Hide
13 Posts

SeaFall» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules questions. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yuri Shevchouk
msg tools
When can you store stuff in a warehouse.

Why is there no sell goods symbol at the home provinces. Where can u sell goods?

For the first game after the prologue, when does the game end? When we reach the the set score? Will there be milestones?

What happenes if you run out of advisors to draw?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
proskilzz wrote:
Why is there no sell goods symbol at the home provinces.

Symbol is on the warehouse, on your province board. You can sell goods in your warehouse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Some nits picked:

KoalaXav wrote:
You can transfer goods from your ship to another ship or warehouse at the same (land) site (island or port) at the beginning or end of each ship's movement.

You can sell goods anywhere with a market symbol showing that color of good. All of the province warehouses have a market that can sell all four colors of goods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
proskilzz wrote:
When can you store stuff in a warehouse.

You have an opportunity to transfer goods before and after each ship sails.
Quote:
Why is there no sell goods symbol at the home provinces. Where can u sell goods?

The symbol is on each province card (in the warehouse box), rather than on the map board. You can sell at any market you control (including your home province), or at any neutral market. You can also sell at opponent's markets if you give them a reputation (and they accept).
Quote:
For the first game after the prologue, when does the game end? When we reach the the set score? Will there be milestones?

The first game (and subsequent games, unless a new rule says otherwise) ends at the end of any round (ie, after everyone has played) when any player has reached or passed the target glory for the game. (Mild general unlock spoiler regarding milestones)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Yes, there are new milestones in the unlock boxes. Based on my experience so far, each box has some new milestones, including at least one unlock milestone (to proceed to the next box). I can't say that this is always true, though.

Quote:
What happenes if you run out of advisors to draw?

Nothing. The supply of advisors is limited; if the deck runs out then it runs out (until the next game -- remember each player keeps only one advisor).

Edit: Wow, TRIPLE ninja'd! Whee!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. goods can be traded between ships and warehouses at the beginning OR end of a movement, given they are in the same space and there is land.

2. The 4-good market is located INSIDE your warehouse. This means no-one else can sell goods at your province.

3. The first game you start using the glory track to determine the winner. At the end of a round if anyone has reached/passed the glory marker the highest total wins. The first game will have 3 milestones as indicated by the rules. They are separate from the 4 from the prologue and are marked as such.

4. You can't buy any advisors then! (but really this shouldn't be a common occurrence so don't sweat it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quibbles:
iswearihaveajob wrote:
2. The 4-good market is located INSIDE your warehouse. This means no-one else can sell goods at your province.

Unless they pay you a reputation, and you accept it. When this happens, you can "gain all the benefits and powers present in
one region they control until the end of your turn", which includes the use of the market. Why would they use *your* market instead of their own? Well, if you have (for example) a marketplace (the structure), then it might be worth the reputation to get more gold...
Quote:
3. The first game you start using the glory track to determine the winner. At the end of a round if anyone has reached/passed the glory marker the highest total wins. The first game will have 3 milestones as indicated by the rules. They are separate from the 4 from the prologue and are marked as such.

Four milestones for game 1 (as shown in the rulebook). Five if you include the "First Game" milestone that you resolve at the beginning of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
lactamaeon wrote:
Some nits picked:

KoalaXav wrote:
You can transfer goods from your ship to another ship or warehouse at the same (land) site (island or port) at the beginning or end of each ship's movement.

You can sell goods anywhere with a market symbol showing that color of good. All of the province warehouses have a market that can sell all four colors of goods.

You are right about beginning or end. My bad. Didn't have the board in front of me so didn't remember where the symbol shows.

As for the land site thing, water hexes are not 'sites', and I specifically said island or port. So
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:

As for the land site thing, water hexes are not 'sites', and I specifically said island or port. So :p

I picked the wrong nit. The rules use the term "region" to mean "land space". The term "site" means a specific sublocation of the region (your farms are Province sites, that place where you can buy wood on the first island is an Island site).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
lactamaeon wrote:
KoalaXav wrote:

As for the land site thing, water hexes are not 'sites', and I specifically said island or port. So

I picked the wrong nit. The rules use the term "region" to mean "land space". The term "site" means a specific sublocation of the region (your farms are Province sites, that place where you can buy wood on the first island is an Island site).

Okay fine. But since I did specifically say island or port, your nitpick is still overly nitty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
lactamaeon wrote:
KoalaXav wrote:

Okay fine. But since I did specifically say island or port, your nitpick is still overly nitty.

Counter-counter nitty-gritty-picky (or whatever): Yes and no. "Islands and Ports" are not a complete list of places you are allowed to transfer at. Saying "at a space with land" would probably be better. The rules state "at any region (that is, at land)" which works, too.

(mild and vaguely-worded explanatory spoiler based on box 1)
There may be additional things to discover that may count as land -- thus allowing you to transfer goods in the vicinity -- but aren't islands or ports (or even "sites").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Becq wrote:
KoalaXav wrote:
lactamaeon wrote:
KoalaXav wrote:

Counter-counter nitty-gritty-picky (or whatever): Yes and no. "Islands and Ports" are not a complete list of places you are allowed to transfer at. Saying "at a space with land" would probably be better. The rules state "at any region (that is, at land)" which works, too.

(mild and vaguely-worded explanatory spoiler based on box 1)
There may be additional things to discover that may count as land -- thus allowing you to transfer goods in the vicinity -- but aren't islands or ports (or even "sites").

Fine. I give up. If everyone is going to gang up in me, I will delete the post. Sorry for not beingg clear enough that when I said you can trade at islands and ports I meant you cannot trafe in empty water hexes. I know gamers can be incredibly picky about wording but if this is the thanks I get for trying to help...:arrrharrrharrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thank you Clinton. I understand your dilemma. I think others are nit-picking, not personal attacks, but because the rules in the game have often times been very vague. Everyone wants specific rules because they have such a long term Legacy effect, as opposed to one play games where the next time you play, you just start over.

I guess the most concerning thought I have on this is didn't the play testing reveal these ambiguities?

Those 200 or so play testers on the Welcome Sheet in the game - not one ever discussed these vague kind of rules that set players off on arguments that range from really bad rules to just semantics? How do we write this to avoid confusion?

Discussing the game mechanics and rules while designing is one thing, putting those thoughts into text that new players can clearly understand is a different skill set altogether.
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Howard
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thomasrobb wrote:

I guess the most concerning thought I have on this is didn't the play testing reveal these ambiguities?

Those 200 or so play testers on the Welcome Sheet in the game - not one ever discussed these vague kind of rules that set players off on arguments that range from really bad rules to just semantics? How do we write this to avoid confusion?

It's possible there was a lack of "blind" playtesting. If the playtesters have someone to explain the rules, they're less likely to spot an ambiguity when they read them. I could be wrong, but that's very possibly the case here.

I know of at least one game company that makes sure to do a fair chunk of blind testing just to avoid this - send the game/rules to the testers with no explanation/clarification to see if they can figure it out. If they can't then the rulebook fails the test and clearly needs revision. It's almost certainly an easy step to skip and not realise the issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.