$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 67.82

4,739 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
29.9% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Another Descent-2nd question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok Ive found a lot of threads comparing the two and a lot of threads favouring one or the other.... but not so much from anyone who likes/plays both D&D-AS and Descent2

So anyone out there?
I love my 4 D&D boardgames, but I also like the "look" of the Descent2 boards/minis/app
But I dont want to waste money and Descent2 as a compketist costs a lot..

Is there enough variance between the two systems to keep playing both and having fun, or do people always tend to end up favouring one over the other, leaving one system unplayed.

Are they too similar to be worth extra investment?

Would appreciate varied thoughts.
I keep talking myself out of Descent2 only to consider it again a couple of weeks later.

As I have/love the D&D boardgames, its players of those whos opinions Im curious about.

Thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank S
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on my phone so this will have to be brief. I have both systems and they fill 2 different needs. As you, I wouldn't part with the DDAS but for me these are almost entirely for solo play. Though these are also better for one off quick adventures when that's all you want.

Descent is better for narrative and multiplayers, especially when you have a regular group.

So I think the end I think the conflicting 'argument' here is that they are rather different beasts. Not that I've supported either side that well
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the complete collections from both game systems.

At first, I thought Descent 2nd Ed (the base game) superior to the D&D set, and looked at the most obvious things - tactical movement and attacks on the tiles, the attributes of the heroes, a greater depth of play options etc etc.

However, the more I play the D&D system, the more I am beginning to appreciate what it has to offer. While it may not be as "deep" as Descent 2nd Ed, I find that it has more going for it than I initially perceived.

D&D and Descent 2nd Ed are two different games but each has a ton of fun and replayability. I am glad I took the jump and bought into both systems.

D&D is faster (at least for me) but that is not to say it is an inferior sibling to Descent 2nd Ed. As I say, they are different game systems and each system has a lot to offer if one puts the time in. D&D is definitely easier to learn and play but it does have its moments. (It can be quite brutal at times if you take your eye off the ball!)

Of course you can measure D&D up against Descent 2nd Ed and thus highlight its shortcomings against Descent 2nd Ed; I am loathe to do that as they are, for me, two different playing experiences and I enjoy both immensely.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments.

Im a 99% solo gamer so if I bought into Descent2 it woul be using mostly the POD solo scenarios and the new solo app.

So its a case of trying to see if it will offer me something different enough to D&D without killing D&D for me, but without me also thinking Descent2 was too expensive for what it is.

I also have Imperial Assault... so once the solo app is released for that, would I even have a need for Descent2??
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BobSpoons wrote:
Thanks for the comments.

Im a 99% solo gamer so if I bought into Descent2 it woul be using mostly the POD solo scenarios and the new solo app.

So its a case of trying to see if it will offer me something different enough to D&D without killing D&D for me, but without me also thinking Descent2 was too expensive for what it is.

I also have Imperial Assault... so once the solo app is released for that, would I even have a need for Descent2??


I also have Imperial Assault and there is the argument that it is a re-tuned Descent 2nd Ed in a sci-fi/Star Wars setting. Game mechanic wise, it is hard to argue with that.

But ... when I play D&D I get a story that the game system provides and it is definitely different from the story I get from Descent 2nd Ed which in turn gives me a different story from Imperial Assault.

I get totally immersed in all three, have a bucket load of fun with each and in respect of the play experience and stories they give out ... I see each one as distinct.

I have all three and would not part with any of them. (There is so much play in all three that I forsee loads of fun with them all down the next few years).




1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you probably read my comments on other threads

before the Descent app i was an Avid D&D system defender
the app changes everything and now descent is superior

i'm currently all in on both...but i see D&D games getting moved off the shelf lost in the attic soon, maybe keeping temple of elemental around.one offs and keeping them around for the minis along
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you already have all 4 boxed sets, I really see no need to pick up Descent until you are just bored of the D&D board games.

D&D games have campaign systems, huge variety, and extensive amounts of play including downloadable stuff.

Only thing missing that Descent could offer is 1 vs many game play.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferry Van der schans
Netherlands
Ridderkerk
The
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I only own the Castle Ravenloft game. My brother owns Descent 2nd ed.

When I bought Castle Ravenloft I fell in love with it. Eventhough it smacks me in the head and keeps kicking me, even when I am down and out. I love the tense situation and the constant feel of things geting worse and worse. It makes overcomming this a tale which sticks with you.

This feeling is also present in Descent, but I think it is in lesser form. Mainly because of the lack of encountercards. I also think Descent has more bookkeeping and more different rules going on. D&D boardgame is simple and straightforward.

Storywise Descent wins it, as does it win for the looks of the boards. They are colourfull and more decorated compared to the dull and grey dungeontiles of D&D.

For me both have plusses and minusses. I still have a preference for Castle Ravenloft because of the simple gameplay. Fast to setup (which for Descent can take a while), easy to teach, and a blast to play.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
peter cooman
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played all D&D games and descent 2nd edition. I prefer d&d because of the random nature of the board.

Doesn't mean descent is no good, i like it when we play it in a group,but d&d wins out on solo play for me.

I do have a preference for random maps though so i am kind of biased robot
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks everyone.

I think Descent2 is attractive to me for the colourful tiles, varied monsters and the sheer amount of expansions, not to mention the app-solo-play.

But I suspect that the playability of by lovely D&D sets is really the better aspect, so will keep holding off the Descent2 bug

Thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed that if you were to go the whole 9 yards and get all of the Descent series it would cost a pretty penny.

I wonder ... given that you (rightly so) appreciate the D&D set you already have, what about just getting the base game of Descent 2e and using the Kindred Fire campaign alkong with The Delve DLC to get a good taste of Descent 2e? (At least you'd know )
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dougposkitt wrote:
Agreed that if you were to go the whole 9 yards and get all of the Descent series it would cost a pretty penny.

I wonder ... given that you (rightly so) appreciate the D&D set you already have, what about just getting the base game of Descent 2e and using the Kindred Fire campaign alkong with The Delve DLC to get a good taste of Descent 2e? (At least you'd know )


Im obsessive, gotta buy it all
I have considered the partial buy-in yes, but the shinyness of new games can rose-tint your glasses and then youve (well,"Ive") bought it all. So I like to get the clearest view I can that a game is right for me before I take the playtest commitment.



Edit: btw, big bang theory is awesome!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BobSpoons wrote:
dougposkitt wrote:
Agreed that if you were to go the whole 9 yards and get all of the Descent series it would cost a pretty penny.

I wonder ... given that you (rightly so) appreciate the D&D set you already have, what about just getting the base game of Descent 2e and using the Kindred Fire campaign alkong with The Delve DLC to get a good taste of Descent 2e? (At least you'd know )


Im obsessive, gotta buy it all
I have considered the partial buy-in yes, but the shinyness of new games can rose-tint your glasses and then youve (well,"Ive") bought it all. So I like to get the clearest view I can that a game is right for me before I take the playtest commitment.



Edit: btw, big bang theory is awesome!


I know what you mean. I got Descent 2e and Imperial Assault and after having a great time with both, I had - read had - to go out and get all the expansions. I am very happy, though my wallet took to sulking in the corner.

Mind you, there is so much "game" in these sets - D&D,. Descent 2e and SWIA - that I can see these giving me years of play. When I measure it out over a period of years then on a game per pound basis they don't seem too much of a wild buy. (My wallet begs to differ I thin k )

PS Big Bang Theory - awesome is the word. Sharp and witty dialogue/script with a set of actors who fit their roles so well. A work of genius.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dougposkitt wrote:
BobSpoons wrote:
dougposkitt wrote:
Agreed that if you were to go the whole 9 yards and get all of the Descent series it would cost a pretty penny.

I wonder ... given that you (rightly so) appreciate the D&D set you already have, what about just getting the base game of Descent 2e and using the Kindred Fire campaign alkong with The Delve DLC to get a good taste of Descent 2e? (At least you'd know )


Im obsessive, gotta buy it all
I have considered the partial buy-in yes, but the shinyness of new games can rose-tint your glasses and then youve (well,"Ive") bought it all. So I like to get the clearest view I can that a game is right for me before I take the playtest commitment.



Edit: btw, big bang theory is awesome!


I know what you mean. I got Descent 2e and Imperial Assault and after having a great time with both, I had - read had - to go out and get all the expansions. I am very happy, though my wallet took to sulking in the corner.

Mind you, there is so much "game" in these sets - D&D,. Descent 2e and SWIA - that I can see these giving me years of play. When I measure it out over a period of years then on a game per pound basis they don't seem too much of a wild buy. (My wallet begs to differ I thin k )

PS Big Bang Theory - awesome is the word. Sharp and witty dialogue/script with a set of actors who fit their roles so well. A work of genius.



I can understand.
I follow so many games now though that I dont know if I can justify Descent2 for the outlay cost and then keeping up to it.

Big Bang just brilliant. Eveything you said plus as a geek myself I get so many of the in-jokes. Also, while not officially acknowledged, Sheldon is truly awesome as a possitive role-model for the autistic spectrum (see my geek badge for autism awareness). True he is a comedy figure and his differences are made fun of but thats true of all the characters. Its still a fact he is a successful and adored character who is pretty much an autistic spectrum person displayed admirably, which I love.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Cunningham
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Background: My opportunities to play come via three outlets- monthly gaming group of friends, family play and solo play. My gaming group seems stuck in a trend of playing a newly purchased board game each session (in other words, 'enable my purchase history' sessions." Due to this and considering my want for a dungeon delver I researched Descent 2nd vs. D&DAS around three years ago and decided on the latter. Since most of my delving would be with myself only or a younger teen, I decided not to go the Overlord (DM) route and really enjoyed olayeying all the boxes. I loved the tile system and minis and immersion and lamented the lack of improving your characters. This even with the home brewed remedies (including ninjadorgs cards and the changes it ToEE).
Then a bad thing happened, well two actually. First, I got a gift card for my birthday and second, the App for D2 was released. I went for it.
Wow, it takes the cake now. I reluctantly have to say it just may replace D&DAS for me, especially since the addition of the "Delve" expansion which offers unlimited replayability (which is something D&DAS still had an advantage with). Now I have cool minis, great and hidden tiles, a good story but now with character customizations and leveling and a superior tactical experience.
I don't think I could ever get rid of my D&DAS boxes because I have loved playing and painting the minis but when I go to the shelf I can't see picking one of them up over D2 with the app. In fact, now a friend comes over every week to play and it is fun to play it as a DM-lees coop, we are having a blast. To top it off, the app can track my solo progress as well as the progress of my joint venture.
In short, I regret to inform you that I suspect if you took the plunge, you would find the water to your liking.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh dear Im thinking now of Descent2 for Xmas

Need to get some D&D in this weekend to satisfyvthe itch
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BobSpoons wrote:
Oh dear Im thinking now of Descent2 for Xmas


You won't regret it, as it is a very, very good game, (especially with the app and its DLC). You will get great stories unfolding, and a greater degree of options tactically; the only complaint you will hear amidst the tree and the holly will be a low grumbling from your wallet, sulking in the corner. (if so, threaten it with a surge) devil

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BobSpoons wrote:
I think Descent2 is attractive to me for the colourful tiles, varied monsters and the sheer amount of expansions, not to mention the app-solo-play.


What info have you found about the Descent solo app? I'm not finding many comments, and it looks like FFG will be releasing more content. You might also want to look into the fanmade coop variant, and read the reviews of the coop expansions, which can be played solo.

The D&D AS games felt like reveal card, get whacked by monster, attack monster, repeat. Descent felt like it had more to offer, although I mostly played as the Overlord. At least with D&D AS, you can use the mini's for D&D, and there's a Castle Ravenloft D&D version: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/679173/castle-ravenloft-rev...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
BobSpoons wrote:
I think Descent2 is attractive to me for the colourful tiles, varied monsters and the sheer amount of expansions, not to mention the app-solo-play.


What info have you found about the Descent solo app? I'm not finding many comments, and it looks like FFG will be releasing more content. You might also want to look into the fanmade coop variant, and read the reviews of the coop expansions, which can be played solo.

The D&D AS games felt like reveal card, get whacked by monster, attack monster, repeat. Descent felt like it had more to offer, although I mostly played as the Overlord. At least with D&D AS, you can use the mini's for D&D, and there's a Castle Ravenloft D&D version: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/679173/castle-ravenloft-rev...


Lots of threads here discuss thr solo app in either the descent2 forum or the specific road to legend (2nd) forum. Also there is a lot on the ffg official forums if you are wanting to read up on it
A few new downliadable content scenarios for it already exist.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.