Terraforming Mars» Forums » General

Subject: General feel, confused!? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Siyano Fisher
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
After my first game, I was still confused, still didn't really understood what was all that board building all about and most card or action were feeling empty and were just, oh I have X or Y more per turn, no "ressource" felt impactful enough. Maybe it was a bad first try but I just didn't get it, most of the game I was just choosing card almost randomly and finished the game less than 20 or so point behing the first, maybe the randomness of the card or the direct impact of a card was not sometimes big enough, or this concept of just building bigger and bigger cogs that doesn't seem to matter if you choose more of greens or heat, both give the same points...

Anyway, maybe I need to give another go and try harder

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao F. Falaschi
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
In this city there are those who'd live alone. Twilight brings them from the gloom into our homes. And hiding there among the wreckage left behind. They see things that aren't there when they close their eyes
mbmbmbmbmb
Give it another go AND try harder. The game is awesome, very intuitive and has a great sense of progression.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Siyano wrote:
After my first game, I was still confused, still didn't really understood what was all that board building all about and most card or action were feeling empty and were just, oh I have X or Y more per turn, no "ressource" felt impactful enough. Maybe it was a bad first try but I just didn't get it, most of the game I was just choosing card almost randomly and finished the game less than 20 or so point behing the first, maybe the randomness of the card or the direct impact of a card was not sometimes big enough, or this concept of just building bigger and bigger cogs that doesn't seem to matter if you choose more of greens or heat, both give the same points...

Anyway, maybe I need to give another go and try harder

Or you might sell it right away for twice its price. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boehm
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try it with the draft variant. That removes a lot of ramdomness and you can plan better.
Buildung green tiles is the strongest strategy because you get 3 points for each tile when it's placed close to a city (1 for the oxygen, 1 for the tile, 1 for the city). But there are other cool strategies, believe me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well I don't really know what to tell you. If you're deciding on which cards to get "almost randomly" and see no difference between temperature increase and greenery placement, that certainly indicates most important aspects of the game haven't "clicked" with you yet.

I'll say the game is top of The Hotness for a reason, and certainly worth another try. Play with the drafting variant next time if the randomness of the regular 4 card draw bothered you.

On the other hand tho, if you're not "feeling it", then maybe TM just isn't for you. It happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Chaney

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll suggest the possibility that you were dealt cards that didn't form any observed synergies. On your first play, you won't know what other cards are in the game, and even after one non-drafting play you have only seen a small portion of the cards. If strategies didn't suggest themselves, and you didn't find yourself thinking "if I'd only kept that OTHER card" or wishing for a particular type of effect to come into your hand, you may have just drawn a splattering of cards that didn't work together.

In two of my plays, I didn't feel like I was getting cards that could leverage anything. I lost both games badly. In other games, there were some obvious powerful combinations. I like the ability to plan a strategy coupled with the necessity to adjust to shifting conditions. This latter character seems to be (and I hope is) the dominant experience playing the game, but there is a significant chance you'll have bad draw. That's frustrating, but hopefully you can enjoy doing what you can --- and having more of a social experience with other players in those cases.

I'll observe that a 20 point loss isn't small. If the final score was 65 to 45 for example, that means the winner gained 45 to your 25 since you begin with 20 each. If your best choices were really random card picks, that's no surprise. Give it another try. Drafting will help.

Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siyano Fisher
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
game was 2 player and finished around 110 point.
About the "randomness" of card, is I think I saw quite some card, like 60 of them in the game, and very few made "combo". Even after the game I looked through the deck, I havent saw much, most card were just "bland" in a sense, were it was mostly all around 10M credits to get +1-2 something, some few select had combo, but felt like it didnt really matter.
Anyway, didn't really clicked with me with the first game, felt mostly all thrown around and optimization and micromanagement where in 20-25 built cards the few + were hard to see there impact. The scheme maybe seemed way too much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao F. Falaschi
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
In this city there are those who'd live alone. Twilight brings them from the gloom into our homes. And hiding there among the wreckage left behind. They see things that aren't there when they close their eyes
mbmbmbmbmb
Siyano wrote:
game was 2 player and finished around 110 point.
About the "randomness" of card, is I think I saw quite some card, like 60 of them in the game, and very few made "combo". Even after the game I looked through the deck, I havent saw much, most card were just "bland" in a sense, were it was mostly all around 10M credits to get +1-2 something, some few select had combo, but felt like it didnt really matter.
Anyway, didn't really clicked with me with the first game, felt mostly all thrown around and optimization and micromanagement where in 20-25 built cards the few + were hard to see there impact. The scheme maybe seemed way too much

Sell it! You will find plenty of people interested in buying this "bland" game and you can make some good money with it. Everybody wins!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Anderson
Canada
Edmonton
flag msg tools
I can freely admit that after my firt game I may have had some similar thoughts but I also came away saying, I know how I could have done that better. And that, to me, is a mark of an excellent game.

Every game since I've gotten better. Most recently learning when to switch off your early strategy to whichever parameter is lagging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.