder/easier depending on which one you buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.