Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Hecox
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've played games of Energy Empire at both 2 and 3 player counts.

I'm in the love with the game, but unless I'm doing something wrong, I found a loophole that creates an infinite game.

With two players, both of us were able to purchase structures from the commercial sector that gave victory points once activated.

Because of this, neither of us wanted to end the game so we only took victory points and actions that did not give us pollution tokens.

Since taking pollution is how you end the game, even the additional neutral workers on the structure purchase spaces didn't matter. We could just spend a turn allocating victory points and random resources, and then generate next turn, gaining them all back.

Our game would literally never end, and I was able to produce more VP than he could every turn, so why would I want to end it? Well, because I didn't want the game to draw on for hours and hours.

I also had an engine in the government sector that allowed for cleaning my pollution so a messy environment was never a problem for me.

Could either of the designers clarify if I am missing a step where I'm supposed to gain pollution (aside from purchasing structures) at some point?

From my understanding, this event could even happen in a three player game, though I think the stiff competition in a four or five player make it very unlikely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mb
koreanpenguin wrote:
Because of this, neither of us wanted to end the game so we only took victory points and actions that did not give us pollution tokens.

The rules state that if you pull back workers, you roll for power. If the roll does not indicate any pollution, you still discard one from the current stack to the supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hecox
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
koreanpenguin wrote:

The rules state that if you pull back workers, you roll for power. If the roll does not indicate any pollution, you still discard one from the current stack to the supply.

Oh my gosh. I forgot this rule after my first game. Okay, that completely solves the issue then.

I suppose players can still drag the game out, but that pollution roll keeps it moving.

Nice. Thanks for that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Laurie
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you figured it out! It's really important that players are always discard one pollution each time the generate if they do not pollute. It's also really important that players always take pollution from the track, unless otherwise indicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.