Hide
10 Posts

Dune» Forums » Strategy

Subject: New Player introduced new Bene tactic rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tal seaman
msg tools
We had a new player at the board, who was playing their 2nd game ever and played the Bene for her first time.

She cut a deal with Atreides to pay 1 spice to be notified when the card currently up for bid was worthless. The atreides player was poor as a church mouse and short on spice as Fremen had been stomping hard on every spice blow.

When Atreides told Bene of the worthless card on the auction block, Bene paid and promptly told all other playeres, and then bought each of the cards for 1 spice as no other player wanted to bid on them. Frankly most players were glad to let the Bene purchase the worthless card so that they didn't waste any of their spice or clog up their hand. the witch bought a card a turn for 4 turns

then it happened......
The witch cancelled the guilds ability to move last, cancelled Atreides ability to see battle plan element, cancelled the Emperors sudakkar bonus during a battle, and cancelled the Fremens ability to survive a worm....all were major game changers.

Wow....what a display. Great Bene tactic...because a poor atreides is likely to sell the knowledge of worthless card and other players are not likely to purchase the card once the word is out. Leave it to the newbies to put a fresh face on the play.

It was a fun game.
tal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O.Shane Balloun
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
I will play as the Atreides, Bene Gesserit, Emperor, Fremen, Guild, or Harkonnen.
badge
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
mbmbmbmbmb
tseaman wrote:
When Atreides told Bene of the worthless card on the auction block, Bene paid and promptly told all other playeres, and then bought each of the cards for 1 spice as no other player wanted to bid on them. Frankly most players were glad to let the Bene purchase the worthless card so that they didn't waste any of their spice or clog up their hand. the witch bought a card a turn for 4 turns

These were inexperienced players to allow this to happen. There's no way I wouldn't have colluded with the others at this point to ensure we bought every single worthless card available.

The worthless=karama power is exceptionally difficult to deal with if the BG has multiple worthless cards in her hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
grammatoncleric wrote:
tseaman wrote:

These were inexperienced players to allow this to happen. There's no way I wouldn't have colluded with the others at this point to ensure we bought every single worthless card available.

The worthless=karama power is exceptionally difficult to deal with if the BG has multiple worthless cards in her hand.

Agreed. Harkonnen should be encouraged to pick them up - after all they get a second card, and with a Karama can dump a fistful of junk onto some poor dupe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Reinert
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Interesting. We have always played that BG could only do this once. Allowing BG to potentially get 6 Karama cards is huge.I might have to bump my estimation of BG's strength as a player up a notch if they can use that ability more than once.
Harknonen could and should buy those cards if he has a Karama card of his own, but I wouldn't want to fill my hand up with crap, unless I was sure I could dump them on someone else.
Nice strategy, although depending on who is playing Atreides you can usually tell a worthless card by how much Atreides bids. And 1 spice isn't much. Not likely to help poor Atreides at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's always nice to have a worthless card on hand as BG to possibly tip a key battle. But my question would be -- did your BG player actually win doing this? I would say that buying nothing but worthless cards and just messing with other people is more of a big nuisance than a real terror, unless BG is using those cancels in very specific ways to win battles that win the game (or guide a prediction, possibly?)

So first, as BG, I wouldn't go crazy buying worthless cards, but 1 or 2 at the right time(s) *can* be really powerful.

Second, I agree that if everyone knows the BG is particularly itching to get a worthless card, it only takes a bid or two to either take it away from them (quite a sacrifice for the buying player, unless it's Harkonnen!), or at least bid it up to drain their cash. (BG are usually operating on a shoestring budget anyway, so buying 1 card for 4 spice frequently means they're not doing much else that turn...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Reinert
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Good point Brad. I will say that a Karama card for BG could have some big implications if they have a weapon and defense already. It might be worth 4 spice to get one depending on their game plan. Being able to ship at Guild rate and not have to pay the Guild could be the difference in winning or losing against Guild. Then again, having Guild move first before you could accomplish the same thing. Especially if most everyone else has already moved. Ok now I got to get the guys together an play again. Too busy this month to do it, but firt thing come November.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmb
The ability to also stop a bid for a card and instantly win it is also quite powerful, the Bene are easily the most powerful faction if they can overcome their lack of spice. The worthless cards help the bene get the treachery cards they need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tal seaman
msg tools
Good points.....This kicked in T2 or T3 when Emperor and Guild already had a fist full of cards.

Bene won in T9 with an alliance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tal seaman
msg tools
Knowlingly bidding on a worthless card or trying to convince others to do so and pay good spice for the privilege is easier said then done.
I would expect this is the kind of Bene tactic that works once in a while and not every game....people have to forget the pain / game changing events that can be inflicted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Reinert
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
If I am Harkonnen and I have a Karama card I would try to outbid the BG for it. Heck, if I am Harkonen with a Karama card I might use the idea myself. Sure I might have to contend with BG, but they are not ikely to outbid me, and I get an extra card. The best Karama card use in my opinion is trading your worthless cards for another player's. What could be better or more fun?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.