Captain Sonar» Forums » Rules

Subject: Summary of english rules errata from bgg threads rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I was confused by the numerous rules errata discussed on these forums, so I made a list. I find that a few of the extra (not yet official) rules add unsatisfying complication to the game ... what do you think?

Official rules clarifications by designer Lemonnier:
* After a complete area breakdown, you take one damage and erase your whole engineer sheet (source).
* In turn-by-turn mode, each team MUST move and CAN activate 1 system (source).
* In real time mode ... [you] MUST move at least once between two system activations (source).
* You can move 0 spaces when using silence (source).

Questions not yet officially answered:
* Does detonating a mine count as a system activation? (Relevant for answering when this can be performed; not relevant with the current english rules).
* Does detonating a mine require the mine gauge to be filled? Does it require there to be no weapons systems breakdowns on the engineer board? (Current english rules require neither).
* In real time mode, can you activate a system immediately after diving back down from surfacing? (The above rules errata by the designer suggests you must move first).
* In turn-by-turn mode, can you activate a system before moving?
* What happens when a complete area breakdown and a self-repair happen at the same time? What happens when a complete area breakdown and a radiation breakdown happen at the same time?
* When you choose to move 0 spaces with silence, do the engineer and first mate still mark a space on their sheets? (I tend to think the captain should still pick a direction with his thumb for his crew to mark their sheets).

Rules clarifications made by other bgg members (some claim to have spoken to the designers, some claim to be making clarifications based on the french rulebook):
* In turn-by-turn mode, movement happens first, then any system activation (source).
* In turn-by-turn mode, using silence effectively moves you twice in the turn because you move first then activate silence (source).
* Torpedoes destroy archer mines, your own mines, and opponent's mines (source).
* Detonating a mine counts as a system activation, which means only one mine can be detonated at a time between moves and one move must happen between detonating a mine and other system activations (source).
* Detonating a mine requires there to be no weapons systems breakdowns on the engineer board (source).
* When you choose to move 0 spaces with silence, the engineer and first mate do not mark a space on their sheets (source).
* When a complete area breakdown and a self-repair happen at the same time, the self-repair happens first so you don't take damage (source).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Parkinson
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Summary!
Now if we could only get some definitive answers on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matagot Contact
Switzerland
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Official clarifications by Yoann Lemonnier are obviousely correct.

Rules clarifications made by other bgg members are also correct, all of them.

As for the other questions :

Quote:
* Does detonating a mine count as a system activation? (Relevant for answering when this can be performed; not relevant with the current english rules).

Yes. This will be clarified in the new version of the rules.

Quote:
* Does detonating a mine require the mine gauge to be filled? Does it require there to be no weapons systems breakdowns on the engineer board? (Current english rules require neither).

Gauge does not have to be filled, but there musn't be any weapons breakdowns.

Quote:
* In real time mode, can you activate a system immediately after diving back down from surfacing? (The above rules errata by the designer suggests you must move first).

You must move first.

Quote:
* In turn-by-turn mode, can you activate a system before moving?

No. You move first, then you activate a system.

Quote:
* What happens when a complete area breakdown and a self-repair happen at the same time?

Self-repair occurs first. Of course, this one can easily be house ruled if you want to make the game a bit harder

Quote:
What happens when a complete area breakdown and a radiation breakdown happen at the same time?

You take one damage and you erase everything.

Quote:
* When you choose to move 0 spaces with silence, do the engineer and first mate still mark a space on their sheets? (I tend to think the captain should still pick a direction with his thumb for his crew to mark their sheets).

No. If he decides not to move when activating the silence, the captain will make an "O" with his hands, indicating his decision and neither the first mate, nor the engineer will mark anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Thomason
New Zealand
Nelson
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
With the amount of changes from the English manual as written, there's no way it should of been released as is. The team working on translation should of done their job properly or better yet, someone else should of done it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tunguska's CPA
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I figure this is as good of a place to ask as any...

When one sub activates Sonar (real time or turn by turn, though for us it happened in turn by turn), the other sub gives them one true piece of information (row, column, sector) and one false piece of information (row, column, sector, but not repeating the data type).

Does the false piece of information have to be possible?

As in, may I say "Sector 1, column F" or "Sector 1, row 6"? May I give coordinates that end up being an island or other terrain?

I argued that your false information has to be possible (so if you say sector 1, the row or column has to be in that sector. However, I did agree that it was ok to get coordinates that matched an island/terrain's location.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Perry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The two pieces of information can be mutually exclusive. So, in your example, they could point at an island if they're both true. Since only one is true, this still works. They're both possible, they're just mutually exclusive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tunguska's CPA
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kayvon wrote:
The two pieces of information can be mutually exclusive. So, in your example, they could point at an island if they're both true. Since only one is true, this still works. They're both possible, they're just mutually exclusive.

Ok, cool. That's my thoughts on the island/terrain question,too. But you're saying that you could say "Sector 1, row F" or "Sector 1, row 6"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Perry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cervantes3773 wrote:
You could say "Sector 1, row F" or "Sector 1, row 6"?
Yes, that's how I interpret it. What you couldn't say is "Sector 2, Sector 3" because you're required to give two different types of information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yichen Lin
msg tools
Quote:
Quote:
Does detonating a mine count as a system activation? (Relevant for answering when this can be performed; not relevant with the current english rules).

Yes. This will be clarified in the new version of the rules.

Since detonating a mine is a system activation and the rule says you can not detonating a mine during surfacing. Dose it imply that you can active another system during surfacing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Perry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you can't activate systems while surfaced. For clarity, detonating a mine requires a working mine system, but isn't a full system activation; you don't need or use system "energy" check marks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacock
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks to jameskk and his efforts to pull this topic together as well as to Matagot for providing answers. Since the information became a little scattered during the course of the thread I made a more concise and structured Word Doc for myself so I could print it for my own use. I added it to the files section if it would be of any use to anyone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.