$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
24.3% of Goal | 30 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
1 Posts

Summoner Wars» Forums » Variants

Subject: Raistlin's tweaks to rebalance some factions I consider too strong/weak rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raistlin
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all I'd like to say that I consider Summoner Wars pretty well balanced on the overall. There are 40 decks now and I can only imagine the hard work to balance so many, very different factions.

Anyway, after many plays, I came up with a list of little tweaks to improve the game experience.

Note that I play only with the original base decks and all this thread is referred to base decks only.

NOTE: I will update this post periodically.

GROGNACK: Grognack himself has now 6 Life Points

PRINCE ELIEN: Magic Drain changed into "Choose an opponent. If you have fewer Units on the Battlefield than that opponent does, remove up to 2 Unit cards from the top of that opponent's Discard Pile and place them on top of your Magic Pile."

TORGAN: Crushers have 3 Life Points

OLDIN: Heroic Feat is now only playable on Commons; Besiege the Walls targets only 3 opponent Walls; Magic Drain changed into "Choose an opponent. If you have fewer Units on the Battlefield than that opponent does, remove up to 2 Unit cards from the top of that opponent's Discard Pile and place them on top of your Magic Pile."

BOLVI: Bolvi himself has now 8 Life Points; Mortar Upgrade allows the Unit to attack up to 4 spaces; Dwaf has 7 Life Points

SNEEKS: Blarf has 7 Life Points

SERA ELDWYN: Priests have 3 Life Points; Raechel Loveguard's cost reduced to 4; Archangel's cost reduced to 6; Divine Strength Event changed into "You may remove up to 1 Wound Marker from each Common Unit that you control. Until the beginning of your next turn, when an opponent rolls to attack a Common Unit that you control, that Unit only receives Wound Markers from die results of 4 or higher during that attack."

SAMUEL FARTHEN: Valentina Stoutheart's cost reduced to 7; Sybil Swancott's cost reduced to 6 (this one is to test)

RET-TALUS: Forced Summon places only 1 wound on Summoner; Legions of the Dead only costs 2 Magic Points

VLOX: Dagger's cost reduced to 4; Magic Drain changed into "Choose an opponent. Remove up to 2 cards from the top of that opponent's Magic Pile and place them on top of your Magic Pile."

JEXIK: Kyra's cost reduced to 5

THE FILTH: The Abomination's cost reduced to 6 (just to make it a non-auto-Magic Pile card...)

SELUNDAR: one Swordsman (the left one) removed from the Starting Setup card; Malidala has 5 Life Points

TACULLU: Magic Drain changed into "Choose an opponent. If you have fewer Units on the Battlefield than that opponent does, remove up to 2 Unit cards from the top of that opponent's Discard Pile and place them on top of your Magic Pile."

ENDRICH: Owl Gryphon's cost reduced to 5

MAREK: Bauble's cost reduced to 4; Barston's cost reduced to 5

MELUNDAK: Shamans' cost reduced to 1

HOGAR: this is the worst deck of all in my opinion, for game design and for inconsistency. Hogar's deck is so weak to be quite unplayable - or anyway simply not fun to play - so I adopted a more drastic tweak for it, but without changing its original mechanic nor tweaking too many cards.
Simply, his Rules Card now reads as follows:
"Some cards in this set refer to "Rune Events". A Rune Event is an Event Card with the word "Rune" in the name. Rune Events are placed under Units per the text of the card. You may have no more than 2 Rune Events under a Unit. At the start of your Event Phase, if there are three or more Rune Events in your Discard Pile, you may place one of them on top of your Draw Pile."
The underlined part is the text portion I changed. I opened a thread in the Alliances Master Set entry about these changes, where I explain my choices:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1336600/balancing-tundra-gu...

In addition to the Rules Card tweak, I reduced also Raldag's cost to 4 and Vognar's cost to 6. Now the deck works and seems to be quite balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.