Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The following text is from the campaign of the game Gloomhaven.
Beware of spoilers.

This is the diary of Vaath, exiled from the Savvas people for failing to master one of the four elements, I spent many years living in solitude, reflecting my position. Would I ever be able to master fire, earth, air, or ice, would my society ever let me return. Many years passed with no progress; without the teaching of my peers, I would have no way to learn more. Realising that any attempt to continue my teachings away from my people, I eventually decided to do something different with my life and become a mercenary.

However, I did not just want to become just another mercenary, I wanted to do it in style, to have stories of my battles told by bards across the known world. This will be my legacy, this will be my purpose. I headed for the town of Gloomhaven to begin my adventure.

Shortly after arriving in town, I met up with three others who were also beginning their career as mercenaries: Lim - an Orchid Spellweaver, Echo - a Quatryl Tinkerer, and Sitara-Rex, a Human Scoundrel. The four of us all had their own reasons for being in town and so decided to form a party known as the Wanderers.

It wasn’t long before word reached us of a local merchant needing some help. Jekserah was a Valrath woman who had recently had some important documents stolen. Our job was to return them to her and she would pay us in gold. We agreed to the job and started making enquiries around town as to the location of the thieves’ hideout.

Whilst making our enquiries, we got some help from a young boy dressed in rags. After giving us a useful tip, a pair of city guards arrived and grabbed the boy, accusing him of thievery. The boy didn’t deny it, but was claiming to have only done it because his family was starving. We had an opportunity to intervene here and we did, although Lim seemed very wary of the guards.

We entreated with the guards to let the boy go, and maybe if we were more well-known in the city, they would have listened. However, they only agreed to let him go if we paid his fine. However, we were all broke, which is one reason we accepted the job from the merchant in the first place. Eventually, seeing our willingness to pay the boy’s fine, and even though we could not, the guards let him go. The boy thanked us, and before he left us, he said: “Head north, the Black Barrow”.

After making further enquiries, we learned that the Black Barrow was indeed being used as a hideout for thieves, and we got a description of the man responsible for the theft. We left town, heading north. On our way, we got hungry and came across a large bush with some berries growing on it. Sitara said it would be safe to eat them, so we did, and they were very tasty. An hour or so later however, when we arrived at the Black Barrow, we were all feeling very sick; maybe we shouldn’t have eaten those berries.

The Black Barrow was a mound formed from black earth, jutting out on the edge of the Corpsewood. A small overgrown entrance presented a set of stone steps leading down into the darkness. As we descended, we saw light emanated from below and knew we were in the right place. We came upon a room filled with cutthroats, who did not approve of our unplanned visit. A man in the back matched the description of our quarry, but he fled through a doorway leaving us to fight the guards. We defeated the guards and headed through the door into the next room, only to come across a group of bandit archers. The fight was tough and we took many wounds, relying on Echo to heal us when needed. Sitara disabled the trap in front of the next door and we proceeded.

What we found in the next room was unexpected. More archers, but with them, animated bones of dead things. With multiple limbs and carrying swords and shields, the living bones rushed out of the room to attack us, with the archers staying in the room and shooting at us through the doorway. We almost didn’t make it, and I took many arrows in the final battle that I was knocked unconscious, not knowing whether my companions would survive. Was this the end?

Some time later, Echo revived me with a magic spell, and I regained consciousness to find a room full of dead bandits and an open treasure chest. Lim had opened the chest and found a map to the Windswept Highlands, a location south-west of Gloomhaven. Maybe we should go there at some point, but for now, the man we sought was not among the bodies, so we must continue our current mission. A set of stone steps leads further down into the darkness. I shudder to think what horrors await us in the catacombs below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Bullins
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Any chance of a gameplay video of one of your play sessions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thebull56 wrote:
Any chance of a gameplay video of one of your play sessions?
Afraid not, its a group of friends who meet up and play and there is chatter and stuff going on too, stops for drinks, nibbles, etc.
And a couple of people would not really want themselves being filmed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Bullins
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Gotcha. Welp, keep enjoying the game, and I'm looking forward to more diary entries!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting these Paul, super excited to see where the story will go.

The travel events sound a bit basic, but still a nice little spike of flavour to and from the various dungeons!!

Are you group enjoying it so far?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
blunder1983 wrote:
There needs to be a new word for defining just how much we are enjoying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
You got drama all over my meeples!
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
blunder1983 wrote:

Yes! This is what I want to hear, Paul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
blunder1983 wrote:

Gloomtastic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloomrious!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Hoerz
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So they are in Gloomheaven!? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's gloomheaven? The paradise of the nihilists?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pearson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I'm curious to know what your favorite aspects of the game are? Is it the gameplay, the story telling, the unlocking new content? Something else? Would your game group be willing to weigh in with their opinions on what their favorite aspects are?
Sorry I'm an addict.... Just looking for more to satisfy my craving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
From my point of view, the overall package of the game is superb.

Even if there was no campaign, no story, just a series of dungeon scenarios, Gloomhaven would be an incredible dungeon crawler. But with all the other stuff thrown in, it takes it to a whole new level.

I enjoyed Pandemic Legacy, but it was 12 scenarios with a linear storyline that you could not really influence, you were just along for the ride. Gloomhaven has a branching storyline giving you real choices on what to do, each affecting the outcome in a big way.

For me personally, the way that the city and road decks evolve is very cool indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foldedcard
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
So, better than Seafall?

The complaints I have heard about Seafall are the slow pacing and samey-ness of gameplay. I gather Gloomhaven does better on both fronts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
foldedcard wrote:
So, better than Seafall?
The complaints I have heard about Seafall are the slow pacing and samey-ness of gameplay. I gather Gloomhaven does better on both fronts?

Based on everything I have heard of Seafall, I dont think Gloomhaven would have to try very hard to do better.

Like all games, they are not for everyone. But this one is certainly for me, and a LOT of people I know are going to love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I am not sure Gloomhaven will have (and I don't wanna find out overly ) is a big twist. Like in April in Pandemic, and I think one of the boxes in Seafall where it is like, WOAH THAT TOTALLY CAME OUT OF NOWHERE!!

That said a persistent world with growing towns, events and characters is more than enough for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Except, as I mentioned earlier, it is not just a pre-written story where you are along for the ride. Although we are only 3 scenarios in, so there may indeed be "key events" which apply to every campaign - I dont know at this stage, but right now I'm impressed by the choice, and if I was to play again, I might go a completely different branch of the storyline and see how that pans out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pearson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Sorry if you already posted this elsewhere Paul but I am wondering if you will be doing a rules overview video for Gloomhaven? If so, do you have an ETA?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Caciolli
Italy
Padua
flag msg tools
mb
how long it takes to complete e scenario with 4 players? 30min per player as Isaac said or different?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Paul is doing a rules overview for both scenario combat and the campaign aspects. It should be released by the time boxes arrive to backers (January).

As to Antonio's question, I think Paul was telling me that it is taking his group of four more like 3 hours per scenario, but they're still learning the ropes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cephalofair wrote:
Yes, Paul is doing a rules overview for both scenario combat and the campaign aspects. It should be released by the time boxes arrive to backers (January).

As to Antonio's question, I think Paul was telling me that it is taking his group of four more like 3 hours per scenario, but they're still learning the ropes.

We're learning the ropes, but we are also not rushing. We're happy to take our time, think about things a bit more. I definitely think 30 mins per player is easily doable, but... Gloomhaven is far more than just move your dude 4 spaces and roll some dice. There are real important decisions to make, and we're comfortable spending a bit longer on that than others would. The "no proper communication" rule works really well too, so we are not losing any time with that, but it puts a bit more pressure on the individual to not mess things up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Ackland
msg tools
PaulGrogan wrote:
Cephalofair wrote:

We're learning the ropes, but we are also not rushing. We're happy to take our time, think about things a bit more. I definitely think 30 mins per player is easily doable, but... Gloomhaven is far more than just move your dude 4 spaces and roll some dice. There are real important decisions to make, and we're comfortable spending a bit longer on that than others would. The "no proper communication" rule works really well too, so we are not losing any time with that, but it puts a bit more pressure on the individual to not mess things up

This is incredibly reassuring. The tactical decisions combined with the limited communication seemed like one of the major strengths of the minute to minute gameplay. Heating that it really works makes me incredibly excited

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Caciolli
Italy
Padua
flag msg tools
mb
just a question: after the first game you have unlocked other 2/3 scenarios if I am correct

In case you decide to play the game with another group you can just make the new party and go to one of those new dungeon or you have some constraint in where you are allowed to go ... this is something I still do not well understand

thanks
Antonio

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Antonio8080 wrote:
just a question: after the first game you have unlocked other 2/3 scenarios if I am correct

In case you decide to play the game with another group you can just make the new party and go to one of those new dungeon or you have some constraint in where you are allowed to go ... this is something I still do not well understand.

I dont want to say too much without giving any spoilers away, but you will unlock 2 more scenario locations after completing scenario 1.

Now, whether you want to send the second group into scenario 2 is up to you. For me... if I was in the group that played scenario 1, and then before we met up again, some other group had already played scenario 2, I dont think I'd like that.

But it's up to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Caciolli
Italy
Padua
flag msg tools
mb
me neither

it was just a question since I plan to play the game with my usual group and hopefully also with my nephew and niece as second group

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.