Hero Realms» Forums » Rules

Subject: Timing Conflicts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, hero realms is very very easy to learn and it has very very easy rules. If you visit the rules forum here for the first time and you see all the threads (most of them are from me)... I am kinda paranoid and I ask a lot of questions to understand each particular situation which could appear in a match.

Now my questions:

1. The guild has a lot of deck manipulation cards.
What if I play...
Card A: Put the next card you acquire on top of your deck
Then Card B: Put the next card you acquire into your hand
After that I acquire 2 card, what happens?

The effect of card B overwrites the effect of card A and the first card I acquire is put into my hand, the second card is put into my discard pile.

OR

A queque is started and first the effect of card A takes place then the effect of card B.

2. I may activate the ally ability (if possible) or expend ability of a card anytime during my turn. What if I play a card which has an effect (text) that is not part of the ally/expend mechanic, does it immediately takes place or may I play the card and activate the effect of the card at a later time like it's possible with expend/ally effects?

3. The magic item of the wizard (spellbook) lets you acquire an action card of cost 3 or less and after this text there is a second line: Draw a card.
If there are no action cards of cost 3 or less, I will only draw the card.
What if I buy some cards after I've drawn the card and an action card of cost 3 or less appears in the market, may I use the other half of the magic item later and get the action card for free?

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know the answer, but you could get both effects by purchasing a card between the first two cards of the first item.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
In the App for Star Realms, I believe they stack, so if it says you can put the next card you acquire on top of your deck, and you play that twice, you get to do it twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markblasco wrote:
In the App for Star Realms, I believe they stack, so if it says you can put the next card you acquire on top of your deck, and you play that twice, you get to do it twice.

I know that those effects stack in the app but I still wanted to ask this question because for example ally abilities are automatically activated in the app although it can be much more usefull to wait (sometimes) which is valid but the app doesn't care.

Example: You have bases in play and they let you draw cards therefore your discard pile could disappear and the cards in your hand which let you scrap cards are wasted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the Hero Realms rules, but I assume that they are the same core rules as Star Realms, the answers would be:

1. If you have both effects in play, the first time you buy a card, you choose one effect to happen. The other effect will happen for the next card you buy.

2. I assume that you mean the primary ability of a non-champion card. Those happen immediately when you play the card out. You cannot do anything between when you play that card and when you resolve the ability.

3. All abilities are indivisible and best effort. Once you choose to use and ability, you have to do as much of it as you can (you cannot acquire a card that is not there) in the order written on the cards, but once you have finished resolving it, it is used up and cannot be used again this turn. The exceptions are preparing a champion, which will allow you to use the expend ability again, and gold and combat, both of which go into pools to be used later on this turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markblasco wrote:

Not only that, but we got an official answer somewhere in the forums, that they stack IRL too. I still think it's a bad decision because this is contrary to anything that's in the rules or in the wording of the cards, (granted it makes sense with the autoactivations of the app) but it mostly doesn't make a difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wallwaster wrote:
markblasco wrote:

Not only that, but we got an official answer somewhere in the forums, that they stack IRL too. I still think it's a bad decision because this is contrary to anything that's in the rules or in the wording of the cards, (granted it makes sense with the autoactivations of the app) but it mostly doesn't make a difference.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1642377/rules-question-abou...

I wouldn't have expected that you may choose the order of the effects.
Thank you for the hint to search it in the star realms forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThinkingThatsAll wrote:
2. I assume that you mean the primary ability of a non-champion card. Those happen immediately when you play the card out. You cannot do anything between when you play that card and when you resolve the ability.

3. All abilities are indivisible and best effort. Once you choose to use and ability, you have to do as much of it as you can (you cannot acquire a card that is not there) in the order written on the cards, but once you have finished resolving it, it is used up and cannot be used again this turn. The exceptions are preparing a champion, which will allow you to use the expend ability again, and gold and combat, both of which go into pools to be used later on this turn.

I asked this question because in the star realms app ships exist which let you destroy a base "you may destroy target base" and you habe to apply all effects of the card at the moment it's played but you may use the destroy effect at a later moment if I remember it correctly and the card still glows. Another example scrap effects of ships which stay in play but a part of the main effect is used at a later time. I thin the syntax is always "You may...". I am not talking about ally abilities or such effects which lets you sacrifice the card, just main effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger the Alien wrote:
ThinkingThatsAll wrote:

I asked this question because in the star realms app ships exist which let you destroy a base "you may destroy target base" and you habe to apply all effects of the card at the moment it's played but you may use the destroy effect at a later moment if I remember it correctly and the card still glows. Another example scrap effects of ships which stay in play but a part of the main effect is used at a later time. I thin the syntax is always "You may...". I am not talking about ally abilities or such effects which lets you sacrifice the card, just main effects.

I think you remember incorrectly. It is definitely not the case in Star Realms that you can use a main ability of a ship way after playing it. The ship that I am talking about, Missile Mech makes you destroy a base when you play it or not at all. There was even a big argument when the game was new if you could use the damage the ship provided on it to destroy an outpost so you can get to a a regular base that it is protecting (you cannot). You may be confusing it with Command Ship, which has base destruction as an Ally ability.

Same thing with scrap. Trade, Missile, and Supply Bots all make you scrap a card the moment that you play them. Patrol Mech lets you scrap a card later, but that is an ally ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are right. I will check it if I am back in germany the next days. Thank you very much for the support/answers.
I shouldn't go into detail if I have no possibility to check the cards.

*HUGS THE COMMUNITY*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.