Subject: Anyone Else Receive a Damaged Game Box Due To Poor Packing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Khexhu

Plainfield
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
Received mine today and the game box was damaged on two corners (3 ripples on one, 2 ripples worth on the other over the space of a half inch or so indented). It was to be a gift but of course had to open to inspect due to this. Fortunately no components seem to be damaged upon a quick inspection.

I've bought and sold literally thousands of games and what angers me most in these situations is the poor packaging. In this case while the game was wrapped in bubblewrap, the corners were not protected enough and while the game had left to right free room in the shipping box, no padding was put into that space such that the game wouldn't just shift into the corner and back and forth on shipping. Either better wrapping or wadded paper stuck on left and right of the game would have prevented any damage.

I'm curious if others received dinged boxes or if your undamaged game box had packing materials to the left and right of the game box (wadded paper on the left and right vs just underneath)

And do you think I should live with the dings given the components seem to be alright or should I start a Riot with the publisher for poor packing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dizz
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I see what you did there... :]

I'm too much of a pushover, so I won't weigh in on the subject.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Love my girls!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Khexhu wrote:

I've bought and sold literally thousands of games and what angers me most in these situations is the poor packaging.

You must be angry a lot then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Khexhu wrote:

And do you think I should live with the dings given the components seem to be alright or should I start a Riot with the publisher for poor packing?

I suggest you submit a support ticket. Send us pictures and we'll work to make it right with you. I don't want anyone to not be 100% happy with their purchase. That may be an unattainable bar, but that's what we're aiming for.

You're not happy? We'll work to make it right.

Feedback like this also levels us up. We get a better idea of where we fell over so we can work to make it right next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heiser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Mine arrived today as well. Box had very similar packaging to what you described. The front left bottom corner was quite well damaged, as the shipping box looked like it went through quite a rodeo. Only damage to components was on the player characters holding insert, which is cracked on Tristana's side, all the way up. Sad, but still functional. Not too worried, just thought I'd chime in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blame UPS.
Mine was well packed with Styrofoam sheet and large air filled pillows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khexhu

Plainfield
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
jonnylawless wrote:
Khexhu wrote:

I've bought and sold literally thousands of games and what angers me most in these situations is the poor packaging.

You must be angry a lot then.

This is true but I realize angry is probably the wrong word in this case. Disappointed is probably better because its so easily avoided in this example. With BGG users its more often choosing too small a box in the first place. So it can often come across like the seller just didn't give a damn, shoved it in the first box they found and sent it on its way.

It is usually in those cases where I seek remediation. Miniature Market is one where 90% of the time the box comes with almost insanely too good packaging so in the event I get a dinged game from them I always just accept it. CSI takes 4 days to me so their boxes show up as balls but generally there is plenty of peanuts such that everything is still intact. Occasionally they put too few peanuts (rookie mistake) and that allows shifting to the corners and results in dinged products. When you look at Amazon the primary thing they protect against is the shifting of contents with those air packs. Studies apparently showed shifting causes more damage than anything else. Boardgames are a little different though since we don't discard the boxes so I have ok but not perfect results with Amazon as they don't seem to understand this in regards to boardgames.

So by comparison with Mechs vs Minions it seems they cared. The shipping box selection was pretty good (Id probably still have gone a little wider and actually less long). The bottom was well protected, the game was lightly bubble wrapped, but again the space was left empty to sides of game to allow shifting and bouncing to occur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khexhu

Plainfield
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
davemon21 wrote:
Mine arrived today as well. Box had very similar packaging to what you described. The front left bottom corner was quite well damaged, as the shipping box looked like it went through quite a rodeo. Only damage to components was on the player characters holding insert, which is cracked on Tristana's side, all the way up. Sad, but still functional. Not too worried, just thought I'd chime in.

Thanks. I feel better having a damaged box buddy! Sounds like perhaps the packing oversight was common across all US boxes and many if not most will arrive just fine and some, like ours, may arrive a little less so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khexhu

Plainfield
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
Hmmm ok wrote:
I think board gamers are far more concerned with re-selling board games then playing and enjoying them.

The proper analogy is when you buy a new car. Are you concerned with that big scratch on the bumper because it will affect the resell value or is it purely the principle that there is no reason to be receiving one with a large scratch in the first place?

Is it even relevant that you may well end up with someone tapping your car and leaving a scratch eventually anyway or do you still make the dealer take care of the scratch for you or compensate you in some other way?

The car drives just the same and is enjoyable large scratch or no large scratch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Funny you mention this, and Amazon in particular. I won't get my MvM till shipment 2, but I did get this today from Amazon:

So, slim amounts of packing paper on 2 sides only. The bottom left corner was slightly dinged on the outer box (lid), and I'd have been OK with that. But the inner was actually torn right through by the weight of the massive block of cardboard inside the box - it had broken through from the inside and that corner had basically no structural integrity as it was also a join in the cardboard:

Thankfully Amazon are good with returns, so they are collecting it tomorrow and are already sending a replacement.

Anyway... sorry your MvM was damaged, I'm sure Riot will make it good as Chris already promised.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khexhu

Plainfield
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
Riot Kades wrote:
Khexhu wrote:

You're not happy? We'll work to make it right.

Appreciated but I would have opened that ticket already had I really wanted a replacement.

I was more curious if others had similar results (at least 1 other has). Perhaps many more who just similarly accept as-is.

To make me 100% happy and make it right:
1. In the future put something in the box to keep games shifting left/right or to corners (wadded paper, popcorn pellets or air pack).
2. Make additional board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Khexhu wrote:
1. In the future put something in the box to keep games shifting left/right or to corners (wadded paper, popcorn pellets or air pack).

Sounds like Riot made the opposite error from Amazon (on my order above). They protected the item fairly well, but left space for it to shift around (which can mean it gets many small impacts). My Caverna was the opposite - no chance of it shifting but not enough protective thickness and the slightest bump on the outside meant the cardboard inside forced its way out of the inner box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Love my girls!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:
Funny you mention this, and Amazon in particular. I won't get my MvM till shipment 2, but I did get this today from Amazon:

So, slim amounts of packing paper on 2 sides only. The bottom left corner was slightly dinged on the outer box (lid), and I'd have been OK with that. But the inner was actually torn right through by the weight of the massive block of cardboard inside the box - it had broken through from the inside and that corner had basically no structural integrity as it was also a join in the cardboard:

Thankfully Amazon are good with returns, so they are collecting it tomorrow and are already sending a replacement.

Anyway... sorry your MvM was damaged, I'm sure Riot will make it good as Chris already promised.

I'm grateful that people do this. I always snag games from the amazon warehouse deals!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I received my box today, and it too was damaged. It looks like the shipping box was dropped on a corner, and there was not enough packing to cushion the game box. Therefore the corner got smashed. Then when I opened the game, I found the smashed corner was where the box with the surprise in it is located. So that box also had a smashed corner.

Then to make it weird, the seal on the inside box was cut like someone opened the inside box, and then packed everything back up without resealing it. And yes, the outer box was shrink wrapped.

All the internal pieces appear to be fine, and all the envelopes are sealed.

I do not see this as a collectible item, that I expect to go up in value, so the smashed corners don't kill me, but it is a huge bummer for the game to be damaged before I even get to play it.

I will submit a ticket...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bauman
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the way this behemoth was packaged by fulfillment was kind of comical but I got lucky and only got a couple of mildly smooshed corners that my OCD can handle, especially in the context of not looking a gift horse in the mouth ($85 shipped for a $200 game; I think I can deal).

But seriously, putting a little layer of bubble wrap around the box, throwing a couple of wads of paper on the bottom, and leaving a 1/2 inch gap between the flaps... That's just asking for trouble with a game of this weight. I'm lucky it wasn't raining today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Mathew
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
My box was also damaged with a "ripple" on the upper left corner on both the outer an inner box. I'm keeping mine so won't request a return, but this is how it was packed: the game was covered in bubble wrap and was sitting on top of a bunch of crumpled packing paper. However there was nothing protecting the top or sides to keep the corners from banging into things when sliding from left to right. Mine shipped to Rhode Island USA and I had number 5,752 of 30,000. Everything inside appears to be perfect. One bad corner is no big deal for me since I'm not giving as a gift. This game rocks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
jonnylawless wrote:
I'm grateful that people do this. I always snag games from the amazon warehouse deals!

I don't wish to derail with a mostly irrelevant issue (guess I just felt the need to share with someone, it's always disappointing so I'm sympathising with you guys!) but I actually would probably have accepted a partial refund if they had offered it. Or if they could just send an empty inner box. But the only option I had was to refund or replace.

So, hopefully someone else will get the item at a bargain rate, even though it's now out of the shrink wrap. The box could probably be reinforced and fixed up to do its job, I just didn't see why I should have to do that without a refund or price reduction.

Anyway, consider it another example for Riot on how not to package board games. I do sympathise with sellers trying to package board games; they are heavy, have vulnerable corners, and board gamers are a fickle bunch who like their games to be pristine. Which includes the boxes because those are our storage system, and they tend to be proudly displayed for all to see.

Sorry for the derail.... maybe Riot can replace just the damaged boxes? Might be cheaper to ship. It seems thanks to the inserts the components are undamaged in the cases mentioned in this thread?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I received mine last week.

Packaged and shipped perfectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tucker
msg tools
Mine seems 100% a ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
mbmb
bjx25 wrote:
My box was also damaged with a "ripple" on the upper left corner on both the outer an inner box. I'm keeping mine so won't request a return, but this is how it was packed: the game was covered in bubble wrap and was sitting on top of a bunch of crumpled packing paper. However there was nothing protecting the top or sides to keep the corners from banging into things when sliding from left to right. Mine shipped to Rhode Island USA and I had number 5,752 of 30,000. Everything inside appears to be perfect. One bad corner is no big deal for me since I'm not giving as a gift. This game rocks!

I just got mine today. Came home from work and the box was on my doorstep. Jeez this game is YUGE! I'm #5756. Box and packaging is in perfect condition. I also like how the logo on the top of the box is embossed. The attention to detail is mindblowing. Looking forward to playing it! Thanks Rito!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dong
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Khexhu you are not alone.

I preface the following with – I know it is only a game and barely registers on the life importance scale.

I received my copy today and it was an emotional roller coaster. It was a relief to finally get my copy delivered today after seeing that it had arrive in my city at 4am on Saturday. I was available all weekend to play MvM if UPS was nice and delivered it then. My expectations were raised by BGG Forum posts praising the superior secure packaging of the MvM box within the shipping box. My heart sank quite a bit as I brought the box in from the porch and felt and heard the MvM box freely sliding around in the shipping box. Upon opening the box with trepidation I saw the double bubble wrapped MvM box sitting on a thick layer of crumpled paper and that was it. No side or top packing or protection. Well it is what it is. My sprits rose as there was no obvious crush damage, but what about under the bubble wrap? A mixed bag – multiple corner and edge dings, but none of them glaringly obvious. The box was not pristine, but considering the potential damage that could have been, it came out ok. I am happy. Inside the box no damage, but as has been mentioned on a previous thread the Minions not covered by a tray lid of their own were liberated from their resting places, not damaged, just doing their own thing.

Am I dissatisfied? Not at all. There will be no ticket coming from me. Am I at 100% satisfaction? How about 95% satisfaction, -2% for the packaging, -2% for the dings, and -1% for sending me game #8323 and not #1.

How could Riot Games make me 100% satisfied? I will modify Khexhu’s answer. For the US games shipped in the future:
1. Keep double bubble wrapping the MvM box
2. Put packing around the sides to prevent shifting/sliding and protect from shipping box crunches.
3. Add packing to protect the top from those shipping box crunches
4. Add Corner protection, although 2 & 3 may be sufficient.
5. Make additional board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine arrived safe with no damage, but I was surprised by the (IMO) poor packing and considered myself lucky. The outer box it shipped in was crushed in a decent amount on top due to the lack of filling to pad it out. I mean we DID only pay $5, but I would have preferred to pay a little more if it meant a better packing job such as peanuts or air packs to create some structual integrity. Wrapping something that big in a thin layer of bubble wrap and throwing it in a big box like that is just asking for trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Penny
Australia
Greenslopes
Queensland
flag msg tools
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
staahhp it guys

I'm waiting for it to come to me in Australia.

all these posts are making me nervous for my little box of goodies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:

The annoying part is that it may be cheaper to cost-cut on the packaging, despite increases in returns or replacements. Amazon used to wrap books in protective packaging within a box, but, now, they're putting them loose in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian J.
msg tools
There seems to be a difference in packaging between the two warehouses.

The european order are packaged very well. The Games is wrapped in bubbewrap and sits on a slab of polystyrene. The remaining empty space is filled with air pouches.

I wonder why they didnt went with this in the US Warehouse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.