Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the new FFG pricing policy increased the prices of their games at online stores, it kind of motivated me to go check out some of my local game stores (including CCG and comic stores that had a game selection) and maybe start buying my LOTR and future AH LCG decks from them. I know the price increase was pretty trivial on the LCG decks but it was also a good excuse to visit the local stores (that I usually don't visit often due distance or limited hours) every couple of months to buy a few decks.

Also, I was looking for a store that might have a Fellowship event, since I was getting back into the game after a long break.

And I had no luck finding anything for LOTR LCG out of four stores (one comic, one gaming, B&N, and one really small comic/ccg/gaming store hybrid that is stuffed with stuff). I have a few more stores 40-60 mins away I could try but not expecting much.

The gaming store owner said he stocked it at release and it initially sold well but it wasn't long before it stopped selling. He said he would never carry it again as it just didn't sell fast enough and they needed to stock what moved. They did sell the non-coop LCGs but only the most recent decks, which sold due to players needing to keep current. He felt that since LOTR players could move at their own pace on the meta lots of gamers fell behind and would only look for the expansions long after they were released. He also wasn't sure he would get the AH LCG for the same reasons.

Still we know this game sells well for FFG. I am curious if my game stores are just odd or is the reality is this type of game really only sells online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Ft. Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two FLGS in my city. The smaller one follows your described pattern (lots of new LCG, very few of older LCG). Almost all of the LotR stock are from the most most recent expansion cycle.

I suspect it's even worse for the reprints. The majority of gamers interested in a given LCG make their purchases as they come out. People getting into the game at a later date are few and far between. No FLGS wants to get caught with old unsold reprint stock. It's a much safer bet to only stock the very newest expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My nearest store does not carry it at all. I was in the big smoke the other day and checked a few of the stores there specifically for LotR LCG.
One store had a single Grey Havens. That was it. "Our group isn't in to it"
This seems to be a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy to me.

As a late starter - still on core, I am despairing of getting the early expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Brown
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep! My FLGS stocks everything which is currently in print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Burbidge
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two of my local game stores carry it. One carries the last couple cycles. One caries everything in print, including ALL the nightmare decks. I'm not caught up on nightmare, so this will be a problem with my piggy bank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The two closest FLGS's to me both stock a decent selection of LOTR alongside the other FFG LCGs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C D

Dallas
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
neither of The two near me that i've visited carry it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My store carries the core and keeps it in stock, only keeps Netrunner expansions up to date on the shelves. I order all the LOTR expansions in through him directly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nigel is in Wellington, and i'm up in Auckland, where no one stocks Lotr LCG unless i chase them down for it

i've really been considering signing up for the Team Covenant subscription cos it'd only be slightly more expensive and much more convenient

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have they given you a shipping estimate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BathTubNZ wrote:
they do when i ask them about a pack and PP actually has it 'it'll be like... a week... or maybe two? it's pixelpark'

but i did ask them to get the Fellowship quest this year and never heard back if they even ordered it

i haven't heard anything for a while actually, and haven't seen the packs in Pixelpark either, so who knows what's going on. i feel like i'm the only person in Auckland still playing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I meant TC. I've often wondered about a subscription.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My local store gets them in, but only because I asked them to. Most of the larger game stores I've been to in Texas seem to carry quite a bit of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose it is not fair for me, but since my main game store in the area is the Fantasy Flight Event Center, yeah they have everything LotR LCG that I could possibly want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My local store carries it almost based on the last sale of the core game. IF one of those sells, then as each cycle is reprinted then one "set" of it is ordered, The also carry 2-3 sets of the later cycles but they seems to be ordered once the cycle is completed or close to completed so you can get the whole thing, They carry the Saga expansions regularly, They also stock a lot of FFG in general so it might be a distribution deal that keeps them with a steady stream of it all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Dortch
United States
Sparta
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is only one FLGS in my area and all they carry is a few board games and Magic. Tons and tons of Magic. They keep a core Android Netrunner set in stock. But that's it for LCGS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BathTubNZ wrote:
I meant TC. I've often wondered about a subscription.
ah yeah, they gave me one. i can post to you in PM if you want specifics, but the main reason i haven't yet is, as an international buyer, they want you to pay for 6 packs of shipping up front with the first pack, then just pay for the next 5 packs when they release

all shipping for boxes is charged when the box releases

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dr00 wrote:
BathTubNZ wrote:
they do when i ask them about a pack and PP actually has it 'it'll be like... a week... or maybe two? it's pixelpark'

but i did ask them to get the Fellowship quest this year and never heard back if they even ordered it

i haven't heard anything for a while actually, and haven't seen the packs in Pixelpark either, so who knows what's going on. i feel like i'm the only person in Auckland still playing
I still have good intentions of continuing to play I stopped buying the packs at the beginning of the cycle as I was already way behind on unplayed quests.

I can understand why a lot of stores don't keep stock on hand (other than core sets). In most areas it's a very small target market, and there are so many different expansions that it's pretty much impossible for a store to predict and selectively purchase which ones are likely to sell to random people going into the store, unless the staff happen to be very familiar with the game. So they can end up with lots of stock sitting on the shelf for a long time - like our local store did at one point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teage Watson
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My local store has a pretty small market for LotR, but the owners are great people. The arrangement that we have with both LotR and Star Wars is I tell them which cycles and they order it and they are usually in within a week or two. Then I buy them one or two packs at a time over the following few weeks.

This has been a great arrangement because they can put them out on the shelf and if someone else wants it in the mean time he just orders another one. I think this works best because he knows 100% it is going to sell within a month or two. There is less risk for him and it takes the pressure off me to drop the money for a whole cycle at once.

We did the same with the 2-player play mats for Star Wars, Netrunner, and Game of Thrones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two of the stores in my vincinity have the game stocked pretty well, usually.

It's a little different, though, since both are "flagship stores" for the FFG exclusive distributer in germany, which means they have a standing arrangement with them to have a lot of their stuff on the shelves in return for special deals and such.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Smith
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My FLGS doesn't stock it much either, I've only occasionally seen the odd adventure pack (always one I had already or wasn't interested in), so I've always had to buy packs online. They have a pretty good selection of games but they've never had much LOTR LCG stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wall
Australia
Forest Lake
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
One or two do, extremely haphazardly. And it's always a random expansion or adventure pack. I have never once seen the Core Set in a physical store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules
msg tools
mb
I have generally found that FLGSs do not carry much LOTR LCG simply because, as mentioned above, they can't guarantee they will sell. However, every FLGS that I have asked about it has offered to order it for me. This is probably your best bet.

As one of the other people who responded mentioned, you can always make deals with FLGS. It is in their best interest to make such a deal as then they get your business instead of an online store, and it makes it so that you can support a local game store and help keep it in business for in person events that you can't get from online stores. If you care about that, that is. I do! So I suggest picking a FLGS that you like near you, and try and broker a deal about getting expansions and such

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lordson Yen
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly same here at where I am, it's a good game, but FLGS don't stock at all, they have some core sets lying around, but the packs are random.

A few i know who are consistently playing buys from online and ship it here.

It's a shame, cause i just started and now figuring how to get cycles pack in order without burning the wallet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arianese wrote:
I have generally found that FLGSs do not carry much LOTR LCG simply because, as mentioned above, they can't guarantee they will sell. However, every FLGS that I have asked about it has offered to order it for me. This is probably your best bet.

As one of the other people who responded mentioned, you can always make deals with FLGS. It is in their best interest to make such a deal as then they get your business instead of an online store, and it makes it so that you can support a local game store and help keep it in business for in person events that you can't get from online stores. If you care about that, that is. I do! So I suggest picking a FLGS that you like near you, and try and broker a deal about getting expansions and such

I know I can get them to order it for me but I am probably a poor customer for a LGS. I get interested in games well after they have been on the market. I am rarely buying what is new. I just don't have the free time to go to store events and honestly the one store that probably would order them for me is just far enough out of my usual area to not make it worth it. In general the LGS don't seem to carry the games I like, so that driving to them looking for a specific title usually results in disappointment for me.

Just easier to buy online for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.