Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're really struggling with the second mission with just two players. It feels like it would be much easier with more - two could stay back and defend and the other two go out and collect what's needed. With one person doing each job it takes longer to pick things up and it's very hard to defend from every direction.

It struck me through the tutorial and initial mission that the game doesn't seem to do much to balance player counts. You get more choice of strategy cards with less players, but that doesn't compensate for the lack of actions.

I've seen other people mention that they feel it cuts both ways. Presumably on a smaller board with more mechs it's easier for them to bump into one another. But I find this a bit of a shortcoming as it makes it hard to predict what sort of game you're going to get depending on who's playing.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played through the 5th scenario and feel that the second one is the most problematic with 2 players.

We managed to pull through thanks to this strategy:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
One player rushed off to collect the farthest gem, while the second player stayed behind to kill minions. The defending player also got his hands on many fire cards and created several lv3 fuel tanks to wipe the board effectively. Flamespitter was also a powerful card in this setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
thegrinder wrote:
We managed to pull through thanks to this strategy:

One player rushed off to collect the farthest gem, while the second player stayed behind to kill minions. The defending player also got his hands on many fire cards and created several lv3 fuel tanks to wipe the board effectively. Flamespitter was also a powerful card in this setting.

Thanks for the strategy tip! I've been worried about scenario 2 with 2 players since reading through it. Your plan sounds like a good one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fuel tanks were critical in our game win as well on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Williams
United Kingdom
Penkridge
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We completed mission 2 with 2 players on the first attempt using 2 heavily weaponised mechs. We started by focusing on the sides and ignored the front of the school. We used a couple of flame splitters to good effect. Then when we were powered and had pretty much cleared the sides we grabbed both side crystals and dropped them back at the school and both of us went for the final crystal, one to control the minions while the other grabbed and ran, we took quite a lot of damage which messed things up a bit and we got very lucky with dice rolls (getting a couple of red rolls at the right moment really stopped things escalating beyond our control).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MattDP wrote:
We're really struggling with the second mission with just two players. It feels like it would be much easier with more - two could stay back and defend and the other two go out and collect what's needed. With one person doing each job it takes longer to pick things up and it's very hard to defend from every direction.

It struck me through the tutorial and initial mission that the game doesn't seem to do much to balance player counts. You get more choice of strategy cards with less players, but that doesn't compensate for the lack of actions.

I've seen other people mention that they feel it cuts both ways. Presumably on a smaller board with more mechs it's easier for them to bump into one another. But I find this a bit of a shortcoming as it makes it hard to predict what sort of game you're going to get depending on who's playing.

Any thoughts?

When drafting 2 players are getting 2 cards each draft while 4 players are getting 1 card each. As the mission goes on 2 mechs can power up faster have and program their mech more efficiently. I see this as the balancing aspect. Diminishing returns kick in around the 7th draft as by then a 4 player team will start powering up and as it goes on they will out action the 2 player team. There are a lot of factors that will play in such as what the objectives are, how long the mission is, what unique rules come into play. I have not played through every mission but so far I haven't seen it as an imbalance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Koenig
Germany
Fuerth
Bayern
flag msg tools
Tom is crazy!
mbmbmbmbmb
thegrinder wrote:
... feel that the second one is the most problematic with 2 players.

I just won mission 2 with 2 players together with my 70 year old mom on our first try. So I say don't worry about balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mechaniac wrote:
thegrinder wrote:
... feel that the second one is the most problematic with 2 players.

I just won mission 2 with 2 players together with my 70 year old mom on our first try. So I say don't worry about balance.

Your mother might be a computer scientist?

Joking aside, I am really pleased to hear that many non gamer adults or children are enjoying this game. Hopefully, my family will enjoy it too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Ebert

Jackson
Georgia
msg tools
So the way I see it the draft is what balances out the game. In a two player game you get 2 cards every draft vs only getting 1 card per player in a four player game. The minion movement is a constant per game so at the same point in the game the mechs in a 2 player game are theoretically twice as powerful than the mechs in a 4 player game. This allows for more movement and stronger damage abilities earlier in the game to offset the fact there are less mechs on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Buck
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I played Mission 2 with two players after barely winning it with four, wondering how much more difficult it would be. So, I played it by myself, controlling both players, and was successful.

Spoiler for how below:

I found that with Trist & Ziggs as the two, I was able to play defense in the center with Ziggs while Trist collected the far gem first. I think I rolled a few reds, which certainly helped, but by the time Trist brought the first gem back, I had earned her "blow up everything" spec card from 15 minion kills, and was able to stop the only minion that threatened ending the game. From there, Trist took the left side and Ziggs the right, and were able to grab gems & come back within two more turns.

Ziggs used Omnistomp, Ripsaw, Cyclotron and Flamespitter as I recall, Trist used Speed and Blaze with a little Chain Lightning and Fuel Tank / Memory Core.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.