$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 87.7

5,756 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
36.3% of Goal | 26 Days Left

Support:

Anders Jensen
msg tools
The old game of courier chess inspired me create a new version of chess.

www.facebook.com/elsborgscourierchess

This game is thought as a funnier way to use a courier chess set than the original way.

Even I have called this game Elsborg's courier chess because ( my middle name is Elsborg ) and I have been inspired by a courier chess set. This chess variant is much closer to modern chess than courier chess.

with some exceptions this game have the same rules as common chess see the rules here: https://www.fide.com/component/handbook/?id=124&view=article

The opening setup is as follows:
White:
King g1; Queen f1; Rook a1, l1; Knight b1, k1; Bishop c1, j1; Runner d1, i1; Princess e1; Prince h1; Pawn a2, b2, c2, d2, e2, f2, g2, h2, i2, j2, k2, l2

Black:
King g8; Queen f8; Rook a8, l8; Knight b8, k8; Bishop c8, j8; Runner d8, i8; Princess e8; Prince h8; Pawn a7, b7, c7, d7, e7, f7, g7, h7, i7, j7, k7, l7

Movement of pieces

The king, queen, rook, and knight move as in the orthodox FIDE chess game.

The runner moves as the bishop in the orthodox FIDE chess game.

The pawns move like in the orthodox FIDE chess game, except than they can be promoted to any type of piece that is used in this chess variant ( except king of course )

The princess moves like a queen when it don't capture, but it can only capture pieces that are one square away from it.

The prince moves like a king when it don't capture. But it is able to capture like a queen.

The bishop as the runner ends it move on a square that is on the same diagonal as the square where it started it's move, and only the size of board limits how long it can move. The diffence from the runner is how it reaches the square it moves to, and therefore how it can be blocked.

To reach it's goal the bishop must in one move do the following: Go any number of squares orthogonally then turn it's direction 90 degrees and go the same number of squares in the new direction so that ends on a square on the same diagonal as where it's move started.

The bishops way of moving gives it two routes two its destination square. For example if white want's to move his bishop from c1 to e3 at least one of these two conditions must occur either all the squares c2,c3 and e3 have to be empty, or all the squares d1,e1 and e2 have to be empty. It doesn't matter if the square d2 is occupied.

Castling: White can castle kingside by moving his king to k1 and then ind same move move his rook on l1 to j1. Black can castle similar way on the 8th rank.

White can castle queenside my moving his king to c1 and his rook on a1 to d1. Black can castle similar way on the 8th rank.

( Personally I suggest play with out the 50 move rule or to make it a 100 move rule )

ABOUT MY THOUGHTS WHEN MADE THE RULES

Like there are people who are interested in the old days and even enjoy for while try to live like people did in the old days. I find historical chessgames like shatranj and courier chess interestering, but I generally I think the modern times are better than the ancient times also regarding chess.

The things I think make the courier chess inferior to moderne are 1) the weak movement of the queen, it’s orthogonal counterpart called schleich or sneak, smuggler, spy, or fool or trülle. and the bishops. ( Such weak pieces should come in bigger numbers to be great, I think ).
2 ) That the pawns only can promote to a very weak piece which make it impossible to win with a king and pawn against king. That the piece that look’s like a little queen is stronger than the queen.

The question was what to do about it. Of course I missed modern the queen so it was a pretty easy decide giving the queen it’s modern power.

The courier chess set that has inspired me is of the type shown on http://courierchess.com/ which has been inspired by a painting called "the chessplayers" made by the Dutchman Lucas van Leyden in 1508.
The names of pieces I call princess and prince are inspired by the way their look and the ways they move are inspired by their names. The piece I call princess is the one that in the original game is called moves like a king and is called different names f.ex. man or sage or rath. I think it looks like a little queen and because of that i found it naturally to name it princess. The princess is looking up to her mother and imitating her way of moving, but she is not yet so strong and there for she can’t capture over long distance. Similar with the Prince. The piece i call prince is in my opinion looking like a little king. It was easy to get the idea to let the prince move the opposite of the princess. I think of it that way that the prince is lazy and arrogant and only want move like a king unless there is really something ( a piece to be captured ) to move for. Then he has the will and power of youth to move long and fast.

Courier chess is the game where the modern bishop called courier meet the old bishop. The fact that courier chess has a piece that moves like a bishop, but is neither called a bishop and in diagrams not shown as a bishop and piece that is both called a bishop and often is shown like a bishop is both odd, fun and maybe the soul of courier chess. For this reason I wanted to keep some bishopness in the bishop without making it exactly like or in every case worse or in every case better than the runner. I think I found an exciting solution. For some reason I have not seen a piece who moves like this kind of bishop before.

The readers that are familiar with nordic or german language will quickly realize why I have called the courier a runner. It is the direct translation of Danish word “løber” which is the word Danish speaking people use for piece that English speaking people call bishop. It is my vision that the runner in any language shall be called a word meaning “some one that runs” and bishop shall be called the direct translation of bishop in any language..

You are welcome to ask or note me if I have not made myself clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shouldn't you have given the pope the jet pack?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
You can create a "duplicate thread" about this within there for better viewers responses: Abstract Games <-RIGHT 'click' LINK open. Then just "quote yours" here and place it ANEW into that also. There is no easily FOUND way of locating the "Subdomains Forums" within the BGG Forums about these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Klein
Israel
Tel Aviv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the Prince and Princess pieces, and would enjoy using them. The new Bishop is also nifty, but can be slower to become useful, and hence less fun.
Hopefully Jeremy Lennert will add them to another expansion for For the Crown (Second edition) with some nifty card abilities to boot, cause I don't really play other chess variants since that one exists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
So, you're also a 'fan' for BOTH kinds of 'music'! "Country & Western" whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:

Syntactically, this might be the easiest thing to understand I've ever seen you post. But contextually..... I've got no idea where you're coming from with this.

wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
GROGnads wrote:
TIM0THY wrote:

Syntactically, this might be the easiest thing to understand I've ever seen you post. But contextually..... I've got no idea where you're coming from with this.

wow
She played either Chess, or with that one lone Variant indicated as 'choices' for BOTH "kinds", similarly akin of 'musical genre' indicative as thus!
whistle Is she 'denying' THAT, yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
momo nogal
msg tools
Anders,
I found this thread while googling "Courier Chess". Following your request in a similar thread on ZoG's site, I had already posted a working version of your game there two days ago (well, mostly working: the engine ignores the draw-by-repetition rule, as any action is monitored by the 50-move rule, and counts as a new, different move -since its result is displayed
and can never be identically reproduced in any sequence of repeating moves.)

(I thought you named your Runner after the baseball player, so I gave back the piece the moves you gave your Bishop. Sorry about that. The mistake can easily be repared in the .ZRF file.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.