Subject: Stalled Bridge/Crew deck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Green
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We played for the first time last night and lost in Part 2 of Serenity. We felt our biggest issue was rarely being able to afford any cards that were available. Most of the cards we were drawing had a cost of 6 or 7. From our experience with the Aliens version those seemed high. We got an upgrade that lowers the rightmost card cost by 1, but that just led to us buying whatever card that was to keep crew coming. (All of the Browncoats were purchased as well.)

Is there a rule I missed about stacking identical cards? Is there any rule for 'flushing' the Bridge row? Is this a pretty rare situation, or do some of you run into that too? Any tips for mitigating that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's a very rare situation. I've never experienced something like that in about 15 games I've played. There's no need for any bridge mitigation rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a similar issue as well, though it wasn't always a case of not being able to afford the cards on the bridge but simply not wanting to buy any of them. We also were wishing there was some kind of bridge flushing option, pay 4 points to flush the bridge or something like that. Easily house ruled, but there's no official way to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Puderbaugh
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had the issue of not being able to afford cards in the 4 games I have played. It would be nice if you could flush the bridge, have more Browncoats, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
msg tools
If there was a community recognized 'fair cost' for flushing the board, would "4" be it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob gabriels
Belgium
antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you won the first part? how did you defeat the dortmunder? I am playing it solo and I can't figure out how you can possible get to 10 fast enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mac13eth wrote:
We played for the first time last night and lost in Part 2 of Serenity. We felt our biggest issue was rarely being able to afford any cards that were available. Most of the cards we were drawing had a cost of 6 or 7. From our experience with the Aliens version those seemed high. .....

You're right - that IS high, and very unlucky. Not game game with me, but I think the ratio of 6&7 cards to lower cost ones should be about 8:56 in the bridge (about 1:7). Drawing four bridge cards of cost 6 or 7 I think is just on the far edge of the probability curve - I doubt it will happen again.

So far as the general "flushing" the bridge....I think that its just a case of having to suck it up and buy a card or two you don't want: that's just the way the 'verse flows.

Perhaps rather than flush the whole bridge, a reasonable rule to clear cards you don't want might be to pay cost+1 to move the card directly to the dead pile - that way you can gradually clear the bridge, but not so quickly you can easily get a hand full of just the best cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Stu Holttum wrote:
You're right - that IS high, and very unlucky. Not game game with me, but I think the ratio of 6&7 cards to lower cost ones should be about 8:56 in the bridge (about 1:7). Drawing four bridge cards of cost 6 or 7 I think is just on the far edge of the probability curve - I doubt it will happen again.

Each of the 9 characters have 14 cards with the following cost breakdowns:
* 1 rare which costs 7-9
* 3 uncommon which cost 5-6
* 10 common (5 each of 2 different cards) which cost 2-4

Playing the normal setup (4 supporting characters) gives you 56 cards with the following cost breakdown:
* 4 rare (cost 7-9) = 7.14%
* 12 uncommon (cost 5-6) = 21.43%
* 40 common (cost 2-4) = 71.43%

and just for fun, here is a list of the cost breakdown of all 126 character cards (though you'd never have all 9 character minidecks in the game): (percentages are rounded, but you get the idea)
2 cost: 15 cards (12%)
3 cost: 40 cards (32%)
4 cost: 35 cards (28%)
5 cost: 15 cards (12%)
6 cost: 12 cards (10%)
7 cost: 4 cards (3.2%)
8 cost: 3 cards (2.4%)
9 cost: 2 cards (1.6%)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bobgabriels1 wrote:
you won the first part? how did you defeat the dortmunder? I am playing it solo and I can't figure out how you can possible get to 10 fast enough.

You don't need to defeat the Dortmunder to complete the episode. You'll most likely just need to grab the cargo and get away fast, like in the episode!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.