Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Smith
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Hey Folks

My friend and I are filing to establish our board game publishing company soon and have a name that we like for a number of reasons. But before sharing those reasons, I'd like to hear any opinions anyone has on the name 1 HP Games.

Thank you in advance for your time and thoughts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Herbertz
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
I like it: Starting with a number is even better than starting with "A"
Also, my immediate association with the name "1HP Games" is A) role playing games (or dungeon crawlers) where hit points are part of the terminology.
B) The company probably makes hard games, since getting out with a mere hitpoints hints at a high challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twenty Percent wrote:
Hey Folks

My friend and I are filing to establish our board game publishing company soon and have a name that we like for a number of reasons. But before sharing those reasons, I'd like to hear any opinions anyone has on the name 1 HP Games.

Thank you in advance for your time and thoughts!

I think in the gaming industry you'd have a lot of recognition of what the poster above indicated -- it immediately conjures up the idea of an RPG or competitive game where you escape by with a last ditch victory. And if you were planning to do Lovecraft themed games, of course, the HP is more potent.

My concern for you would be two-fold:

1.) Outside of the gaming industry, there would be confusion with Hewlett Packard. While it wouldn't impact BGGers and such, it could lead to issues if you intend to grow and one day aspire for your games to appear outside of just game stores, KS, and BGG.

2. If you are planning to start out with Lovecraftian games, using that as your name could pigeonhole you and make it difficult for you to pivot to making non-Lovecraftian games down the road.

Those are the main concerns I would have. Otherwise, seems fine to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In some fonts, a number 1 looks a lot like a lower case l or upper case I. Spelling out "One" would be a way to prevent this issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Automotive enthusiasts will likely read your name as "One Horsepower Games".

There's not a whole lot of crossover between boardgame enthusiasts and automotive enthusiasts though, so it's probably not something to spend much time worrying about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Smith
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

While we are working on a board game RPG, it's not going to be our launch game. We won't have a particular focus on RPG's or games that use Hit Points, but I honestly don't find that necessary.

I picked 1 HP Games for a couple reasons:

1. It's short, simple, and recognizable.
2. I like it. As an element that I personally wanted, it has a gaming trope. Just so there are no delusions of grandeur, I don't for a second think that will get people more likely to buy it or even grab more attention. (And really, as long as no one is suing or picketing the company name, the person it really matters to most are the founders.)

Regarding the other two concerns, I don't have any plans to make Cthulu mythos games. And I'm not concerned about computer or motorcycle folks from confusing the company with something they may be interested in. (Have you ever heard of a meteorologist confusing Blizzards with weather forecasting software?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Cat - No Cradle
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you will have 1 hit and then be dead
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twenty Percent wrote:

Regarding the other two concerns, I don't have any plans to make Cthulu mythos games. And I'm not concerned about computer or motorcycle folks from confusing the company with something they may be interested in. (Have you ever heard of a meteorologist confusing Blizzards with weather forecasting software?)

Thanks for coming on here blindly asking for opinions and thoughts from people as part of your "due diligence" on a name and then arguing with/mocking people for offering their opinions and thoughts that you solicited.

Makes me real eager to help with your next bit of crowd sourced research.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Herbertz
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Twenty Percent wrote:

You are brushing off valid concerns - you might think that there is no problem, but if Hewlett-Packard's lawyers were to come after you, then your opinion that there is no potential for confusion might not be enough...

Anyway, it's your decision and you are of course free to ignore people's valid concerns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Smith
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
hestiansun wrote:
Twenty Percent wrote:

Thanks for coming on here blindly asking for opinions and thoughts from people as part of your "due diligence" on a name and then arguing with/mocking people for offering their opinions and thoughts that you solicited.

Makes me real eager to help with your next bit of crowd sourced research.

You've stated your thoughts on the name (and I appreciate your time, honestly); I just wanted to provide my thoughts and opinions, too. My response wasn't intended to be an attack or mocking. I apologize if my response was snarky or rude; that wasn't my intention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Smith
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
KaiHerbertz wrote:
Twenty Percent wrote:

You are brushing off valid concerns - you might think that there is no problem, but if Hewlett-Packard's lawyers were to come after you, then your opinion that there is no potential for confusion might not be enough...

Anyway, it's your decision and you are of course free to ignore people's valid concerns.

I am not brushing off or ignoring these concerns. I've actually talked these over with my friend who is co-founding the company with me and with a couple others.

You are absolutely right, though, that if HP lawyers came at us with cease-and-desist letter, I would be singing a different tune. I'll look into the HP rights a bit more.

I don't want you to think I am ignoring these concerns, I actually value them quite a bit and have considered and talked over them all. I could have said that in my initial response so you didn't think I was ignoring them and stepping on anyone's toes. Honestly, it's just the opposite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twenty Percent wrote:

You've stated your thoughts on the name (and I appreciate your time, honestly); I just wanted to provide my thoughts and opinions, too. My response wasn't intended to be an attack or mocking. I apologize if my response was snarky or rude; that wasn't my intention.

Ok. I would suggest however that when you come to solicit advice (anywhere, not just BGG) you are more specific in terms of what advice you want when there is some you clearly don't want. I value my time, and while I don't mind helping people, I would have preferred if you had just outright said what advice you weren't looking for instead of that you were looking for "any" opinions.

Good luck with your company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Smith
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
hestiansun wrote:
Twenty Percent wrote:

Ok. I would suggest however that when you come to solicit advice (anywhere, not just BGG) you are more specific in terms of what advice you want when there is some you clearly don't want. I value my time, and while I don't mind helping people, I would have preferred if you had just outright said what advice you weren't looking for instead of that you were looking for "any" opinions.

Good luck with your company.

I appreciate the feedback and advice. I will be more specific when soliciting advice and more tactful when responding. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first read of the name was "horsepower" just because I was looking at the specs for industrial equipment more recently than I was RPG'ing.

But if it's supposed to be read as "hit point" that would make the name of your company "One Hit Point Games" which makes me think that you're aiming to be a "One-hit wonder."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Sirenko
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
Fennic wrote:
Sounds like you will have 1 hit and then be dead

i totally agree with this

i would go the other way and name it Full HP Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
flag msg tools
FWIW:
There are already a couple of studios with similar names, although they appear to be video game outfits rather than board game outfits. Not sure if they would pose any legal threat to you guys.

http://www.hitpointgames.com/
http://www.hitpointstudios.com/
1hp-gaming.com/
www.1-hp.org/start-here/

Also this place, which doesn't appear to be a traditional board game publisher, but they'r edefinitely doing SOMETHING board game related:

http://www.hitpointsales.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Smith
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Stewi wrote:
FWIW:
There are already a couple of studios with similar names, although they appear to be video game outfits rather than board game outfits. Not sure if they would pose any legal threat to you guys.

http://www.hitpointgames.com/
http://www.hitpointstudios.com/
1hp-gaming.com/
www.1-hp.org/start-here/

Also this place, which doesn't appear to be a traditional board game publisher, but they'r edefinitely doing SOMETHING board game related:

http://www.hitpointsales.com/

Hey Stewart, this is phenomenal feedback! We don't want to have a name that can easily get lost among several similar sites/companies (especially ones in a similar industry). We would like to be able to own the webspace we are in.

After talking it over a bunch (specifically citing some of your feedback), we are going with another game. We came up with Winsmith Games, which is a double entendre for us.

First it's a combination of our names (his Winstead and mine Smith), but it also means someone who can forge a win.

Thanks again EVERYONE for the feedback. It didn't go unheard and helped us find an even better name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Winsmith Games. That's cool. I like it. Much better than 1 HP. It has character. And it gives you freedom to work with games outside of the 'hitpoints sphere'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
flag msg tools
Yeah, I like Winsmith Games, too. Rolls off the tongue nicely.
Best of luck with your games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
Winsmith Games. That's cool. I like it. Much better than 1 HP. It has character. And it gives you freedom to work with games outside of the 'hitpoints sphere'.

Agreed. I think this is an awesome name and gives you plenty of options down the road.

Good luck on the (ad)venture!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Smith
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone for the awesome feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.