$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
24.3% of Goal | 30 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Fabled Fruit» Forums » Reviews

Subject: How do you like your Juice? Fabled Fruit short review (spoilers free) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ohad Pinchevsky
Israel
Tel Aviv
ISRAEL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, after reaching location 34 (of 59) I decided to write a short review.

Fabled Fruit is a set collection card game with worker placement mechanism (with only one worker) in which each turn a player is moving from one location to another collecting fruits as resources in every possible way you can think of (each location provides different mechanic for getting fruit cards).

If a location the player moved to occupied location by other players, the arriving player must give a fruit card to each of them.

Instead of collecting fruit the player can decide to buy a juice by discarding different combination of fruits (each location requires different combination)
Buying a juice is represented by taking the location card itself.

Once a player get a number of juices the game ends (number of juices depending on the number of players)

All that sound really boring, BUT the game is far from it, each location has 4 cards and the combination between the locations provides different strategies for winning, each time a player purchase juice one of the 4 locations is removed forever from the game and is replaced by a new location which may change the strategy instantly.
Think about it like the 10 Kingdom cards of Dominion that are being replaced while the game is in play.
The changes to the game are surprising and fun and you never know what to expect.

After the game ends then purchased location cards removed forever and the next game setup will be the moment the last game ended, providing something similar to the Legacy system without the destruction of cards.

My wife and I like it a lot and we believe it will hook many others if they give it a chance.

Highly Recommended!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review. I am looking forward to trying this game.

thepinch wrote:
My wife and I like it a lot and we believe it will hook many others if they give it a chance.

Were you and your wife mostly playing 2-player?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Fabled Fruit is a set collection card game with worker placement mechanism (with only one worker)

Shouldn't this be called an "action selection" mechanic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzan
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're at location #20 now, I think, and we're really loving it. How many location piles do you have mostly? The rulebook says at most 6, but we're at 9 or 10 now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Kröpke
Germany
Ascheberg
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Suzan wrote:
We're at location #20 now, I think, and we're really loving it. How many location piles do you have mostly? The rulebook says at most 6, but we're at 9 or 10 now.

The rules say:

"Usually, you will now have more than 6 small location stacks."

cool

Have fun with Fabled Fruit!

Henning
(2F-Spiele)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hector
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
http://brokenmeeple.blogspot.co.uk/
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried this at AireCon finally as it was swarmed at Essen. I thought it was OK but I wasn't seeing what everyone was raving on about. It's essentially set collection with some very basic (if varied) rules on how to collect cards - the theme allows for very colourful artwork, but it might as well not be there as the animals/fruits have no relevance. Even when new cards came out, people would more than likely just use the cards already there as they were obviously working well enough before to get their juices. And I could predict 4 turns before the end which player was going to win and they did - it wasn't even possible to stop him doing so, slight runaway leader problem maybe?

It wasn't bad, it was fine, I just didn't get wow'ed by it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzan
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blush Reading is difficult. Thank you, I was getting worried we were doing something wrong.

Henning wrote:
Suzan wrote:

The rules say:

"Usually, you will now have more than 6 small location stacks."

cool

Have fun with Fabled Fruit!

Henning
(2F-Spiele)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Langewisch
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
www.ludolodge.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Faso74it wrote:
Quote:
Fabled Fruit is a set collection card game with worker placement mechanism (with only one worker)

Shouldn't this be called an "action selection" mechanic?

I think the main distinction is that the action spaces are shared among the players, and the action you take can "block" (or in this game, require players to pay fruit) other players from taking the same action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy G
Italy
Morbegno
Sondrio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Thanks for the review. I am looking forward to trying this game.

thepinch wrote:

Were you and your wife mostly playing 2-player?

I'm interested too, as I'd probably play FF only 2p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With FF you mean
Fresh Fish
Fabled Fruit,
Finstere Flure,
Fremde Federn,
Frish Fleish,
Fuji Flush,
or Formidable Foes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ohad Pinchevsky
Israel
Tel Aviv
ISRAEL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play it mostly 2P (with my wife) but also had a session of few games while playing 4P.

It is a different experience, but the dynamics in both configuration were exciting and interesting.

Thanks,
Ohad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
farmergiles wrote:
Tried this at AireCon finally as it was swarmed at Essen. I thought it was OK but I wasn't seeing what everyone was raving on about. It's essentially set collection with some very basic (if varied) rules on how to collect cards - the theme allows for very colourful artwork, but it might as well not be there as the animals/fruits have no relevance. Even when new cards came out, people would more than likely just use the cards already there as they were obviously working well enough before to get their juices. And I could predict 4 turns before the end which player was going to win and they did - it wasn't even possible to stop him doing so, slight runaway leader problem maybe?

It wasn't bad, it was fine, I just didn't get wow'ed by it.

And I love Kingdom Builder (one of my all-time favorites and a great strategy game) which you rate a "1." So, to each his own. Funny, we both agree that Scythe is a "10."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hector
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh it's not a stab at anyone who likes it, but yeah I thought it was OK, just nothing like the hype it was getting.

And ugh, Kingdom Builder! The dryness! Oh the dryness........and give me more than 1 card!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
farmergiles wrote:
Oh it's not a stab at anyone who likes it, but yeah I thought it was OK, just nothing like the hype it was getting.

And ugh, Kingdom Builder! The dryness! Oh the dryness........and give me more than 1 card!!!

Hate to tell you, but you're missing something with KB! There's more than meets the eye in that one. Similar, in that sense, to Attika. Once you 'see the light' the game really pops. Well, it did for me (in both instances). Both seem, on the surface, to be simple, luck-of-the-draw games. But in both there are hidden (subtle) strategies that make the game shine. But you may not have my taste in games.

I love a game with a) simple mechanics (i.e., place a tile/meeple), and b) subtle strategies that open up the more you play the game. But, I also enjoy c) a small bit of luck/randomness as it keeps the game 'puzzle-like' and not so deterministic. Attika and KB both fall in this niche.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hector
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played it enough times (much to my pain) - there's only so much control you have and even then at the end of the day, it's just far too dry for me. You're putting monopoly houses on a clip-art quality board in order to put them in weird shapes and formations. For me as a theme lover, it's so far in the opposite direction that it's actually sucking theme away from a game on the next table!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.