Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rico Cordova
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
We played two 2-player games and then spent a great deal of time discussing strategies for the game. No matter what we resolved, it appeared that if anyone goes for the rodeo it forces everyone to go for it or they have no chance to win. We played a few "mock games" to verify this. We had one player focus on animals and level 3 goods. We had one player focus on objectives and fulfilling city cards then one player focus on the rodeo. The rodeo player won by 127 points.

We're a little confused about why the rodeo is so powerful. Most worker placement games provide you with several avenues for strategy that are viable as winning conditions. That doesn't appear to be the case here. We had one game were one player skipped the first, tied the second and came in second on the third and won by 6 points - this was done where one player focused on nothing but rodeos. (In this case, if the rodeo-focusing player hadn't placed an unused seed they would have completed an objective and won by 3 points.)

We'd like to get verification from others who have played the game. Have you noticed the rodeo to be overpowered? Is it intended to be?

We are considering making some house rules to tame the rodeo a bit (see what I did there?) and make it less powerful. We're toying with:

1st Rodeo - Prizes are 10, 5, 3 (all who participate get at least 3) - no choosing items for winning - first place discards their horse
2nd Rodeo - Prizes are 15, 10, 5 (all who participate get at least 5) - no choosing items for winning - first place discards their horse
3rd Rodeo - Prizes are 20, 15, 10 (all who participate get at least 10) - no choosing items for winning - first place discards their horse

We'll try this our next game to see if that evens it out a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a couple times now, going for "rodeo mastery" once and just participating another time. I did better when not focusing on it as it allowed me to diversify my crops beyond apples and I ended up producing several level 3 goods that more than made up for my not winning any of the 3 rodeos.

Now, if the event card for the extra rodeo had appeared, I don't know that the outcome would have been the same. The rodeo is indeed a viable strategy, but I wouldn't call it overpowered. Even if you do focus on it, you still have to manage other aspects of the game to compete. It's one of the little "something extras" that allows this game to stand out among other farming titles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rico Cordova
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Your response leads me to believe we might have been playing the game wrong. We never had a single player ever get close to getting 2 level 3 goods, let alone "several" - especially at higher player counts. With 2 players we were getting our only level 3 good during round 6 or 7. At 4+ players it was always a mad scramble to get our only level 3 good (if you were able to) on round 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kreps
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, there's not enough information here to tell if you were playing wrong. What kind of scores did you get?

I've only played once. It was a 3 player game and it was a first time for all (I think). I ignored the rodeo completely, scored over 250 with most of that coming from the last two rounds plus final scoring. I had amassed a large selection of level 1 & 2 goods that I converted into five level 3 goods right at the end. (One set of 3 different, one set of 2 different). I missed getting a sixth level 3 (that would have been the fourth different) by one action but would have still been short of the victory.

Both other players used the rodeo. The winner scored 301 by monopolizing sheep and creating tons of wool (he had several improvements that worked together well). The other came in third somewhat behind me with a heavy grape strategy.

The thing we couldn't understand after the first game was why anyone would ever continue to advance their horse. We decided it must make more sense at higher player counts but in our game having level 1 or 2 was enough. Anything more seemed to be wasted actions acquiring and feeding apples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S.
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played this as 2 players, and after our first game we decided to not play with the rodeo. Our experience was the same in that if one person goes for the rodeo and the other doesn't, then you're essentially giving them points. We didn't do a lot of testing, but in our subsequent games we had a lot more fun ignoring the rodeo as we were able to focus on other things instead of using our workers to build up our horse.

My assumption is that it is more effective in a 3 or higher player game, but for the 2 player experience, we feel it was better left out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.