8 Posts

Betrayal at House on the Hill: Widow's Walk» Forums » Rules

Subject: Monsters and Dumbwaiters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Sims

Indiana
msg tools
I played with the Widow's Walk expansion for the first time this weekend. The traitor ended up becoming a Werewolf (#5). Within the Traitor's Tome, it states the Werewolves (nor the dog) cannot use the elevator. In the new rule book for the Widow's Walk expansion there is only a small description of the dumbwaiter and how it's used, but it never states monsters cannot use it. Although I personally didn't think it could use utilized, we couldn't find a rule stating monsters cannot use the dumbwaiter.

Has anyone else experienced this or come up with other rulings?

I considered a house rule that if the monster cannot use the elevator it can't use the dumbwaiter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Colorado springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your ruling sounds completely reasonable. We played a haunt the other night with human monsters with no prohibition on the elevator, and all agreed that they could use dumbwaiters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Almost after every single haunt, I wish there were an extra few sentences of clarification on any of them.

Always fun though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
You might check the base game rulebook and FAQs. I seem to recall a rule that the house was set up for the monster's benefit (possibly explained via the 1st Edition FAQ.)

In 2nd edition, you can see some of that logic in the rules on page 19 that reviews some of the questions about how tiles and monsters interact:

http://media.wizards.com/2015/rules/betrayal_rules.pdf

I'd say the general rule is that monsters can use any feature of the house unless the rules or scenario specifically says otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's not specifically stated in the rules or haunts that monsters can't use the dumbwaiter, I'd assume they can. I just recently picked up Widow's Walk and although I haven't played any of its haunts yet, I have read the very brief rulesheet and did not see any rules preventing monsters using the dumbwaiter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clanggedin Silverbeard
United States
SALEM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you can't press a button in an elevator, certainly you can't grab a rope and pull it up or down. The only monster that could possibly do this would be a Dracula or other human enemies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If all monsters were the same e.g. could use the Dumb Waiter, wouldn't that take some of their "theme" away? At the very least, humans and animals should be different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Scaife
msg tools
I think that even if the monsters couldn't operate the dumb waiter they could still move through the shaft that the dumb waiter uses. If they were humanoid they could use the dumb waiter anyway.

I would say that unless the rule prohibits it the dumb waiter can be used by monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.