Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.nbcnews.com/video/watch-thousands-reenact-200-yea...

I've heard it's common practice for reenactors to aim high or aim low for safety, but seeing those rifles aimed all over the place makes me cringe a little. Guess I'm more OCD then I realized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Maple Ridge
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etien
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"The Day I was Killed on a Civil War Battlefield"

Once, when I was a younger lad, while re-enacting the American Civil War battle of Fredericksburg, I was struck in chest with a "thud". I fell to the ground and opened by wool blue coat to see my white cotton Muslin shirt beneath bloodied. I exclaimed, "I am shot," only to hear the guy laying 10 feet away from me scream back, "So am I."

"No," I say, "I really have been shot." Then I thought, eerily, "How cool it would be to die from being shot on a Civil War (albeit re-enactment) battlefield?" When I was able to open the top of the shirt to peer in to see the mortal wound, I had a half circle cut to the upper chest, diameter no larger than half a penny.

The best I could deduce was that I was hit with a copper primer cap, and after a couple of weeks of bruising, I would be fine. Were those damn Rebs loading their British Enfields with percussion caps?

That incident, I thought, was my penalty as a life-long Southerner for playing a Yankee on a Civil War re-enactor's battlefield. It made great bantor that night at the Civil War camp fire amidst white canvas tents, stacked rifles, and middle-aged/overweight re-enactors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.